Wow - fab doner kebab recipe, tastes like the real thing!!!

I got the recipe on here recently & made it last night for the first time, wow, I kid you not it tastes sooooooooo like the real thing!!!

We had it in a pitta (HEb) & with loads of salad & made a low syn garlic mayo dip, ohhhhhhhh I can now enjoy a fake-away kebab at the weekends - lush!!!

Here's the recipe (BTW I used extra lean beef mince rather than lamb!)

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon plain flour
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500g/1.1 lb lamb mince

Method:
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F

In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.

Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.

Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.

Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the donor kebab as thinly as possible and serve with pitta, salad and sauces!!!

i have got to try this :D

Tried this and totally loved it and will be doing it again soon!! Stuffed a pitta with some thin cut meat and salad. PURE HEAVEN!!!

that's the recipe from the Takeaway Secret book and it is TRUELY AMAZING. I've been using this recipe with normal mince for months. my little minime loves donner kebabs too, but I didn't like letting her eat them as she's only 5 and I couldn't guarantee where the meat had been so having slices of this in the freezer is lovely.

Could this not be made using lean cuts of lamb such as fillet with all visible fat removed and put in a food processor so it can be blended like sausage meat and shaped? I'm sure it would be much easier to mix with the ingredients and would allow Lamb to be used without having to syn it.
:eat:

OR buy a cheap second hand mincer. I recommend Spong brand, they're always coming up on ebay (I'm a Spong collector).

by the way, I was asked about the book I mentioned. it's amazing, not an SW book but all recipes would be tweakable if you have common sense. the curry for example, the meat is stewed in spiced water before being added to a sauce that is based n veggies. just cut down the fat and bob's yer uncle.

I can vouch for:
kebabs
burgers (lean mince, cheese from allowance, wholemeal roll or "proper" roll if you want to syn it)
special sauce (tweaked to be SW friendly and low syn)
kebab shop chilli sauce

The Takeaway Secret: How to Cook Your Favourite Fast-Food at Home [Book]

If you are really wanting this as authentic as poss any lambs mince is 2 syns per 100g on lean (under 16% fat that is)
So for this recipe its 9 syns for 500g, divided by four people its 2 and 1/2 syns. I will gladly use 2/3 syns over a cruddy bag of crisps or choc bar. Its a lovely taste to it. fab recipe.

So after trawling the supermarket brands mince which vary alot in syns to 1/2 syn of lambs mince

Waitrose Essential British Lean Minced Lamb, 250g pack, chilled, 100g is 1/2 syn per 100g on red and EE Essential British Lean Minced Lamb, 250g pack, chilled, 100g javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$ctl0...1$GridView_Products$ctl02$LBADDExtraEasy','')½½javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$ctl0...h1$GridView_Products$ctl02$LBADDOriginal','')8½ So Kebabs would be 2 and 1/2 for all mince used. M&S 2 syns per 100g next best Asda lean mince 3 per 100g next best.

Where can you buy extra lean lamb mince from?
Would it be possible to make it at home of I bought some lamb?
Thanks all :)

yes you can, but mincing the lamb will be hard without a mincer. if this is what you mean. a food processor will do an ok job, but the trick is not letting it go too far, otherwise the meat becomes a paste.

and nobody knows where anyone can get EL lamb from... hence the discussions on how to get EL lamb mince lol.

Flibsey said:
yes you can, but mincing the lamb will be hard without a mincer. if this is what you mean. a food processor will do an ok job, but the trick is not letting it go too far, otherwise the meat becomes a paste.

and nobody knows where anyone can get EL lamb from... hence the discussions on how to get EL lamb mince lol.

Well as there's 31 pages on this thread I thought maybe someone may have found where to buy it! Will have a go at doing it myself, thanks :)

I made this last week and it was great. I used the garlic mayo recipe on here but I put in too much mayo (on purpose) and some garlic powder (which I bought any way for the doner meat) to make it stronger and it was all great. I had a pitta (on the packet it said white pitta was better than wholemeal, how is this possible? I am sure I must have read it wrong but I got white ones anyway), and salad which included lettuce, red onion, red cabbage and a few other things. I loved it and I plan to make it again but a bit more healthier by finding the best pitta and making the mayo a bit better, but I don't think I went over my syn allowance anyway so thank you for this.

Hey somebody, try using the asda or co op wholemeal pittas, they are recognised as a healthy extra, you won't have syn them.

Ok thank you, I have an Asda nearby so I will go there next time, I think I am making this on friday.

Back