What's everyone reading at the moment?

I bought 3 new books today from Waterstones:- Dark Matters by Michelle Paver, His Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger and The Help by Kathryn Stockett!!! Goodness knows why, I have tons and tons of books in my 'to read' pile, but they'd been recommended and I couldn't resist!!!X

Some great buys there hun!!!

i keep picking up Dark Matters...you'll have to let me know how it reads ;)

xoxo

I've just finished reading Her Fearful Symmetry, excellent book, loved every moment of reading it, bit disappointed that I have finished it now :D

I've just picked up The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which is a weird title but I'm enjoying it so far, it seems like it will be interesting and won't take me long to read it. Gonna move onto The Shack after that I think.

Hi Hun!! how are you doing? Gawd ive missed being around here for the last week and half... (ive had a reaction to green tea and ive been itchy like crazy!)

Sooooo glad you loved Her Fearful Symmetry, i knew you would! :D

sounds interesting that book you're reading, i'll have a gander at that lol

oh, im soooo pleased you've got The Shack coming up next!! :D:D:D i really hope you love it! :)

ive got more babies lol...won a huge amount of ebay and i went to a small book store that was closing down to everything was 50%-70% off! i could resist!!...ive got to order new bookcases lol..

I'm also an avid reader...Tell No-One is a really good book hun! I won't say any more about it though :)

I'm currently in the middle of 3 books:

1. Mortal Remains by Kathy Reichs

2. A Time To Kill - John Grisham (I wanted to see how similar it was to the film)

3. A Delusion of Satan - Frances Hill (true story of the Salem witch trials - very good for those with an interest in this period in history)

I love Kathy Reich, ive read all of hers, shes great.

I'll check out A Delusion of Satan. Have you read The Heretics Daughter? thats a similar thing :)

I love Kathy Reich, ive read all of hers, shes great.

I'll check out A Delusion of Satan. Have you read The Heretics Daughter? thats a similar thing :)

Ooo, I'd forgotten I'd started that book! Must hunt it out and finish it! :) xx

I just read Thirteen by Sebastian Beaumont - I could not it down, loved it :) Can not wait for my new book coming in the post Slivia Plath - The Bell Jar, classic!

Hi Hun!! how are you doing? Gawd ive missed being around here for the last week and half... (ive had a reaction to green tea and ive been itchy like crazy!)

Sooooo glad you loved Her Fearful Symmetry, i knew you would! :D

sounds interesting that book you're reading, i'll have a gander at that lol

oh, im soooo pleased you've got The Shack coming up next!! :D:D:D i really hope you love it! :)

ive got more babies lol...won a huge amount of ebay and i went to a small book store that was closing down to everything was 50%-70% off! i could resist!!...ive got to order new bookcases lol..
Hey there hunnie :D I've not been online very much - just been checking in but not posting - had a bit of a writers block ( :p ) so am just getting back into the swing of posting again now. I did miss your posts before I had my break, was wondering where you'd got to but figured you'd be reading a good book somewhere :p Sorry to hear about your reaction - hope you're better now, its awful when you get one of them!

I've finished the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, it was fascinating - loved it and there is an explanation of the odd title in the book :D But I loved the whole thing and reading about what life was like for people on those little islands during the war. I'm now reading We Are at War by Simon Garfield as I'm into war themed stuff now - its excellent, won't take me long to read, its diaries from 5 different people through out the war, gives a really good insight into life back then.

I've got The Shack out and am gonna start it today :) I like anything you recommend, you have a good sense for interesting books :D

Well done on all your ebays wins - my bookcases are becoming full now too - keep them in the spare room. Have you managed to get your new cases yet? xoxo

I'm reading The Girl Who Played with Fire at the moment. Being probably the last person in the world to start reading the Millenium books!!

Ive just started the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and its really lovely. I was fascinated by the title so looked it up on Amazon and downloaded it this evening.

Ive just started the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and its really lovely. I was fascinated by the title so looked it up on Amazon and downloaded it this evening.
Oh fantastic! I'm glad to have told you about it - you'll enjoy the whole book, its a really nice little quick read.

Another one you might like is 84 Charing Cross Road, I've not read it yet but its highly recommended from a friend who recommended the Guernsey Literary one and its on my list of wants. You might want to look it up too :)

I'm reading The Girl Who Played with Fire at the moment. Being probably the last person in the world to start reading the Millenium books!!

nope.. you've got company..lol.. i keep seeing them in the bookstores always marked down as well.. i dunno, i can't seem to be grabbed by them yet..

I just finished the Harlan Coben book.. it was great.. looking forward to reading more of his works.. Right now i'm reading Infinity's child by Harry Stein. I'm trying to read it quickly because I just saw the new Tami Hoag is out and another is due the end of December !! SO excited. I love Christmas time for book releases. I still have to catch up on my Kay Hooper and Jonathan Kellerman novels.. NOT ENOUGH TIME TO READ ! ugh.. lol

Have you read any more of the Guernsey book Lynn? I'm halfway through my We are at War and I'm really enjoying it, I'll probably finish it this weekend then I'm going to read The Shack if I get reading time - got a busy-ish week ahead next wk :)

Have you read any more of the Guernsey book Lynn? I'm halfway through my We are at War and I'm really enjoying it, I'll probably finish it this weekend then I'm going to read The Shack if I get reading time - got a busy-ish week ahead next wk :)

I finished it too quickly:(, absolutely loved it. When i started reading it, it came across as a little bit 'cutesy' if thats the right word, but once the stories started unfolding it was spellbinding. The characters are wonderful, even the awful woman in it. So funny in places and so tragic in others.

Ive looked up 84 Charing Cross Road but its not on download unfortunately so i might have to order that one. Have a feeling ive seen the film of it though as it seems very familiar.

I really want to read some more on how the Channel Islands coped during the occupation. I have been to Jersey and visited the underground hospital built by the Todt slaves. It had a big impact on me, such a devastingly awful sense of fear and hopelessness there.

I've just come back from holiday, having had more time to read than for ages.
I read:

Prep - by Curtis Sittenfeld
Quite an interesting insight into a girl's mind, but seems a bit self-indulgent. Well written, but ultimately not desperately satisfying.

One Day - by David Nicholls
I really enjoyed this. It leaps about a lot, but that's the nature of the book that it is. And it did actually surprise me, as few books do. Heartily recommended, as well worth a read.

One Moment One Morning - by Sarah Rayner
This is one that I just picked up in Waterstones as the third in a "3 for 2" because it looked interesting. It was relatively so, and I quite enjoyed it, but it's not what I would think of as "a really good book"

The 19th Wife - by David Ebershoff
This, on the other hand, is A Really Good Book. It's one we've taken on holiday about 3 times now, and brought back unread, cos the cover is uninspiring, and the blurb on the back sounds vaguely interesting but not sufficiently attractive to make you open it. (Why we bought it, therefore I don't know, but I'm glad we did!) So please ignore both of these, and READ THIS BOOK. It was absolutely fascinating in its view of a different way of life (the polygamous spin-off sect from the Mormons), was well-written, not easily put-down, and may actually be my Book Of The Year this year.

I just thought you might like some recommendations!

I finished it too quickly:(, absolutely loved it. When i started reading it, it came across as a little bit 'cutesy' if thats the right word, but once the stories started unfolding it was spellbinding. The characters are wonderful, even the awful woman in it. So funny in places and so tragic in others.

Ive looked up 84 Charing Cross Road but its not on download unfortunately so i might have to order that one. Have a feeling ive seen the film of it though as it seems very familiar.

I really want to read some more on how the Channel Islands coped during the occupation. I have been to Jersey and visited the underground hospital built by the Todt slaves. It had a big impact on me, such a devastingly awful sense of fear and hopelessness there.
Yes its great isn't it, I too wasn't sure at first but once I got into it I knew it was worth going on with it. I loved all the characters too although I do get a little fed up that Christians are always portrayed as some sort of nasty lunatic, as a Christian myself I can say that this is not the case and certainly not the way I act toward anyone!

But aside from that, the story was very good and I enjoyed actually reading something intelligent for once, instead of this modern jargon we get now and text speak stuff. I actually miss the fact that people could write interesting letters, I used to love getting stuff from my penpals thru the post when I was little but no one writes anymore and even if they don't, its hardly intelligent anymore!

I too am wanting to delve into the history of Guernsey a bit more, its certainly made me curious.

I'm currently busy reading We are at War by Simon Garfield and its heartbreaking in places when the little ones get taken off for evacuation. Must have been a horrible time, bless their hearts. I want his other book too so am going to order it soon as this weather clears up and orders start coming through again.

Oh my, I saw someone mention Room by Emma Donoghue, so I looked it up on Amazon. I downloaded it last night and ive just finished reading it. I dont know how to describe how this book made me feel, I think i just want to cry. If you havnt already, you just have to get this book, but do it at a weekend when you dont have to go to work the next day after being up half the night reading it.

Oh my, I saw someone mention Room by Emma Donoghue, so I looked it up on Amazon. I downloaded it last night and ive just finished reading it. I dont know how to describe how this book made me feel, I think i just want to cry. If you havnt already, you just have to get this book, but do it at a weekend when you dont have to go to work the next day after being up half the night reading it.
Yes BunnyHops talked about it, I'm just wondering where she is, hope she is alright, haven't seen her online in yonks - having said that shes probably got her nose in a good book somewhere :D

I will definitely try Room after a few people have recommended it. I will try and get it from Waterstones :) X

I'm currently working my way through the Twilight Saga and am reading Eclipse now.

I'm currently working my way through the Twilight Saga and am reading Eclipse now.
What are they like? I've fancied reading them for a while. I want to see Eclipse and New Moon too - my mum runs the tv though and only got Sky in downstairs - she doesn't want to watch them so I can't. I'll have to get the dvd's ;) Shame though when they're showing on Sky this Christmas :)

Let me know what the books are like hunnie x

just bought the true blood and twilight books so will be starting them shortly :)

Back