What's everyone reading at the moment?

Just finished Anna dressed in blood which I loved! Now onto We Need to Talk About Kevin. I watched the film a couple of days ago and I've had this book for many years, started it, didn't like the writing style and abandoned it to the book and magazine graveyard under the bed. I really want to give it another go. Hopefully I'll finish it this time!

I've read We Need to Talk About Kevin & IMO the film was a good representation of the book. I agree the writing style of the book is difficult to come to terms with, but there will come a point in the book when it all makes sense & falls together. I'm sure this time you'll get to grips with it & finish the book, it's worth it.

Happy Holidays said:
I've read We Need to Talk About Kevin & IMO the film was a good representation of the book. I agree the writing style of the book is difficult to come to terms with, but there will come a point in the book when it all makes sense & falls together. I'm sure this time you'll get to grips with it & finish the book, it's worth it.

I found that the film took a while to get your head around, it was cleverly done- slowly all the little bits you see start to slot in place like a jigsaw. I've got a lot more patience with films and books than I did even a few years ago. That is if I ever start it! I've read the first page twice now & keep getting rudely interrupted by husbands wanting lunch and children wanting drinks!

Happy Holidays said:

i read this book a couple of years ago and does keep you gripped

Just finished Anna dressed in blood which I loved! Now onto We Need to Talk About Kevin. I watched the film a couple of days ago and I've had this book for many years, started it, didn't like the writing style and abandoned it to the book and magazine graveyard under the bed. I really want to give it another go. Hopefully I'll finish it this time!

Ooh, I've got it gathering dust on a shelf too. Got it about a year ago but never got round to it. May have to bump it up my list if everyone's reading it.

So where was I? Oh yes, Once by James Herbert. Dear oh dear... really not my cup of tea at all but I did finish it and instantly regretted the hours of my life that I will never get back. Ho-hum. I then read Lee Child's Killing Floor, the first Jack Reacher novel. Really enjoyed that. Fast-paced, non-stop storyline that is nice quick, easy read. Great for holiday (which is where I was). Will definitely be reading more of those (when I don't quite know but they'll be going on the list). I then read John Grisham's The Litigators. It has had some less-than-favourable reviews so wasn't expecting much but I really enjoyed it. The general subject matter is much the same as his other legal thrillers but he seems to be developing a knack for writing decent comical characters. It wasn't laugh-out-loud funny or anything but a good story. I'm now reading the debut novel by Asa Larsson (marketed with the tag-line "If you like Steig Larsson you'll love Asa Larsson"). Thus far they are alike in name only I'm afraid. Again I'll keep going with it but it's really quite poor.

Andrea81 I'm reading a biography of V.S. Naipaul & was drawn to the book because VS Naipaul grew up on Trinindad & then came to England to study & I thought it would be about his life, which it was but only in trinidad, now he's in England it's all about his eduction & sucess. I'm now wondering whether to give up & start something else & reading your post about hours you'll never get back has made me think again. Maybe I'll give it another chapter & see.

I'm about a third through we need to talk about Kevin. As a parent this book is very disturbing. Not in a horror kind of way, but you can't imagine what it's like to have a child turn out like that. Awful! The style of writing has taken a whole to get used to. It's written in letter form from kevin's mother Eva to her ex husband and Kevin's father Franklin. Her writing is quite flowery and is basically telling the story in the form of recollection and musing which does go off on tangents. I am enjoying it, and glad I gave it another go, it's also quite easy to pick up and put down in the middle of a chapter without getting lost which is good as I often get 5 minutes reading time before I end up having to put it down again to do other things!

Not sure what I will read next, I need to have a look on my goodreads 'to read' list:) I really want to re-read the hunger games but I'm trying to avoid re-reading as there are so many books out there I want to read!

I'm about a third through we need to talk about Kevin. As a parent this book is very disturbing. Not in a horror kind of way, but you can't imagine what it's like to have a child turn out like that. Awful! The style of writing has taken a whole to get used to. It's written in letter form from kevin's mother Eva to her ex husband and Kevin's father Franklin. Her writing is quite flowery and is basically telling the story in the form of recollection and musing which does go off on tangents. I am enjoying it, and glad I gave it another go, it's also quite easy to pick up and put down in the middle of a chapter without getting lost which is good as I often get 5 minutes reading time before I end up having to put it down again to do other things!

Not sure what I will read next, I need to have a look on my goodreads 'to read' list:) I really want to re-read the hunger games but I'm trying to avoid re-reading as there are so many books out there I want to read!

What's your goodreads username? I wouldn't mind following your reads on there if that's ok?

I always hope that a rubbish book gets better Michelle, hence why I always finish it. If you think it's not going to get any better it might be worth giving it up as a bad loss. Hope it gets better for you. x

Andrea81 said:
What's your goodreads username? I wouldn't mind following your reads on there if that's ok?

I always hope that a rubbish book gets better Michelle, hence why I always finish it. If you think it's not going to get any better it might be worth giving it up as a bad loss. Hope it gets better for you. x

PM me your user name & I'll add you:)

STILL reading Game of Thrones! I can't believe it's taking me so long! I hate to say it but I'm struggling with it and don't know why as it has such rave reviews! When I pick it up I enjoy it- it's well written and the characterisation (there are many many characters) is brilliant, but somehow I'm not finding it a page turner and not excited to get back to it as I often am with books! X

Hi everyone, I love to read, don't have a specific type of book I like a variety of styles, right now I'm reading "Through a glass darkly" by Karleen Koen...so far I'm really enjoying it

funcurls said:
STILL reading Game of Thrones! I can't believe it's taking me so long! I hate to say it but I'm struggling with it and don't know why as it has such rave reviews! When I pick it up I enjoy it- it's well written and the characterisation (there are many many characters) is brilliant, but somehow I'm not finding it a page turner and not excited to get back to it as I often am with books! X

Which one are you reading at the moment?

Happy Holidays said:
Oh dear it's not a good start then, I thought that one was really good & the 3rd one was a little slow.

I think it's because it's a totally new genre for me- unlike anything I would normally read! Also I've been really busy lately, and had a lot going on with Mum which also takes up a lot of thinking space and consumes you, so maybe if I was able to sit down for long periods I would become more absorbed in it! And it's such a long read you have to be able to devote the time! I will crack it though!! X

I have managed to avoid Harry potter-- no more!!

My dd has just started P3 and their tables are named after characters and my dd wants to read the book, I thought they were a bit much for 6yrs olds but as I haven't read them maybe they are suitable, thoughts?

16 lost : 51 to goal

lynz_willgettotarget2012 said:
I am reading boot camp by Kate Harrison, some light reading hoping for inspiration lol xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I just got this book too. Got to finish another first though!

Sammy

Back