WW Vs SW

As it has already been said in this thread, as with any plan, how much/little it works is based on the person following the plan.

When I was following WW the people I know who are following SW would constantly tell me that because I was on WW, I would always be eating poorly. I sat yesterday watching her eat supernoodles for a late breakfast and 3 mugshots for lunch 'because they're free' on SW. Doesn't mean that's a particularly good way of eating!

When I was on WW I had 18 points a day. Given the choice between a choc bar or plate of pasta, yes I'd have loved the choccie but the pasta kept me fuller for longer. It's all about using common sense, which does tend to fly out the window when trying to lose weight.

All weight loss plans have the same basic set of quite simple rules-plan as much as you think yopu need to, then plan some more! Use your allowances, points syns, healthy extras whatever, as wisely as possible.

Okay Ive read how SW people like Sw and WW people like WW and the inbetweeners.......

Im one person whom SW doesnt work for as I have PCOS and I only feel full on green on SW where I wont lose as too many carbs,on Red days I dont feel full so therefore with PCOS too many carbs wont lose us weight as insulin probs.

I think both plans are healthy reason being we get to realise for losing weight we have to eat healthy things so WW isnt unhealthy if you do the plan long term as as you near goal 18 points we learn isnt worth wasting on a 5 point chocolate bar or we know we will be hungry.
Anyway having a chocloate bar in moderation like any 'unhealthy' food is advised as if we have in out heads we cant have a certain food being human after a while we will want it,everyone of us even the most dedicated.
You may look at my weight and think what do I know,alot as I have been dieting since 19 and I am 4o my problem was depression and antidepressants so NO plan would work until I get into the right head space.

The key to anyplan is no depriving people of any food groups and allowing them to have a 'treat' what the thing we all have to see here is once you find something that works for you just stick at it even at maintance or you'll keep trying every plan going :eek: like me :eek: lol xx

I have done both too and think there is definatley benefits to both. I felt SW was basically a normal healthy diet - but for me I didnt lose weight on it by eating too much pasta rice and potatoes, also for me I find it a little too flexible and find it too easy to sneak in a bit of cheese and not count it but that was my fault not SW's.

I find WW more restrictive but in a good way, I feel Im controlling my eating and focusing on achieving a goal and that works for me. And as most people mention I like the portion control.

For me it was simple. I stuck to SW religiously, most of the time, and lost nothing. I have been a ww target member before, and lost 3lbs in my first week this time. So for me WW works, SW doesn't!!

Lynda

For me it was simple. I stuck to SW religiously, most of the time, and lost nothing. I have been a ww target member before, and lost 3lbs in my first week this time. So for me WW works, SW doesn't!!

Lynda

For any plan to work you need to stick to it all the time! It may take time to adapt, but it works!
Having said that what works for one doesn't work for someone else.

I have done both too and think there is definatley benefits to both. I felt SW was basically a normal healthy diet - but for me I didnt lose weight on it by eating too much pasta rice and potatoes, also for me I find it a little too flexible and find it too easy to sneak in a bit of cheese and not count it but that was my fault not SW's.

I find WW more restrictive but in a good way, I feel Im controlling my eating and focusing on achieving a goal and that works for me. And as most people mention I like the portion control.

I think that it depends on the individual.
Some people like more restrictive eating plans, others don't. I am one that doesn't!
I do tend to use common sense and don't eat too much of anything that is high in calories, be it pasta, rice or potatoes.
I eat enough to satisfy me but never eat to the extent that I feel stuffed!
What I can't do is weigh and measure everything I eat. That would do my head in and I would fall off the wagon in days!
Once again I say that whatever works for you, and provided you eat a healthy diet that is sustainable long term is good on any plan!

Everyones going to have the odd hiccup though.
With slimming world I stuck to it 100% and stayed the same and gained one week, showed my food diaries, I hadnt oversynned and then my consultant started telling me dont use choc as syns, dont have bread etc. so I thought doesnt that defeat the object since its meant to be a diet where u dont feel limited that much

Everyones going to have the odd hiccup though.
With slimming world I stuck to it 100% and stayed the same and gained one week, showed my food diaries, I hadnt oversynned and then my consultant started telling me dont use choc as syns, dont have bread etc. so I thought doesnt that defeat the object since its meant to be a diet where u dont feel limited that much

I am so sorry to hear that. It is so sad to hear that some consultants misinform people. It really make me quite angry!
You can use your syns for anything you want... I tend to use mine mainly for alcohol and it's worked for me!
You should NEVER feel limited with SW, which is what makes it so sustainable.
How long did you try it for? Some people give up before giving it a chance.
I lost 4.5 pounds my first week, then stayed the same the next two weeks. I was gutted as I stuck to plan 100% but I know SW works so continued. It took me 30 weeks to lose my 30.5 pounds to my original target, and lost more since. For me, as a slow loser it was slow but steady.
I gave up chocolate and bread but that was my own personal choice as I tend to over indulge in both, but there really is no need to!

I did 8 weeks this is what my losses were

week 1 = -4.5 pounds
week 2 = - 1 pound
week 3 - sts
week 4- sts
week 5 = -1/2 pound
week 6 - sts
week 7 - + 1 pound

And I really did stick to the diet well, I started with extra easy then was finding I was staying the same so switched to red/green but didnt have any success there.
It is hard for me cos Im a smaller weight, but when she told me to cut out bread and choc, I thought I'd try weightwatchers for a while first, I havent told my consultant I've given up yet,, Im too scared!

Malaika you have done great with SW and well done you but you also mentioned that you didnt eat large portions of potatoes pasta or rice which are free on EE plan of SW. You also say out of personal choice that you gave up bread and chocolate so i would hazzard a guess that if you had eaten the same food on WW your points would have probably been within your WW point allowance, had you been following WW's plan.

As i mentioned earlier, i have followed weight watchers many times and i am a gold member but im following SW at the moment and i like that too. However i think i follow SW 100% but i think i have taken everything i ever learnt at WW's with me to SW. So i also dont eat large portions of potatoes, bread pasta etc.

In case anyones wondering why am i a gold member but dieting again (as i do every year from January to about April or May :D) Its because no diet will allow me to eat a mountain of chocolate and sweeties. I havent quite learnt not to do this yet but always get back to eating sensibly and healthly once i have conquered the chocolate mountain from birthday and christmas. I never let my BMI get over 25 now so i am controlling it all a little bit but not as well as i could do. Oh well, how boring would perfect be :D:D x x

That looks like a healthy weight loss you had. Mine on Extra Easy were:

week 1 = -4 pounds
week 2 = - STS
week 3 = - STS
week 4 = - 1.5 pounds
week 5 = + 1.5 pounds
week 8 = - 3.5 pounds (I missed 2 weeks as was away)

So what you did was great, and in my opinion, with perseverance, you can do it!
I also did not have a lot to lose, week by week, in comparison to a lot of people so it can take longer than those with a lot to lose!
Don't be scared to tell your consultant what you feel.. no-one can make you do SW, and you muat do what makes you feel happy!

Sound like some pretty negative comments about SW but the same people don't stick 100% to it. That's like saying you're giving up smoking completely but still smoking two cigarettes a day.

Different bodies will work in different ways. SW gives me lots of energy and so I exercise more, thus I lose more. When I restrict myself I feel drained and grouchy so I do very little exercise. If you expect to lose 5lb a week by sitting eating pasta and not using that stored energy to exercise you will not get a good loss.

Malaika you have done great with SW and well done you but you also mentioned that you didnt eat large portions of potatoes pasta or rice which are free on EE plan of SW. You also say out of personal choice that you gave up bread and chocolate so i would hazzard a guess that if you had eaten the same food on WW your points would have probably been within your WW point allowance, had you been following WW's plan.

You are right...and I could have had all of that with SW too, but I know what I am like and I didn't do 1 or 2 chocolates or 1 or 2 slices of bread too well. I wanted a whole box of chocs and loads of bread.
I am a bit like an alcoholic, I can't do just one! Now I am target weight I am trying to have a bit of everything, and watching really carefully so I don't get back to square 1!

Sound like some pretty negative comments about SW but the same people don't stick 100% to it. That's like saying you're giving up smoking completely but still smoking two cigarettes a day.

You are right! Stick to any plan 100% and it will work!

In all honesty I think both are good as I said in the other post. I have friends on both diets and both happily see results. I don't think either is better over all, just as I said different things work differently for different people. Was good to see many WW members come over and express their opinions on the SW post.

there's some equally negative comments about WW too but when the thread is asking for the pros and cons that's to be expected. I'm sure you'll find the identical thread on the Sw section is much more pro SW and against WW

Thank you starlight and you are perfectly right. I always feel like i have to defend WW cos of the misconception that its unhealthy which is so untrue. BOTH ARE GREAT PLANS. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN SUCCEED BETTER AT ONE PLAN DOESNT MEAN TO SAY THE OTHER IS RUBBISH. IT DEPENDS ON YOUR PSYCHOLOGICAL APPROACH TO IT AND YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF NUTRITIONAL VALUES AND IF YOU APPLY THAT KNOWLEDGE PLUS THERE ARE PROBABLY A TON OF OTHER REASONS TOO. GRRRR :mad: :eek: need to calm down now:)

I always feel like i have to defend WW cos of the misconception that its unhealthy which is so untrue.

It's terrible anyone feels they have to defend their diet :/ definitely not on a support site like this. I don't think WW is unhealthy but I also understand what you mean. Sometimes in work/college people will say, "Oh but what you're eating isn't healthy there" and it really narks me off, stepping near a little bit of chocolate isn't a bad thing and they have this preconception if you're on a diet all you can eat is rabbit feed or something.

This is about the most balanced friendly WW v SW thread Ive ever seen on Minimins to be honest. I've seen a lot if them I've also felt obliged to jump in on when WW is being slated but this has had great input from both sides and looks like a good reference for anyone who's undecided.

Definitely more in the spirit of Minimins than others have been. it's great :)

This is about the most balanced friendly WW v SW thread Ive ever seen on Minimins to be honest. I've seen a lot if them I've also felt obliged to jump in on when WW is being slated but this has had great input from both sides and looks like a good reference for anyone who's undecided.

Definitely more in the spirit of Minimins than others have been. it's great :)

Thank goodness i wasnt here for the others :D:D:D its really hard when you think both are great eating plans. I think if members are asking what are the advantages of another diet then maybe they are already getting ready for a change and maybe should just give it a go for a few weeks (at least 4). You learn so much from both plans and can incorporate all the ideas for your own successful weight loss journey hopefully.
Whichever one you chose eventually to get you to your target :)

Back