Who are you dieting for?

Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum and please, forgive me if I come across as preaching, it is certainly not my intention.

I think that many people do start making changes for others, but if your 'heart's not in it' then it will always be much harder and more of a struggle.

It really does help to be mentally in the right place before you start and to support your physical changes with the mental mindshifts that becoming thinner often brings.

IMO the two go hand-in-hand and the resolution behind the why do needs to come from within..

Best wishes

Last edited:
Honestly.. I am dieting for 3 people/things..

Myself..
My boyfriend
&
my modelling.

I have suffered with depression for 6 years down to bullying which made me extremely unconfident, since then I have been down about everything about me pretty much.. :(
My confidence issues are putting a HUGE strain on my relationship, we have been together 5 years in January 2010 but 1 day I think he is just going to give up as I cause horrible arguments through jelousy of other girls.. :(
I have been modelling for 3 years.. :D I love it but want to branch out to commercial and magazine work, & for castings I do not want to be classed as a plus size model (even though I am only a size 12 now!)

Hiya. Fair play to ya hon. Bullying is so damaging mentally. Really grinds ya down but ya know what? I believe our life experiences shape us into the people we are and often for the better but we can only see it when we start trying to build our confidence and heal a little. I reckon the best thing we can do is live our lives best we can, achieve our goals, and be able to say yeah they (the bullies) made my life a misery but I am fighting back now and I will win by being the best I can be and starting to love myself at least a bit.

I know this may sound like claptrap to you esp if you're in depression right now but I hope I have struck a cord with you in some way.:) Great siggy pic btw!

I suppose it's both really for most people (that i know - we're all different :)). Of course we all want to feel great about ourselves, but it's also nice to be able to walk down the street and 'fit in' instead of stand out for being overweight. I fear going out in public so much because of rude remarks people have said to me in the past, complete strangers just commenting on how fat i am. So it's both :) i hope to be able to walk down the street with confidence and not fear other people, but most of all i'm doing this for myself. Everyone deserves to feel good. :)

Honestly, it's completely for myself. There's a health reason and also a bit of a vain reason. My dad suffered a stroke back in 2004 in his late 40s. My mom has had two heart attacks in her mid 40s. Both are obese. Diabetes and high blood pressure run in both sides of my family. I'm only 25 but I know that at the weight I am and with my bad eating habits, I'm headed the same way.

The vain reason, well, I'd really just like to be a single digit size. A US size 8, I would be perfectly happy with. It's a clothes thing, really.

It's for myself - though one of the secretaries at work mentioned I looked thinner in the face and said, you'll have the girls flocking to your door in no time. :sigh:

I thought everyone knew I played for the other team. It's crushing to know you're not gossiped about!

well ive got quite a few reasons, here goes.

1. mainly because ive had 5 miscarriages, overweight and obese women miscarry more healthy babies than women who are a healthy weight. i had 2 children when i was 10st so my thinking is lose the weight and hopefully my chances of a successful pregnancy will improve.

2. my 5 yr old asked me why my legs were so big. it really hurt. she then asked if i was fat! the most hurtful thing ive ever heard cuz it was my baby asking. crazy i know, shes only a little girl but i dont want her to see mommy as fat. my mom has always been overweight and as a child it was embarrassing. dont want my kids to ever feel that way. now im 11st 6lbs she keeps telling me im thin now.lol.

3. for myself, i love going out feeling confident about how i look.

4. work, use to be a boxercise instructor, personal trainer until i had a bad car crash and hurt my back. when im back at goal i can go back to the job i love.

5. my hubby, even though he says he loves me whatever weight i am i cant help feeling that he prefers me when im thinner. he tells me im beautiful every single day but i actually believe it when im slim.

think thats about it. lol. sorry for long post.

x x

5. my hubby, even though he says he loves me whatever weight i am i cant help feeling that he prefers me when im thinner.

My boyfriend says the same! I have a few times, asked him outright if he prefers me at 9 stone or 11 stone but he's not quite that easy to crack :rotflmao:

Me? I'm dieting for myself. For entirely vain reasons. :D I've accepted that now, I can pretend I'm doing it for health reason but it would be a lie! I just want to look better and feel better about myself. Even if it was trendy to be a size 14 I wouldn't be happy at that size, it doesn't suit me!

I am partially dieting for people's approval as such, because to look nice in a dress is partly for my benefit but partly because I want other people to think I look good too. And that's fine by me. :)

I think most people will say that they are dieting for themselves, but are you really? Or is it to get approval from others?

I'm definitely dieting for ME!

I'm doing it for myself, my partner and our 2 little girls.

I want to be a confident person and i want my girls to be proud of me. I also wont get married until i can fit in a nice dress and not look awful.

Hi
just looking through the replies on this page, oh bless Andys74, you are obviously to subtle about it! I got chatting to a "lovely lady" recently, who during the day goes to work suited and booted, and I thougt what a shame "she" can't be herself. She looks better than me as a women as well, slim....
Back to the discussion, I am losing weight for so many reasons.
First for myself but also for my husband so I can look good when we go out. I was slim when we met and he says I look fine but I know I am not. I do have confidence but when it comes to my weight I need to stop lying, because it does bother me!
I also want to lose weight for my kids as I don't want the other kids to bully them. My mum never had an issue with weight so that wasn't a problem for me at school but I do know kids can be cruel so before mine are old enough to have bullying classmates I want to be slim!
Regards

Please ignore as I found it above!!!!!! Doh!

I have done it again..... lost my post that I have just typed!!!
I am doing it firstly for myself, but also for my hubby so that I look good when we go out and also for my kids.
Regards

Last edited:
I am losing weight for myself and my OH. Various reasons that are private to us but basically it involves health and fertility. x

I love this site - im doing this for my family and for me - Im much happier when im lighter and im a bloody grump when im heavy, so it does affect the people around me.

I want to be the confident person I used to be and I want to wear clothes I like instead of ones that cover up the fat.

Edd2712,

I soo agree with you, not just about this site, which I see you joined just before me but about the clothes. Baggy jumpers are getting very boring now!

Regards

I am losing my weight to make all my so called "work collegues" GREEN with envy. LOL
Not the most mature attitude but works magic to me.
xx

Wow, that's a good question. I almost feel guilty for saying I want to lose weight for my husband and my children. My husband is fantastic and has never put any pressure on me to lose weight but I feel like I've cheated him out of the wife he married. I'm about 5 stone heavier than when we met and he always tells me "I married you, not a shape" which is wonderful but I know I would be happier slimmer as I get irritated with myself when I've eaten a load of choc. Also who wants to be the fat mum at school? Okay I dress nicely and look smart but I'm still the chubby one . Can you still be called chubby at 47? I know I want to lose weight fo me but I think my family would love me to do it too. So why can't I???????????

i want to lose weight,

firstly for my daughter, i want to be fit enough to play all the games and keep up with her as she grows, to take her to school and her friends not think shes the girl with the fat mom and so ill be healthy to watch her grow up, have children of her own maybe, get married etc :)

secondly for me, i want to look like the girl/woman i have always wanted/felt like inside, to wear the clothes i love but at the moment just look horrible and not to fear looking in the mirror

thirdly for others, i want people to think nothing of it when i walk past, instead of seeing a fat young mom!

i REALLY cant wait till after xmas till i start getting rid of it all :D

I am desperate to lose weight for my brother who took his life a few weeks ago.
He always encouraged me with my weight loss and I feel I owe it to him to get it off and keep it off!

I am losing weight for me. I want to be healthy and I want to be able to look good and feel comfortable with myself. I want to be able to shop in 'normal' clothes shops and be able to wear sexy bras! I dont want to dread going out with friends because I know I will always be the biggest person in the group and the biggest person wherever we go. I want to be able to live my life without being paranoid that people are talking about my size no matter where I am. When my little cousins ask me to take them to the park I would like to be able to take them and be able to run about with them all afternoon! I want to be healthy and not so overweight that having my own children would be a problem right now. I want to be confident enough to go get a job I want. And most importantly of all I just want to be able to look in the mirror and not hate what I see.

Last edited:
Back