x's wanting to get into y's - thread clutter

Circes said:
Personally I am not a big fan of these threads. It just seems to me that hints, tips and advice that appears in these threads would be of as much use to people in other weight ranges who may not see it if they don't visit them. It seems like the main board has been a lot quieter of late because the activity is going on in these threads instead and I find that rather disappointing. The only exception would be the maintenance thread because that advice is particular to a certain group of people.

I have to disagree here. The losses may be completely different for someone who still has 3-4 stone to lose than someone with 1/2 st -1st to lose. As a creator of one of the threads the purpose was to get opinions from others in the sane weight range so I could compare & discuss losses, food options, what works for them etc.

I had been struggling for weeks with my plan and was getting very disheartened to say the least. My mother also does SW with me but despite eating the same meals she loses much quicker than me but has more to lose, however after following some advice after I created that thread from others who had experienced the same issues and overcome them, I lost 2lb this week so there clearly is a benefit.

I don't necessarily agree that losses differ significantly from one weight range to another. While that may be your personal experience it is certainly not mine so clearly it is a very individual thing. Although the people in your thread may be in the same weight range, they may be at a very different points in their weight loss journey - they could be on week one with 3-4 stone to lose, or have been around for years and a few pounds from target. Their experiences and familiarity with the plan can be very different. So how can their opinions and feedback be more relevant than that of the general Minimins population.

I think we have more in common in our battle with the weight than we have differences. After all we have SW classes with people at all stages of their weight loss journey so we can learn from each others experiences. If you are struggling with something, that is not necessarily limited to people in your weight range and the advice you are getting on your thread may be equally applicable and useful to someone else at a different weight. But it seems that I am in a minority of one in this view. As I will not be following these threads and the main board is quieter I guess it just means I will be spending less time on Minimins, which is perhaps no bad thing :D

Congratulations on your 2lb loss by the way.

Circes said:
I don't necessarily agree that losses differ significantly from one weight range to another. While that may be your personal experience it is certainly not mine so clearly it is a very individual thing. Although the people in your thread may be in the same weight range, they may be at a very different points in their weight loss journey - they could be on week one with 3-4 stone to lose, or have been around for years and a few pounds from target. Their experiences and familiarity with the plan can be very different. So how can their opinions and feedback be more relevant than that of the general Minimins population.

I think we have more in common in our battle with the weight than we have differences. After all we have SW classes with people at all stages of their weight loss journey so we can learn from each others experiences. If you are struggling with something, that is not necessarily limited to people in your weight range and the advice you are getting on your thread may be equally applicable and useful to someone else at a different weight. But it seems that I am in a minority of one in this view. As I will not be following these threads and the main board is quieter I guess it just means I will be spending less time on Minimins, which is perhaps no bad thing :D

Just because you're not in that stone range doesnt mean you can't read the thread tho!!

Circes said:

I doubt they'd have another 3-4 stone to lose in my weight range, I'm 10st 5!!. The closer to target you get it's common for the losses to slow down and therefore a few adjustments need to be made to kick start it back into action

At no point has anyone in any of the weight range threads stated that one persons advice is more relevant than someone elses. I've not come across anyone who didn't welcome advice from whoever is willing to take the time to offer it.

I personally welcome advice from anyone within the whole minimins community, I'm part of many forums, weekly weigh in teams, and have asked advice in the open forum, however with less that 1 stone to get to my intial target, it's perfectly reasonable to want to ask someone of a similar weight how there finding the plan in that weight range & if they've had to switch things up a bit especially if you're struggling to get a loss like I was.

I'm happy if the weight range thread stays or moves to a different forum, the point for me is that they exist where ever they are placed. But I'm sure for many who do use them we wouldn't want to drive people out.

I'm part of a weigh in at home on a Thursday thread, when I actually weigh in at home on Friday. It's a fun thread set up by a lovely outgoing person who welcomed me with open arms and the members are at very different stages in their journey. It doesn't mean that if you don't fit into the title that you couldn't be part of it, so why not try it out?

Thanks for congratulating me on my weight loss it was a much needed loss for me for many reasons. Please don't feel you have to stay away from mini mins, that's not the purpose of this site at all. We're all here to help each other x

with less that 1 stone to get to my intial target, it's perfectly reasonable to want to ask someone of a similar weight how there finding the plan in that weight range & if they've had to switch things up a bit especially if you're struggling to get a loss like I was.

Thanks for congratulating me on my weight loss it was a much needed loss for me for many reasons. Please don't feel you have to stay away from mini mins, that's not the purpose of this site at all. We're all here to help each other x

It is acceptable to ask for advice from people in the same position .. but there may well be people with less than a stone to loss in the other threads and if you or they don't read them then you can't give or get that advice. And I think some people will not read other threads because they think they do not apply.

I still think this is a retrograde move for the forum but if the majority of the people feel otherwise then of course that is fine by me. But as said I will not be reading them - in the same way I do not read team threads. I'm happy to give people advice where I can on particular questions or issues but I don't want to have to wade through lots of chit-chat (no offence intended) to find them. I would much rather a person posted that question in the main forum where it is easy to spot and where the whole community can see the responses. It's not that I feel I need to stay away only that there will be fewer threads to read so I will spend less time here... maybe I'll actually be able to get on with some other stuff now :D

Take care
x

I have also noticed that the board is quiet but I think its due to the time of year. I've been on the weight loss wagon for a while and I always notice that abt March to May the number of people doing a weight loss program reduces. I bet you the board gets busier closer to summer, we have a influx of new or returning people wanting to be slim for summer. I could be completely wrong though, but its just what I've noticed lol

I think it would be more ideal if the threads move a more specific folder, simply to make the main board free.

As for name how about Sliding down the scales ?

I would suggest splitting up the 'Slimming World Teams' forum into two subforums, in the same way the recipes has summer and winter.

One subforum could be 'Slimming World Weight Loss Challenges' and could include the x stone to y threads, along with the other usual ones like the monthly challenges and any 'x amount by summer' type ones.

The other could be 'Slimming World Body Magic Challenges' and could include all the exercise ones, like the 30-day shred thread and couch to 5k.

(Perhaps the 'Slimming World Teams' thread could be renamed to be 'Slimming World Challenges' to cut out any potential confusion - I don't think a lot of the current threads are really teams anyway, because some of them are personal challenges and most of them aren't team vs. team anyway.)

I like the themed threads. I think it's all about "identifying" IYKWIM.

We can all read various bits of the board but we choose to take part in the threads that we "identify" with.

I don't think other parts of the board will suffer in any way. I dabble in lots of different threads and get a lot of useful SW info - and I hope what I do contribute others find useful. :)

Don't disappear completely please Circes ... your posts offer some valuable information and advice. :)

I would suggest splitting up the 'Slimming World Teams' forum into two subforums, in the same way the recipes has summer and winter.

One subforum could be 'Slimming World Weight Loss Challenges' and could include the x stone to y threads, along with the other usual ones like the monthly challenges and any 'x amount by summer' type ones.

The other could be 'Slimming World Body Magic Challenges' and could include all the exercise ones, like the 30-day shred thread and couch to 5k.

(Perhaps the 'Slimming World Teams' thread could be renamed to be 'Slimming World Challenges' to cut out any potential confusion - I don't think a lot of the current threads are really teams anyway, because some of them are personal challenges and most of them aren't team vs. team anyway.)

Think this is the best idea we've had.

Although this is clearly all sorted now I would just like to add that I have joined one of these threads as I find it motivating to work through them. It's also nice to see what other people are up to on their journeys. X

Back