Wow - fab doner kebab recipe, tastes like the real thing!!!

Cheers Hun- sounds de-lish

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Your welcome going to try it this weekend myself:))

be carefull when grating / slicing the cabbage and carrots..
I took then end off one of my fingers with a V slicer last time I made coleslaw..

Ow!!! Poor you. I will use my food processor.

Kx

Hmmm. Have had to make this with turkey mince as the only options in the supermarkets i tried was extra lean beef or turkey, and the beef cost twice what the turkey did for the same weight.

Will see how it turns out. Why do no supermarkets in Leeds do extra lean pork or lamb mince?! Will try the butcher but can't do that until payday.

We had this the other night and it was lovely, really tasty and almost the same as the real thing. Thank you for posting x

Went to Coop and they dont sell the wholemeal pitta at all. No asda here either. I therefore bought Tesco Organic Wholemeal Pittas. Does anyone know the syn values for them - why can't it be a HEXB sob???

Kx

Yum yum yum- just had this with coleslaw, salad and half a pitta, garlic light mayo, and a few dashes of cholula hot sauce (22cal for 100ml)

pretty damn nummy

I've just finished mine, made homemade coleslaw and garlic sauce (yogurt, chopped mint and a tspn garlic puree) next time I make it i will tweak it a little, add more seasoning and flavours etc, but was really pleased with it x

O my word, I tried this recipe last week and it was delicious. I couldn't find lean lamb mince so just cooked in the oven on a rack above the roasting tin, I couldn't believe how much fat came out of it.

I will be making this recipe again......

Kerry

Gettingthinnerbytheday said:
I got the recipe on here recently & made it last night for the first time, wow, I kid you not it tastes sooooooooo like the real thing!!!

We had it in a pitta (HEb) & with loads of salad & made a low syn garlic mayo dip, ohhhhhhhh I can now enjoy a fake-away kebab at the weekends - lush!!!

Here's the recipe (BTW I used extra lean beef mince rather than lamb!)

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon plain flour
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500g/1.1 lb lamb mince

Method:
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F

In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.

Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.

Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.

Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the donor kebab as thinly as possible and serve with pitta, salad and sauces!!!

Hiya
Just made your doner kebab with the garlic mayo, coleslaw and chilli sauce posted by a couple of other fantastic people and OMG it was delish!!

Thankyou so much- without thus site and so many people raving about thus recipe I would never have even tried it!!

Kx

Attachments

• image-4127806052.jpg
    image-4127806052.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 759
  • image-2180972583.jpg
    image-2180972583.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,007
  • image-1370032638.jpg
    image-1370032638.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3,088
  • image-2468562703.jpg
    image-2468562703.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,419
it works even better if you carve off the outer cooked bits and put it back in the oven.. just like they do with the elephants foot in the chip shops..

it's nice cold as a sandwich meat too.. kind of similar to haslet..

As a variation on this recipe as someone who spends a lot of time in Turkey one oft favorite local dishes is Iskender kebab an this is a sw version and totally delish.
Toast the pita and cut into bite size pieces. Put tin chopped tomatoes in pot add chilli flakes garlic mixed herbs and dash of lemon heat and blend until sauce like.
Assemble pita on plate topped with kebab meat then tomato sauce and then drizzle with fat free plain yogurt. It's tradional to have grilled sweet pepper and tom on the side also chilli peppers. Hope you enjoy it

:happy036::happy036:Who would beleive you could eat this and loose weight (but we cannnnnnnnnnn)!

I know when I discovered the kebab recipe it was like someone gave a lovely present couldn't wait to experiment and try to create our favorite dish this is as good as it gets the difference in the original recipe is they pour melted butter over the bread but I can't really tell the difference . Enjoy

Tried the garlic Mayo that someone had kindly posted on here a while ago...I must say...was a very nice healthy alternative!! Thanks x

Back