When is it ok to Lie??

Phew!!! Well averted !!!!

:dancing_snowman:

Well, hubby has agreed to santa it this year since he is so young but wants to "control" santa as he gets older. Yes it is all due to money and not wanting our son to be upset/disappointed when we cant afford what he wants. I have agreed we will set some rules as to what santa does/does not provide but as all he has asked for this year is a tunnel for trains (no mention of trains to go through this tunnel though :giggle:) and a fire helmet it's not really a problem. I will cope with the rules next year or the year after.

The thing is theres no 'right' or 'wrong' way to do the whole Santa thing. I have one friend who was told ALL her presents came from Santa, every last one, whereas in our family we asked Santa for our main pressie (still to this day referred to as our Santa Claus pressie) and the others came from my mum and dad. Ok I know its what Im used to but I think that makes SO much more sense, L could never understand why she never got presents from her parents or grandparents.

Keeping a rein on the whole Santa thing doesnt mean spoiling the magic for a young child, it can be carefully managed by parents the way YOU want to. Why not start now of introducing the idea even that Santa brings ONE present to every child and if thats what you start doing the wee one will be more than happy with that :)

In our house we do it the same as when I was a child. We have a stocking filled with little things (toothbrush, paper, pens, an orange?!, chocolate etc) that father christmas leaves on the end of the bed in the middle of the night. As a child there was nothing more exciting than waking up to hear rustling wrapping paper. We could wake mum up in the middle of the night to open them.:D

All other presents under the tree are from family members. I suppose this way we always knew to ask for things we might be able to afford and likewise, our children know that we spend the money so they get what we can afford. Father Christmas just brings the little extra things that we don't necessarily want or need but the whole stocking thing is far too fun to ever stop. He still sometimes brings one for me! :D

Laura - we did Christmas the same way as you. I think I would like to carry that on to my kids.

and in my family too.

Laura the stocking was always the first thing to be plundered. In the toe there was always a tangerine or an orange, the heel was always nuts or sweeties.

Another part of the fun and build up to Christmas was searching the house for the presents that came from mum and dad. We knew there was no point in looking for the one Santa was bringing. The note requesting that one went up the chimney in December. Boy were we good from that day on until Christmas day because Santa was all seeing and knew who had been really bad and that child's present would not arrive. It never happened in our house ( I wonder why) as we were never naughty enough but we knew it was true that it did happen because our mum and dad had told us.

Christmas day started for us at about 4 a.m.

It was truly magical..............

Back