Your gym routine?

Jenna88

Gold Member
I know everyone is different and that you might not necessarily follow the same routine every day but I'm new to gym going and would love to see what a typical workout for others includes. I'm pretty new to the whole thing and not sure I'm pushing myself hard enough.

Maybe include how long you spend on each piece of equipment and level or perhaps the distance?
Weights-how many kg's and how many reps?

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'm not too hot with the search function.

Heres my training blog
http://www.minimins.com/fitness-exercise/296408-my-training-blog.html

Its quite basic at the minute but i have changed things up over the last week as i was way over training.

I wouldnt worry to much about the amount of weight you lift, just get the correct form and increase steady.

As for cardio stuff when im on the exercise bike i just put it on fat burn mode and try and keep the revs between 80-90 maybe close to 100 for the last couple of mins. On the cross trainer just start on the lowest setting and build it up abit every few sessions. On the rower we have a concept 2 one in the gym and i use it on the highest resistance 10 and try and do 2000m as fast as i can, but again i would start slow and build up.

To anyone starting the gym, I think you've gota go with a plan in mind. Unless you get a personal trainer (expensive!) then its just down to building on ur abilities and knowing where you want to end up.
If its running your into, try working up to 5k for instance. My bug bear is weights, I think even when I lose the weight (and I will lose the weight!) I'll still be quite bulky cuz I've always been strong and athletic anyway, so I tend to do lighter weights for more reps as I dont think this 'builds you up' as much.

I tend to do 3x15 reps at 18kg on chest presses and seated rows, i hate bicep and tricep machines and I find the rows and presses works those muscles in anyway. Then I do 3x10 reps on abdominal crunches at 25kg. I also do 3X15 reps on leg extensions and leg curls and also the inner and outer thighs but I whack up the weight on these as I have muscly thighs from 8 years playing hockey!!

Im into running, so cardio wise I'm a treadmill girl and I have worked my way up to running a 10k last year, I stopped training after completing it but am back at it and find just building it up steady is the wisest way to go. Run for aslong as you can at a steady speed (I use 5.5mph when Im starting again) whether it be for 1 min or 5mins and just build from there. I know I get frustrated doing the whole run/walk programme because Im too eager to run for long times but it only causes injury and if you do the run/walk programme you really notice the fitness increase quickly. As your fitness builds I start doing minute sprints followed by a minute cool down about 5 times too. This also builds fitness.
Also LISTEN to your body, there are days at the minute I run and run and other days I can barely run for 5minutes. Theres a fine line between pushing yourself and killing yourself!!

I think with all the cardio machines the best thing to do it start gently, do minutes at harder intensities and stuff and just build slowly. This is just my opinion, Im not a fitness expert or anything. Just my own personal experience!!

Good luck on your gym journey....oh and another thing, never let anyone in the gym put you off, I used to get paranoid about how I look running or how sweaty I am etc and now I just go 'feck it' - i'm here to better myself, not just pose and not ruin my make-up!! xx

Ask to whether the gym offer personal programmes, ours do, they are made by the instructors (varied exercises to be done over 3 days of the week, 1-1.5hr per session). I suppose it's all to do with whats offered with the membership.

Back