Your hair could fall out - be warned!!

I can honestly say as a CDC I have yet to have a client who has experienced extreme hair loss, in the 2yrs I have been a CDC. I know it does happen to people on any form of diet - especially with large weight losses, and I spent a lot of time researching all the pro's and con's myself before starting a VLCD. I was lucky enough not to have any more hair loss than usual - and none of my clients have reported it either - so whilst it does happen, it doesn't happen to everyone.

I seriously wouldnt worry about it. You get all the vitaminss and nutrients you need on CD than those who take would be taking multi-vitamins for hair etc. Hair falling out is all part of a process of change that the body goes through in response to weight loss and other factors such as stress and pregnancy. Its just trying to restore its natural balance. Everybody is diffferent and so you're bodies will react differently to these changes. But honestly with all the nutrition we get from CD how can it be bad for us.

Stay positive ppl xx

I've just had a look on the Lush website and its called New Shampoo Bar it has received a really good review as well. x

I would highly reccomend it. I used it because i thought it would make hair grow longer but it made it really thick and full instead. It does make your hair go abit stringy like when you use it but just use some conditioner (i got mine from lush so it was all natural) and your hair will be fine and have a nice healthy glow to it.

xx

the way i see it is that it's mainly hair you would have lost anyway, it's just that you lose it all at once instead of over time. your body stops doing anything to do with your hair to conserve energy while you diet. then new hair pushes the old hair out. it's usually an even spread so i doubt if you have thick hair you'd notice and if you don't i doubt you'll end up with patches. you lose hair all the time, every day. every time it's brushed. just not at the moment. then when you've lost weight and you are maintaining your head breathes a sigh of relief and lets go of all the old hair it's been clinging onto so it can grow new, healthier hair. that's the way i've interpreted it in any case when i researched it...

abz xx

I am surprised that you didn't know this could be a side affect - both the cdc's that I have seen have listed this among the possible things that could happen.

Although I have to say that I think it could happen on any diet where you lose the weight quickly.

I am lucky in that I have not noticed any difference in my usual hair loss. And I always lose more in the summer months anyway.:rolleyes:

I am very glad that you like your new hairdo though:)

HAIRLOSS

Oh dear i seem to have started something here! Firstly i want to say that the hair loss thing was distressing for me. I lose a lot of hair normally anyway and after my baby i lost lots and lots but nothing like i have after stopping cambridge. I have lost weight via many other diets in the past and this has never happened.

Having said that my new hairstyle looks great and i'm over 3 stone thinner - it wouldn't stop me doing the diet again, however i would have liked to have been prepared for the hairloss and maybe have been able to lessen the effects had i known about it.

To those who felt i should have kept my mouth shut - well some of these posts have said the hairloss is very uncommon others have said its common, i know only 4 people personally who have done cd and all of them have had the same experience to different degrees. So clearly the hairloss is to be expected but in varying degrees. Those who think cd should only point out the good points of the diet and all the side effects should be kept quite - well i would question your suitability to be doing a vlcd. Cd is a vlcd and thus all possible effects should be available. Both good and bad, thats the reason you need gp approval for vlcd's. People who have problems with their hair need to be able to make the choice if this is the right diet for them. Cd has side effects, thats a fact, for me the good outweighed the bad but that may not have been for everyone and before embarking on the cd journey you need to know all the facts. So apologies to anyone who has been freaked out by this thread. As i said in the initial post - i'm thinner and my new hairstyle is fab but i would have liked to have been forewarned - what is it - forewarned is forearmed or something. My intention was never to stop anyone doing cd, just to warn them - same as i done many posts re constipation or is that to be kept a secret too!!!!!

Sorry didn't mean to start a new thread, meant to post reply on other thread.

hey hon. i don't think anyone has an aversion to being told the truth. the hairloss thing bounces about on the forums fairly regularly. i think it just alarmed some people in the way it was done. it isn't a definate thing. but you are right. all factors should be known before going into anything, and you do right to point out your experience. it is down to your cdc to let you know these things and i'm sorry that yours didn't.

you need to put up a pic so we can see that sexy new 'do' of yours :)

abz xx

No you don't need the doctors approval , but now they do inform your GP if your on CD ss , your hair will return nice and glossy i'm sure !

awe hun, is ok, i agree totally though all cdc's should tell their client's, (am sure it state's in the book?), but not all cdc's know of this side affect i dont think, It was just upsetting watching someone come along and tell their bad experience, which for alot of people would of outweighed 100's of people's good experiences, i am glad though that your happy, being thin is most important, you just one of the unlucky ones to have lost some hair.. xx

Hi Shazzy :)

Constipation is definitely something a few of us have dealt with on here, isn't it? :sick0019::eek:.
I know I have when following CD, although I didn't lose that much hair thankfully. Lost more actually after my last baby as some other people have said, but it did grow back :)

I guess the programe just affects people in different ways at the end of the day and I was aware that the hair & constipation bit could happen before I embarked on CD previously.

You sound like you got a great result for your hard work. 3 stone lighter..Wow, well done :D

Lacey..xx :)

Well done for having the courage to speak your truth. It isnt alway easy to speak out. I am on LT and they certainly mention the fact that hairloss is common in all diets where a lot of weight is lost.
I admit that at this moment I am losing more hair now than I did at the start of LT but I'm not worried... the hairloss is not excessive and it will grow back when Im finished LT. :)

Perhaps we should ask CD to include - a leaflet for Wig manufacturers?! Joking aside of course people should be made aware of the potential side effects. I definitely knew about the potential hairloss, however, not being fantastic with the styling tongs and hairspray for me the thought of losing my hair never even came into it and if it all falls out - I'll have a New Bod and a new perfectly styled head of hair to muck the horses out in everyday! I'm thinking 80's Flicks for my 1st wig?! I hear it's a style that's back in fashion!!!

I have merged the two threads together.

Cd is a vlcd and thus all possible effects should be available.

You get two booklets one affectionately called The Pink booklet you get when starting the diet entitled The Cambridge Sole Source Programme contains a list of Side effects on page 9 and Temporary hair loss is mentioned as one of them and also a list of side effects is on the Cambridge Diet site under FAQ. I use this as a source myself for quick reference.

well some of these posts have said the hair loss is very uncommon others have said its common, i know only 4 people personally who have done cd and all of them have had the same experience to different degrees

Hair loss is common to all diets...but it is not that common to getting hair loss in general.

I have lost 3st (42lb - 19kg) on the ‘Sole Source’ programme and am now experiencing some hair loss. Is this due to the Cambridge Diet?
Hair loss, with a generalised thinning of the hair, is usually linked to emotional stress, severe illness, malnutrition, hypothyroidism, hormones, and (for a few people) extensive weight loss over a sustained period of time whatever the method of weight loss used. So, it is due to a physiological response to the actual weight loss process rather than to the Diet, and the incidence is very low. Hair does re-grow, usually thicker and glossier than before. It is the "lesser of the evils" and you will have the best of both worlds – a healthy weight and a good head of hair.
This condition should not be confused with alopecia whereby hair comes out in patches which is a medical condition needing treatment by a doctor.
cambridge company history

My intention was never to stop anyone doing cd, just to warn them - same as i done many posts re constipation or is that to be kept a secret too!!!!!

It is mentioned as well on FAQ on the CD site and also on page 9 of the CD informations Sole Source Programme.

Constipation is probably one of our most discussed favourite topics on this site:p

I found shortly after starting on the Cambridge Diet that I was constipated. Is this normal?
The Cambridge Diet contains sufficient roughage for most people. When one goes on any diet including the Cambridge Diet, much less bulk is being consumed, and therefore there is much less bulk to be eliminated. As a result, bowel movements are much less frequent. This is normal, and should not cause immediate concern. When the body is ready, the bowels will move, if physical discomfort is actually being suffered then a natural laxative such as Metamucil or Fybogel should be taken according to instructions.

Delighted to hear you are very happy with your hair short and your new figure.

Love Mini xxx

Last edited:
Hiya

Just to confirm that hair loss is a possible side effect of any diet.

In the Cambridge literature it explains this as a possible side effect with short term symptoms.

For me as a slimmer on the diet I accepted the POSSIBLE side effect as ultimately the effect of being overweight was much more of a risk to my long term health.

As a CDC I always explain the possible side effects to my clients as they are detailed in the pink booklet and yellow booklet I give to clients.

As with all medical concerns the primary source of medical information is your GP and if you are concerned then pop along and see them.

I have to say in 2 and a half years as a CDC I have never seen anyone with serious hair loss on the diet but have seen some with minimal short term hair loss, and certainly in comparison to the transformation I have seen in peoples health from reducing their weight I still think Cambridge Diet is the best diet in the world :)

Mike

Hey icemoose i'm sure i seen a picture of you pre cd with long flowing locks;) - only joking.

I'm glad this had everyone talking now - maybe nobody else will get the shock i did when my hair started dropping out. My final comment on the subject is this - yes i was in a bit of a state at the amount of hair i was losing as i didn't expect it but after getting 6 inches cut off it yesterday i woke up this morning and didn't have a fraction as many hairs on my pillow as i've had the last 3 weeks. I love my new hairstyle and i'm over 3 stone thinner so its all good. In fact my mum raved about my hair today and told me she had never liked my hair long and i suited it much better this way :d

What book did you all receive? CD USA did not come with a book.

Back