What's everyone reading at the moment?

I've just finished reading the new Martina Cole book called hard girls. I think her books are fantastic and i can honestly say i rate all her books (the ones i have read anyway).

Went to see Sherlock Holmes yesterday, which was so awesome I promptly sat down and re-read A Study in Scarlet afterwards :D

i have just read 'The 5 people you meet in heaven' by Mitch Albom . really good read...a proper sort of story if you know what I mean. Cover to cover done in a couple of hours so not exactly taxng but gives you fod for thought. :)

That is a great book -- did you read his "Tuesdays with Morrie"? very good (and, again, quick read).

I am reading "Picture Perfect" by Jodi Picoult. I love her books and I cannot believe that I had not read this one previously. They go fast.

MM

Hi ..
no I haven't read any more of his, hadn't even heard of Mitch until i saw the book on special offer in Asda an thought it sounded like my kinda thing... definitely going to get hold of some of his other stuff now. One of my fave. authors , from a completely different subject, is Philippa Gregory. Loved her stuff for years - although was totally disappointed with the flm production of The Other Boleyn Girl which didn't even scratch the surface of the detail in the book .. but I have learned more about history since reading her tales, than I ever did in history at school.

I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger :)
x

oh i have that on my shelf, my sister passed it onto me.. and i have tried so many times with it but just got 'do' that particular style of writing. They have brought the film out now haven't they? It might be one of the few occassions where seeing the film first might help me get my head into the book. I understand the story, just dont like the particular writing style...
by the way Ali. your before during and after pics are fantastic!!! very inspirational!!

Hi ladies -- I like how well Philippa Gregory writes and her subject matter, but as I did a degree in English History Stuart/Tudor through early Industrial Revolution... she tends to alter the facts to fit her stories. But, her stories are entertaining, if not factually accurate.

I had a really difficult time reading the "Time Traveller's Wife" -- I had to keep flipping back and rereading because I got so muddled up. However, it was very good. I have not seen the movie -- but I might give it go.

I tried 2 times to read "Atonement" watched the movie, and then was able to get through it. So, sometimes the movie does help you sort things out, I think.

I already finished the Picoult book -- needless to say I spent most of yesterday and night reading it. I'll probably go back to "Small Island" by Andrea Levy -- and finish it up.

MM

Last edited:
Small Island is fantastic one of my favorite reads
at the moment i'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by
Steig Larsson
its the first book in a trilogy and anyone who loves Martina Cole
will love this

Small Island is fantastic one of my favorite reads
at the moment i'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by
Steig Larsson
its the first book in a trilogy and anyone who loves Martina Cole
will love this

I saw that on Amazon the other day and was thinking about getting it out of the library.. can I borrow it when you finish? :p What are the libraries like around your mum and dads?

I got the new Stephen King "Under the Dome" and the Steig Larsson's " Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" for Christmas and cannot wait to read them. I went onto Amazon to order the follow-ups to the Steig Larsson and will get them soon too but whilst I was there had to simply purchase the latest Diana Gabaldon novel - Outlander 7 "An Echo in the Bone" - I have waited about 2 years for this fantastic time travel story to come out - its the 7th book in a series. But whilst I wait for that one I must finish the lastest Karin Slaughter Genesis - medical/crime writer.

the nearest Library is in Greenford Jess but its just a small one
Ealing has the main one which is brilliant
You can have my copy once i've finished with it

I'm reading The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker. It's all about the science of language (linguistics) and how we learn language, where it comes from, how we use it, how complicated it is but how easily we learn it, etc.

It's something everyone can relate to because we all speak, don't we? A truly great book, vulgarises pretty smart stuff.

If you like words and languages in general, you're pretty much guaranteed to love this one.

Last edited:
CrazyBrit, so glad to hear from a fellow dieter/linguist. That's actually my field of study, I'm a right geek, I'll read that in my free time when I'm not reading countless amounts of linguistics articles...

What else have you read of his?

The Blank Slate and How the Mind Works. I'm a bit of a linguistics geek myself, although hardly go hardcore at the subject.

I get a bit too caught up with new and interesting things to plug away at a single subject for too long. Jack of all trades, master of none, that's me :D

I'm the opposite, I think the only thing I can do is languages and related things. How the Mind Works is great too, loved it!

I've never really thought about it but that would be something I could probably enjoy. Any recommendations?

Back