What's everyone reading at the moment?

Finished living dead in Dallas and enjoyed it in the end. Glad I stuck with it!

Reading the handmaid's tale now and so far very much enjoying it:) read about a fifth of it today.

I think PS I love you is one of her worst, I couldn't get into it, however, her others are brilliant....give them a whirl :)

Well, I might . . . if I'm not too deeply scarred :D

Have you read the Kate Atkinson books? They were recently televised. Case Studies, One Good Turn and When Will There be Good News?

All excellent, I loved them

Yay a book club. I'm currently reading about six books but the ones near my bed are. Philip Pullman's his dark materials which I'm reading for the third time because I love all three books. The devils of loudun by a.Huxley and Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury which I'm also re reading because it's beautiful and sad.

Mini_Mog said:
Finished living dead in Dallas and enjoyed it in the end. Glad I stuck with it!

Reading the handmaid's tale now and so far very much enjoying it:) read about a fifth of it today.

I love the handmaids tale.enjoy and keep reading

katiebaby said:
I love cecilia aherne :) her books are easy reads for me.

I am open for suggestions as I am normally stuck reading the same kinds of genres but since I had my kindle I'm trying to broaden my horizon although noone can really twist my arm on sci fi it's so not my thing lol

If you don't like sci fi as such can I suggest the side step to Douglas Adams the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. It's in space but the writing is extremely funny and very clever. You might like it even if you didn't like the film. :) personal opinion obviously but I love his style.

bluecatlady said:
If you don't like sci fi as such can I suggest the side step to Douglas Adams the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. It's in space but the writing is extremely funny and very clever. You might like it even if you didn't like the film. :) personal opinion obviously but I love his style.

OMG! I never thought I would find a hhttg fan on here... It was the first book I downloaded on my kindle, natch, as I couldn't get over the irony of reading it on the thing he predicted an ebook... On a regular basis I use hhg quotes for my status updates, and even now re-reading them makes me cry with laughter... x

Will deffo have to give hgttg a go as not sure about scifi genre. I have Philip pullman's dark materials on shelf too.......OMIGOD too many books!!! Lol

Thanks for the suggestion I'll put it on my to read list x

dextersmum said:
Will deffo have to give hgttg a go as not sure about scifi genre. I have Philip pullman's dark materials on shelf too.......OMIGOD too many books!!! Lol

Know what you mean I keep downloading them and thinking I will catch up... doubt it mind...x

Mini_Mog said:
I love it so far:) really want to read her other books now!

She has written some fab books. The Blind Assassin and Cats Eye are great, my absolute favourite though is Alias Grace.
If you like the theme of alternative society in Handmaids Tale you might also like Oryx and Crake, kind of weird but good!!

Miss.S said:
She has written some fab books. The Blind Assassin and Cats Eye are great, my absolute favourite though is Alias Grace.
If you like the theme of alternative society in Handmaids Tale you might also like Oryx and Crake, kind of weird but good!!

Oryx and crake is on my to read list. I do love dystopias:) I've heard of blind assassin before but didn't realise it was by her.

Catch-22

I loved Catch-22. I have had it on my shelf for years and kept putting off reading it thinking it might be too manish/technical for me, but it wasn't. It was fantastic - reminded me of MASH, except for different war/country etc.

OOh, I felt the same way about that book. Had it for years and was really pleased and enjoyed it when I read it and love being able to explain to people that catch-22 is not just an expression, lol

OMG! I never thought I would find a hhttg fan on here... It was the first book I downloaded on my kindle, natch, as I couldn't get over the irony of reading it on the thing he predicted an ebook... On a regular basis I use hhg quotes for my status updates, and even now re-reading them makes me cry with laughter... x

Oh I'm a fan allright, I have the books, the radio series, the origional tv series and the new Tv film! But of course like a true fan I prefer the books though.

First read the HHGTTG as a teen and was even in a ZZ9 fan club. Now I just have to keep re-reading and finding it funny.

Loooovveee stephen fry as the voice of the Guide in the new film who I feel did a fitting tribute to the coolness of Peter Jones's origional voice over.:D

I adore His Dark Materials. The books are beautifully crafted and so vivid at prevoking a visual image of what you are reading.

Hated the film, I survived 3 minutes as it was nothing like the dark looming childrens playground city I had pictured from the opening of the first book. I own three presses, slightly ott I know but I keep buying a full set and lending one out shouting READ THIS at friends, lol... Mind you I own more than that of HHGTTG. Enjoy

Back