Would you recommend your city for a weekend..

Looking like June now, dependent on dog sitter approval.
Ah, it's doing my head in, all this changing of dates. Luckily no rugrats to take into consideration but the dogs may as well be a couple of toddlers the amount of work it entails lol

Hubby also has a week off in October and i was thinking "Tunisia, it's close, cheap and warm" he throws Florida at me last night, how the fudge am i meant to do that with only 4 months notice to save that much money! Been racking my brain, and i think he's just gonna have to wait til next year for that.

Man my head hurts....holidays are hard bloody work :rolleyes:

Thank u xx

Would you book the holiday yourself, have you tried expedia, travelsupermarket & travel republic for flights, Owners direct & trivago for accommodation & rental cars, car 3000, for car hire, see how you figs stack up then! Hope you can make it:D

HH - am more than happy to book myself but it was coming out more expensive than a package! Must have been doing something wrong I think.

I would love to go back, I really would but its about £3000 and I only have 4 pay days to save it (and that's leaving booking until end sept)

Hubby gets free train travel like you so we like to make the most of his long weekends too, just the dogs really. Love em to bits but it gets expensive and confusing trying to sort out the sitters etc.

Keep saying when they go to the big doggie park in the sky then no more, but I'm such a sucker for puppies. He has strong instructions not to let me hehe.

Even with the best will in the world £3000 in 4 paydays is a tall order!!!

Yup and I can't find it cheaper! Argh! I was quite content plodding along planning a little break...

Don't worry about what you can't afford, just concentrate on what you can.

I have had some great hotel bargains in the past by using the "top secret hotels" at lastminute.com

It's a bit of a gamble, because you don't get to know the name of the hotel until after you have booked, but you get lots of information about it - and sometimes with a bit of careful googling you can work out which one it is anyway.

I once stayed at the Langham in Portland Place at a price which turned out to be about 20% of the standard rate for that room - that was a spectacular success, and I probably won't be that lucky again, but it's worth a look.

Don't worry about what you can't afford, just concentrate on what you can.

I have had some great hotel bargains in the past by using the "top secret hotels" at lastminute.com

It's a bit of a gamble, because you don't get to know the name of the hotel until after you have booked, but you get lots of information about it - and sometimes with a bit of careful googling you can work out which one it is anyway.

I once stayed at the Langham in Portland Place at a price which turned out to be about 20% of the standard rate for that room - that was a spectacular success, and I probably won't be that lucky again, but it's worth a look.

Ooh I was always curious but the not knowing had put me off before. So glad to hear from someone who had a great experience. It's like that secret escapes, I never know whether I'm gonna get a dud and puts me off a little.

Thanks x

I live in Glasgow and I would definitely recommend it, there's LOADS to do: pubs, loads of amazing places to eat, we've got great galleries/museums/Glasgow Uni/Necropolis/transport museum and it's all free, there's LOVELY parks - Kelvingrove & Botanic gardens, Queens Park in the South Side, loads of really good venues for live music and great shopping/nightlife if that's your thing. I love Glasgow and like Belfast, Liverpool, Manchester etc I'd say we're unfairly viewed as "violent" cities.

Or, come to Edinburgh - castles/museums/zoo/parliament/eateries/Royal Mile/pubs - loads of pubs/Mary's Close & creepy ghost tours. Both great cities and only 45 mins on the train Glasgow-Edinburgh.

Although, November, I'm not going to lie, it will be cold :D

Oh yes, I love Edinburgh and Glasgow too! This thread is giving me "itchy feet"!!

When in Glasgow one thing you have to try to do is book a tour of the Glasgow School of Art. I went a few years ago and it was a wonderful experience.

Tour FAQs

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh could be good, have been to a few places in Scotland but always had dogs so not been able to go to anywhere that doesn't allow them really, which is probably about 80% of it :)

I have permanent "itchy feet" lol ? x

Stirling is BEAUTIFUL! I'm from a small town only 7-8 miles from Stirling and when I go back to Stirling as an adult I realise just how lovely a wee city it is. Again, very easily commutable to both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Or, Perth which is also gorgeous.

Back