What's everyone reading at the moment?

We Need to Talk about Kevin was such a good read & until quite near the end you just don't realise what is going on.

I know what you mean - the end was brutal! It's one of those books that stays with you for a while - which is always the mark of a good read in my opinion :)

my copy of 'we need to talk about kevin' arrived this morning, sounds geeky but im excited to start reading it :D

The Good Women of China by Xinran for the second time. I let someone borrow it and didn't get it back.

It is amazing. Xinran was a radio presenter on a woman's programme in China in the 80s. She collected stories from women who used to write to her and also phone in. The programme was very censored and it's a testament to her that she can tell these stories. The repression of these women is very sad. That communism gave the women hope of equality was the biggest lie - as very little changed...they were just expected to do the things they always did and then all the things the men did too.

It gives you and amazing insight into this time in China's history and is spellbinding.

my copy of 'we need to talk about kevin' arrived this morning, sounds geeky but im excited to start reading it :D

It's not geeky, I get excited about starting new books too!

Finished 'The Post-Birthday World' now, couldn't put it down towards the end! I didn't enjoy it as much as 'We Need to Talk about Kevin' but it was still good. Have fun out of things to read now... Anyone have any recommendations for me?

I'm reading The Weight of Silence. ONly two pages in though lol.

Just reading Paradise Jazz by Kat Pomfret. Really well written and a modern story but somehow there's something missing and it's taking me a long time to read.

I'm reading Before The Storm by Diane Chamberlain! Similar style to Jodi Picoult! Liking it! Next on my list is The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber - the televised version has just been on TV but I didn't see it x.

Samprand said:

It's a brilliant book! I wouldn't say it's geeky at all! It's very harrowing and I found myself totally undecided about what I thought about his Mum! One minute I was overcome with sympathy for her and the next minute I wanted to throttle her! It's very cleverly written! Let us know what you think! X

I'm reading Lyn Andrews - A Secret in the Family, quite good. Have recently found books by Susan Lewis, they are brilliant. Have read 3 and am having a Kindle for my birthday so will be downloading more of her's when I get it.

rainbow said:
I've just read Sister by Rosamund Lupton - it was fantastic. I've just started Before the Storm, Diane Chamberlain, it seems good so far x

Have you finished it? I'm just coming to the end now! What did you think? Very Jodi Picoultesque! Im enjoying it but preferred The Lost Daughter! I've got Sister lined up to read- what did you like about it? X

I've just started reading The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, I've had the book for about 8 months now and never fancied it until last week when ITV aired the drama based on the book, I really enjoyed it and thought that the book is usually better. xxx Looby

I'm now on the final book in the Left Behind series, Kingdom Come, so far so good. I've lots of books to read & not sure which will be next:p

Was going to read The Crimson Petal and the White next, but seeing that Water For Elephants is out at the cinema (with Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson) I was inspired to read the book first! Just started it! It's about circus life in the 1930s and so far so good! I love the style of writing! X

Last edited:
loobylou said:
I've just started reading The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, I've had the book for about 8 months now and never fancied it until last week when ITV aired the drama based on the book, I really enjoyed it and thought that the book is usually better. xxx Looby

I read it recently, thought it was much better than the tv thingy, I bought it without realising it was a true story at first...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Wicca303 said:
Snap. I just finished it [Land of Painted Caves by Jean Auel] and am still not sure the 'end' was really worth having to trudge through the rest of the book. The books seemed to have got progressively worse as the series has gone on.

I finally plodded through the finish line while trapped on an airplane. Really disappointing in so many ways; I could have done without the last two in the series really. Boo. :(

Back