Who are you dieting for?

wow what a fantastic thread and such interesting responses!

I started the weight loss journey primarily for me. To get back in control. It wasn't so much about losing the weight but facing my demons head on, which then led to the weight loss. Why was I overeating? Why did I reach for food as soon as I got stressed/unhappy/angry? I couldn't reach for the cigarettes any more as I had quit (best thing ever!) A very painful but necessary journey which I am still on.

Also losing weight for my fiance, because the weight gain was due to destructive behaviour that was really having a negative impact on our relationship. So for him too.

And I want to get healthy to improve chances of having a baby when we finally decide to try. So for my health and future babies (hopefully!).

Oh and finally I LOVE shopping! I hate seeing flab everywhere! Clothes just do not look as good on me now as they did when I was a size 10 many moons ago! I do want a Diane von Furstenberg dress aka Carrie when I get to goal (I have seen it in Selfridges, it will be mine!).

Interesting question. However I can honestly say that I want to lose weight for me. That statement is of course made up of little individual goals, like choice of clothes, health, not worrying how I am going to negotiate my way through crowded rooms, not having to ask for an extender belt when I go on an airplane, not feeling like everyone is looking at/judging me. I also have some things I would like to achieve of course; a bungee jump, zorbing, white water rafting, more travel all of which will become possible and/or easier when I am slimmer.

Years and years ago I lost 10 stone and my motivation at the time was that I wanted to feel accepted by society as a "normal" person. Unfortunately, once the weight was off, people started to treat me differently, to them I had become a whole new person and to be frank I couldn't deal with it. That's why I am doing this for me this time. I'm not really bothered if my decision to lose weight makes other people happy or not.

I'm losing weight for myself as I'm one to do just about anything for others, but hardly anything for myself. I'm also a high achiever with my goals in life, and I'm scared my weight's going to get in the way of doing what I really want. I already let my weight come in the way of all sorts of things from getting my picture taken to holidays to meeting people and I've just had enough. I also love clothes so much and it kills me that I can't wear what I want.

I also settle for less in relationships because of my weight. I just went through a seriously awful breakup and realised afterwards that although the guy was a jerk, it was also my fault, that my standards were low, because mainly of what I thought of myself. I find that I'm not happy unless I have someone to look after, take care of and spend time with which sounds terrible and co-dependent but it's not. I'm just really motherly and that's when I'm happiest, I like thinking of others, I can't help myself. So I just think losing weight would enable me to have normal standards for relationships and I might be able to have a healthy one this time around. If that's not the answer, then I can go deeper into my issues. I use my weight as an excuse a lot and I don't want that to be an option anymore. Enough faffing about already.

I'm also doing it for my dad. He values money, status and looks, and that's about it. I value intelligence, humour, knowledge, etc. I know my dad loves me but he's always tried to get me to lose weight, as of 6 he got a dietician to come around the house and I was always in swimming classes. As of high school he put me in sports teams. I made myself believe I liked it, but was miserable so ate anyway. Until lately, I didn't want to lose weight to spite him, but now I've gotten over it and don't think about it anymore. I've stopped lying to myself and telling myself that I actually like my "curves", and so on. It's not that I want my dad to love me more by doing so, but he's a shallow person and it's all he really cares about, and I could really do without the arguments my weight causes. Some days he's dead proud of me for my achievements, then others he makes sniddy remarks about my weight, while his wife is the same size as me... I'd rather he was just proud of me all the time like a normal parent. (I know, serious daddy issues, which probably explains my issues with men too).

I don't want to feel ashamed about myself, my looks, or eating even. I just want to stop constantly worrying about something so trivial that I can change. That's why and who I'm doing it for :)

For the first time, I can honestly say that I'm losing weight for me and my happiness rather than to please other people.

I wasted years with a man who was forever telling me about the "gorgeous" women he came into contact with at work and who were always chatting him up. I was by no means big, but he managed to chip away at my self esteem and make me feel huge, so I kept my weight at an unhealthily level to keep him happy. I realise now that he had esteem issues and was projecting them onto me.

When we split, I ate exactly what I wanted - my version of a great big two fingered salute to him I guess :D Then my gorgeous OH came along, and the cosy coupledom started. He's one of those lucky people who can eat anything and not gain a pound... unfortunately I'm not :( He's never commented on my weight, and always says he loves and fancies me exactly as I am.

The problem is I don't love me as I am. My weight is controlling my life - I'm avoiding social situations because I feel such a fat blob, and my self confidence is suffering. A longstanding back problem has also flared up again and I'm in constant discomfort, which is affecting everything I do - work, leisure and (probably tmi) lovelife are all suffering because of it ;)

I want my life and my happiness back and, although I know that losing weight won't solve everything, it's the biggest and most immediate step I can take towards being the person I want to be.

good thread,love reading your reasons,my reasons (got a few)my health is the main one,its a right mess basically on 6 different pills plus extra when i get pain.
to wear lovely clothes not tents,
have a bit of energy to play with my 2 grandchildren while they are still young.
to be happy with myself.
to have a descent figure for when my son gets married in august this year 2010.
to have more energy to stick a week out at centre parcs with my son,wife,grandson.hubby as well.
AND BECAUSE IM JUST BLOODY FED UP WITH THE WAY I AM.sorry didnt mean to swear.
:D

Good reasons there Redhead and Spot
Good Luck. I'm sure you'll be successful.
My motivation to lose weight was mainly for health reasons - various.
My health has improved 100%, my back pain, footpain, bronchitis - all disappeared.
I have had a whole Christmas/ New Year without colds or flu (will prbably catch something now!)
Able to wear mini skirts, high heels ,colours etc.
It opens up your whole world again and gives you so much energy.
Go for it ladies.

wow what can i say slendablenda you look FAB,and to still be there 13 months later is a great achievement.

I always lose weight for a holiday or a party or a wedding, but I started this diet for me, as i am fed up being over weight.

I'm doing this for me, the last thing I want is to fat and 50
being 50 I have no control over but being fat I do
also along the way I hope to improve my health and fitness

If I'm honest, alot of it is to do with how others see me. I want to feel and look as good as I possibly can. I'm also doing it for myself though, I've got to the point where I feel uncomfortable and unfit, not just chubby anymore - its really effecting my health.

Interesting question. My inital reaction was I am doing it for ME, my kids, my husband, enjoying clothes shopping etc . . . but, (and if I remember this correctly) according to sociologist George Herbert Mead, our view of 'self' is dependant upon how other people see us, so perhaps it's both. (Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick). :)

I'm dieting for me.

After putting on so much weight in my pregnancies I just want to get back to how I was before (well try to anyway).

Hi Everyrose,

my biggest problem was pregnancies as well, and I only had two.

I love your signature showing your kids, how do you do it?

All through school i was never a slim girl, i was always about 5-8 kilos above the upper limit of my healthy weight range, which i guess is not so bad, but about 3 years ago i finally managed to get to within my healthy weight range and achieved my ideal weight, only at the time i couldn't get into the mindset that i was slim, i still felt overweight even though i knew i wasn't. I am now in a relationship and my partner does not care one bit that i have put on a lot of weight, but worries because he knows i don't feel good about myself. So i guess my reason to lose weight is to get back to what i was and actually really appreciate that i am slim and healthy rather than continuing with an unhealthy mindset of feeling fat :)

My brain still hasn't adjusted to the fact that I am losing as I still feel the same as when I started this diet, although the scales tell a very different story!

I'm doing it for myself, my boyfriend and to set a good example for the rest of my family who are overweight. I was also the one to actually quit smoking so I fancy being "the strong one :p"

Thanks Suzy! Sometimes I wish that I was still smoking (11 stone) but I suppose it was the right thing to do :)

You know it was the right thing to do to give up smoking!!!

Don't ever go back as it is such a hard habit to kick, as I can vouch for! It is also now so unsociable as you have to go out in the cold at pubs etc......

True, it is rather nice to stay inside and toasty while my friends huddle around a lighter. Ha I'm such a smug ex-smoker.

Back