Would you recommend your city for a weekend..

pixie-gem

Gold Member
Would You recommend your city for a weekend Away at the end of November?

Anywhere that can be reached by train or a flight if need be but doesn't necessarily need a car to explore/experience the good stuff :)

From Fri - Mon

Stuck on where to take hubby for an early Christmas break

Any advice appreciated, thank you :) xx

P.s I did think London as less than an hour for us and no need for a hotel, but don't know what we'd do lol

I live near Blackpool but wouldn't recommend that in November, most of it's closed!!!

There's loads to do in London, see a show, visit museums (free), walk along the Thames, get tour bus, feed pigeons in Trafalgar Square, walk through Green Park, Hyde Park, visit palace, that's all I can think of right now. Premier Inn have rooms from £29 on offer at the mo (ends in 1 wk).

My sister lives in Bristol & that's really nice, there are lots to do there, trip on the river, visit the ship (SMS whatever!!!), have a buffet lunch (huge selection of foods), shopping some really quaint shops.

That's all I can think of right now x

Thank you :)

I forget about what's so close. I think a lot of people do forget what's local to them really x

Aw little one, you have the Derby...erm... :p

on a side note, the dog comment has gone from your signature...loved that :) xxx

I live in Bristol and I'd recommend it. Depends what you want to do though really. Bristol is good for shopping and doing little bits of touristy stuff (visit the gorge & suspension bridge, SS Great Britain, the zoo, Ashton Court mansion, MShed museum, take pictures of the Banksie stuff, take a trip to Cheddar Gorge and visit the caves, buy some cheese and cider! etc) lots of nice walks and excellent restaurant & foodie scene. If you want a big touristy shabang then London is your thing, but it's not cheap!

Cardiff also a great location! Let us know where you go! :)

I live in the Antrim countryside in Northern Ireland but a weekend in Belfast can be immense. You can visit the new Titanic museum (sounds dull but it is seriously well done), the MAC center for really excellent coffee and arts, amazing shopping in Victoria Square and the gorgeous boutiques on the Lisburn Road, enjoy *amazing* food at mourne Seafood bar or Ginger bistro for not too much of a sting on the purse.
The continental market is on at that time in the grounds of the City Hall, amazing foodie treats, bars and cool stalls. You can fit some body magic in by climbing Cave Hill that overlooks Belfast And beyond; on a clear day you can see Scotland. You can get your body magic in by flitting between the really fun bars in the newly regenerated Cathedral Quarter.
If you're interested in Northern Irish politics you can go on the black taxi tours that show the peace wall, the murals and explain some of the history here. It is history, there are small factions in both communities that let the rest of us down but Belfast is a seriously friendly, cheap and fun city. Hotels can be pricey but luckily you can get real bargains using the 'Name your own Price' function from Priceline.co.uk (just remember tax is added after and can add £10 or more to the total).
Happy travels!

Thanks guys, I will of course let you know once decided. Hubby likes history and photography but as long as there is a pub with live music near by I am usually a happy camper lol (I only drink when I go away so generally make the best of it hehe :) xx

What about Oxford? History by the bucketload, walks along the river and the canal, art galleries, shops, good places to eat, lively nightlife.

I'm near Birmingham and am sure there is lots to do there but I'm not sure what it is! As you say when you live near you tend to take stuff for granted! There is Broad Street with lots of bars and clubs theres a section with loads of chinese restaurants, there are theatres and museums and canals.

I love going to London and it can be done quite cheap as lots of places to just wander round and thats what I tend to do and if you have money to spend theres even more to do like the shows etc

I think London and Oxford are winning. I like the closeness of London as it only takes 40 mins on the train so I won't have to pay out for hotels which I can then spend on maybe a show or something. Hubby works in London so I'm going to get him to plan a weekend as if someone who had never been had asked him what they should do when they visit, which technically is kind of right. I've been to the odd place but never properly gone into the City and seen the sights etc.

Oxford appeals due to the history, but would need hotels and stuff, so it depends on the costs of the sorts of things that we would want to do. More research into that one I think.

Dublin, yes definitely, but would rather go in Spring. I have been, with a girl I used to know, but all she wanted to do was shop so I didn't actually get to see any of it, so be good to go with hubby as he's up for anything :)

never been entirely sure on Belfast, to be honest it's mostly mis-informed political stuff, but I am never sure if the English are welcome (really rather clueless when it comes to that sort of thing tbh, sorry)

Would also love to do Southern Ireland but I think that needs at least a week and a car!

Thanks guys for your input, it is very much appreciated.

Side-note: Does anyone else get really excited about staying in hotels, only to get there and miss your own bed?

Xx

never been entirely sure on Belfast, to be honest it's mostly mis-informed political stuff, but I am never sure if the English are welcome (really rather clueless when it comes to that sort of thing tbh, sorry)

You don't have to worry about Belfast or Derry or anywhere else in Northern Ireland. I went there years ago, not long after the cease-fire, and the welcome was wonderful.

Well I would definately rec London (biased!). At the moment there will be the Open Garden thing - not sure if this is country wide - it might be. It gives you the opportunity to see some gardens rarely open to the public as well as old favourites - just google open garden-

I know you mentioned November time - have you thought of checking out Time Out online for ideas of what to do/see/where to eat etc

It is always worth checking the National Gardens Scheme website to see if there are any gardens open in the place you are visiting.

Looking like June now, dependent on dog sitter approval.
Ah, it's doing my head in, all this changing of dates. Luckily no rugrats to take into consideration but the dogs may as well be a couple of toddlers the amount of work it entails lol

Hubby also has a week off in October and i was thinking "Tunisia, it's close, cheap and warm" he throws Florida at me last night, how the fudge am i meant to do that with only 4 months notice to save that much money! Been racking my brain, and i think he's just gonna have to wait til next year for that.

Man my head hurts....holidays are hard bloody work :rolleyes:

Thank u xx

I went to York in February from Friday to Sunday and I loved it, so much to do and everything is easily reachable on foot. There's a travel lodge that's close to everything too

Back