What's everyone reading at the moment?

Just night two new books but have had to hide them from OH so he doesn't realise they slipped in the supermarket shop!!

After the party and meet me at cupcake cafe

I'm reading Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde, unusual story set slightly in the future where people's social status is set by the colours they can see.
Have just bought Water for Elephants though - and managed to find a copy that had the original cover rather than the movie one, which always makes me happy!

Have just bought Water for Elephants though - and managed to find a copy that had the original cover rather than the movie one, which always makes me happy!

I'm exactly the same - I refuse to buy books if they have the new movie cover on haha! It's a matter of principle :)

slimmingjess said:
I'm exactly the same - I refuse to buy books if they have the new movie cover on haha! It's a matter of principle :)

I hate it when they change covers esp, when your buying a series like the sookie stackhouse ones, I have about three different styles in my collection of these, but am always on the lookout for the old covers...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

I hate it when they change covers esp, when your buying a series like the sookie stackhouse ones, I have about three different styles in my collection of these, but am always on the lookout for the old covers...

Oh I hate that too, I am a creature of neatness and things being in order so having books of the same series with different covers really does my head in, especially if they make the books bigger or smaller in size when they relaunch them! Haha, weird what drives us nuts isn't it :D

Miss Mango said:
Oh I hate that too, I am a creature of neatness and things being in order so having books of the same series with different covers really does my head in, especially if they make the books bigger or smaller in size when they relaunch them! Haha, weird what drives us nuts isn't it :D

Yeah, I think it's my o.c.d kicking in, I scour bookshops or online for original covers/editions... xx

I think it partly annoys me because often the original covers are beautiful (The Water for Elephants one has a stunning front cover), and the movie ones are always just random overly airbrushed shots of the actors.

Littlered81 said:
I'm reading Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde, unusual story set slightly in the future where people's social status is set by the colours they can see.

Oh I loved Shades of Grey. A couple of years until the sequel is due I think. :(

Completely agree about film/tv tie in covers and changing the size etc of books partway through a series. So annoying!

I'm currently reading 'Game of thrones' by George R.R. Martin. Really good! Love the series aswell but I'm glad I'm reading the book now so I'm not comparing it to the series too much. It's just the other way round now! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have just read 'Limitless' - there was a film about it recently - about a designer drug. Very good. I am almost finished with The Maltese Falcoln - yes there was a film about it too! My book club I belong to goes for all sorts of books and one lady is particularly into Film Noir as am I, so we also get to see the films in her place as well as read the books.

Another good one was The Pirate's daughter - it is about Erroll Flynn. I had recently heard about his time in Cuba on Radio 4 so that tied in nicely.

Away from Book Club I adore Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter and were hunter seires, the Sookie books and Twilight stuff too! I don't mind romance as long as there is a bit of raunch in it! No Georgette Heyer for me!!!

Oh and I loved The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. I am really into Scandanavian crime fiction at the moment.

I've now finished the last of the Left Behind series, even though I thoroughly enjoyed them all, I now feel a relief as I can chose what to read next;)

So I'm about to read The Kenneth Williams Diaries & if I like it followed by The Kenneth Williams Letters.

Roziee said:
Anyone recommend any good crime books? Thrillers suff like that?

Have you read any of the Dexter books? Also read the ghost which was crime(y).
Although I find it hard to find a really good crime book tho :-s

I'm reading "the dome" by Stephen king. Massive book but loving it.

Am really struggling to get a sumner book. I used to love going into a certain bookshop and taking advantage of their 3 for 2 offer; now I see nothing that grabs ms. I seem to have more joy in the large supermarket; pick books up for £5 or whatever.
What can people recommend??

I am currently finding some good stuff on Amazon, really cheap, as in a penny then £2.80 postage, I got the Bourbon Kid series that way and they are great, funny but with a good story too...

Just finished Water For Elephants! Thoroughly enjoyed it, beautifully written and such an interesting and unusual topic (1930s circus life in America)! Just started The Crimson Petal and the White! So far....brilliant!

Currently on the go I have:
Blogging All-In-One for Dummies
The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne
Juliet by .........don't remember

But not getting much read because I have two final course assessments due in totalling about 10000 words. Do have lots piled up for my summer reading though.

Back