What's everyone reading at the moment?

Same here......I've never really got into this genre but sounds like it's worth a bash. I am reading "Behind Closed Doors" by Jenny Tomlin which is a true story of abuse, neglect and survival against the odds. She is Martine McCutcheon's mum and it is so cruel - especially to think that she was a 60's child and children had so little support not so many years ago. Thank goodness for Childline!

I've started to read 'We Need To Talk About Kevin' by Lionel Shriver but I just can't get into it, the writing style isn't my cup of tea at all and even though I've persevered it's just not doing it for me.

The other day a book was suggested to me, 'Fat Is A Feminist Issue' by Susie Orbach, it arrived today from Amazon and only cost a few quid. It's all about how we think about food, and the way we use food to react to situations. I'm planning to start reading it tonight and am looking forward to it :) The second half of the same book ('Fat Is A Feminist Issue II') is kind of like a mini-sequel where the author sets a programme to address compulsive overeating and break the binge-purge cycle that I'm sure we've all got experience with x

I've started to read 'We Need To Talk About Kevin' by Lionel Shriver but I just can't get into it, the writing style isn't my cup of tea at all and even though I've persevered it's just not doing it for me.

The other day a book was suggested to me, 'Fat Is A Feminist Issue' by Susie Orbach, it arrived today from Amazon and only cost a few quid. It's all about how we think about food, and the way we use food to react to situations. I'm planning to start reading it tonight and am looking forward to it :) The second half of the same book ('Fat Is A Feminist Issue II') is kind of like a mini-sequel where the author sets a programme to address compulsive overeating and break the binge-purge cycle that I'm sure we've all got experience with x

I've read both books, I feel disappointed for you not being able to 'get into' We need to talk about Kevin' it's a brilliant book.

I read 'Fat Is A Feminist Issue' whilst at uni & from what I can remember it's very interesting.

Let us know what it's like xxxx

I am reading The Drop by David Baldacci it is very good as most of his are, I have also downloaded the Adrian Moles on to my Kindle but I can't read them on the bus because I laugh so much people think I'm a nutter. I am unsure about my Kindle (a birthday present) it is so convenient and light but just doesn't feel right, no heft, and I hate not being able to refer back easily and read the blurb on the back cover.

I am deffo going to get a kindle in April for my birthday but I am same as you - not sure ......... Love my books xxxx

I was sceptical about my kindle I love secondhand books but I am a
Convert It is the best thing I have bought and I can still read books when I am at home :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Stick with 'We Need To Talk About Kevin' - it takes a while to get into (I wasn't keen on the style at first either) but it really is a great book x

I've just finished A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving - took me a long time to get through this but it is a very good story.

Next i'm moving onto Starter For Ten by David Nicholls.

I'm on page 46 of 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' and there have only been a few paragraphs where I've thought "Oh that's interesting". I'll keep reading though as loads of people (both on here and other places) have said it takes a while to get going, and I've read lots of comments in other places saying how much they loved the book. Maybe it's a bit of a labour of love lol x

Im currently on a Harry potter marathon. Started on Christmas day and I'm 1/3 of the way through the half blood prince. I just love the books and the films. Re-reading it and 2nd time around I'm noticing that characters from the final film are introduced way back in the first book. They way everything fits together and the whole world JK Rowling has created is just sublime in my opinion.

And yes, I am a big kid!

I'm on page 46 of 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' and there have only been a few paragraphs where I've thought "Oh that's interesting". I'll keep reading though as loads of people (both on here and other places) have said it takes a while to get going, and I've read lots of comments in other places saying how much they loved the book. Maybe it's a bit of a labour of love lol x

I think it takes a while to get into the style of writing & who is who. If you can keep reading I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I gave up with 'we need to talk about Kevin'. I really wanted to get into it but it just didn't happen. I'll give it another go at some point.

Am on to "Case Histories" by Kate Atkinson - only just started but liking already and have the TV version on Sky Plus to watch but have to read the book first lol

I've finished The Snowman (Jo Nesbo) which was amazing and gripping! I'm now on Room (Emma Donahue) which I just don't want to put down- it's fascinating and different from anything I've ever read before!

Room is brilliant, I actually skim read a bit because it was so exciting, I was lying reading it in the dark on my iPhone at 1am almost shaking. It's so good but so sad at the same time because of their predicament. Just wait ;)

Evening everyone, just thought i'd hop onto this thread, it's great to see what everyone else is reading and to pick up some new recommendations!

To those finding it difficult to stick with We Need To Talk About Kevin, I urge you to keep trying!! My copy sat on my shelf for about a year and I started it about 5 times but just couldn't get into it. Finally I forced myself to persevere and it was so worth it!! It's not the best to 'force' yourself into a book, but sometimes you have to!! :)

In contrast, I disliked Room. I think my idea of what the plot was going to be was a lot different to the actual story though.

I finished My Sister's Keeper today - cried my eyes out!!! Got so many new books lined up though, can't decide what to go for next!!

Thanks Dextersmum & Fattibumbum!! I can't wait! It's written in a facscinating style and I haven't a clue how the plot is going to unfold which makes it all the more exciting!! My predicament however is that I have also just become addicted to knitting and have started a teddybear for my friend's baby!! I am totally torn between the two activities as I'm desperate to crack on with both!!! Added to the 'stress', I simply HAD to watch 'Birdsong' on BBC1 tonight as it's an adaptation of one of my favourite books EVER which I read years ago!! *Sigh* it's such a shame I have to go out to work with such fun and entertaining things to do, but I suppose something has to fund my Kindle, my Sky subscription and my wool !!!!

Miss. S this is why I love this forum, and specifically this thread! You get to hear different people's perspectives on things! I suppose Room wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea! I also loved '...Kevin'! I read it a few years ago (?2007) whilst on a weekend away in Salzburg! I was so engrossed, everytime Salzburg is mentioned I think of the book! What makes it more bizarre and spooky is that whilst we were in the hotel room the news about the Virginia Tech shooting came on the TV and I'd just been reading Kevin!

Ooh and I lurrved My Sister's Keeper too! I have so many fab books lined up on my Kindle! Next in line is The Hunger Games! I've heard so much about it and the Amazon reviews are so excellent I can't miss out!!X

Back