Your hair could fall out - be warned!!

Thanks! That is now bookmarked!

I have changed the title of this thread as some people have been a bit freaked out. I really feel a bit disappointed at how quickly some people have been to dismiss my comments. Its total denial. The fact is great diet etc etc but there are side affects and you will probably lose a lot of hair when you come off it, some more than others. Its something that has to be pointed out as it could be very stressful for some people. So i've changed the word "will" to "could" but i make no apologies for starting the thread!

This post is a bit of a scare tactic i think. hair has a natural cycle of 7 years it is changing and coming out all the time.

i've lost 5st 7lbs all together since jan and my hair comes out when i brush but it's all part of the replacement process.

i've never ever noticed anything on my pillow! i've not had to have it cut and i colour it blonde!

I have changed the title of this thread as some people have been a bit freaked out. I really feel a bit disappointed at how quickly some people have been to dismiss my comments. Its total denial. The fact is great diet etc etc but there are side affects and you will probably lose a lot of hair when you come off it, some more than others. Its something that has to be pointed out as it could be very stressful for some people. So i've changed the word "will" to "could" but i make no apologies for starting the thread!

That's fine- I agree with you. I have long hair down to my lower back and it falls out big time. It's so thin and it never used to be like this before I started the diet. It's a great diet, but like you said, there will always be side effects. I started using Aussie hair products and its helped my hair. Though random strands fall out, it still looks like my hair is thick (but when u touch it, it really isnt) But I do agree with you here. It just depends on the individual I suppose. :)

I started using Aussie hair products

ooooooo, i love Aussie hair products, i use the luscious long shampoo (it smells like bubblegum) and the leave in conditioner. Its gorjus. xx

This post is a bit of a scare tactic i think. hair has a natural cycle of 7 years it is changing and coming out all the time.

i've lost 5st 7lbs all together since jan and my hair comes out when i brush but it's all part of the replacement process.

i've never ever noticed anything on my pillow! i've not had to have it cut and i colour it blonde!

Why would i try to scare people when i have been so successful on the diet myself?? I'm also told its in the CD litrature so are they using scare tactics too??

At the risk of repeating myself - very strict diet that DOES have side effects and everyone should be aware of them. Everyone will be affected differently - you may not have - but many people will lose a lot of hair like i have done and many others. I think its very naive and also very dangerous for people to only want to hear that they will have great weight loses and not be aware of any side effects.

So again great diet - it works - you lose the weight but there are, like many diets, side effects so just be aware of them and make an informed decision on whether its right for you or not.

Why would i try to scare people when i have been so successful on the diet myself?? I'm also told its in the CD litrature so are they using scare tactics too??

At the risk of repeating myself - very strict diet that DOES have side effects and everyone should be aware of them. Everyone will be affected differently - you may not have - but many people will lose a lot of hair like i have done and many others. I think its very naive and also very dangerous for people to only want to hear that they will have great weight loses and not be aware of any side effects.

So again great diet - it works - you lose the weight but there are, like many diets, side effects so just be aware of them and make an informed decision on whether its right for you or not.

Maybe it was more the fact that the original title said "your hair WILL fall out" as its not a given that it WILL happen or to such an extent as to cause distress. Perhaps thats why people have seen this as a scare tactic.
From Cambridge's point of view, this is stated as a possible side effect in the literature (which everyone should receive) and most CDCs will point it out at your initial meeting. If the CDC does not, it isnt Cambridge as a company which has failed you or misled you or not given you all the facts (general you here not you personally ;)) but the individual counsellor.
There have been many many threads on here too re this subject and its quite emotive for some. I have seen people panic & stress about hair loss right from the outset, which in itself isnt good for hairloss, when the reality is it may not ever affect you.
So i think thats why some people saw the thread title as being detrimental, as it implied that hairloss was a certainty.

For the record I've not lost any more hair than normal even after I've come off the diet, so it doesn't happen to everyone.

i think we have now firmly established that some people will lose a lot of hair and some will lose none. To reiterate my initial point - everyone should be aware of the possibility as for some people their hair is their crowning glory. From the replies so far it seems that some cdc's tend not to emphasise any neg side effects as i certainly wans't the only person that didn't know about this.

For those of you who feel that any side effects should be kept hush hush for fear scaring anyone or of them going on a binge or stressing out about them - well this isn't the diet for you. On a VLCD the side effects NEED to be made know to everyone - all of them. Then the gamble is theirs!

My CDC made me fully aware and I read it in the literature I was given and I am prepared to take the risk really - I just want to get this weight off x

ooooooo, i love Aussie hair products, i use the luscious long shampoo (it smells like bubblegum) and the leave in conditioner. Its gorjus. xx

my sister in law has a salon ans uses bed head products, they do a massive hair range...inc shampoos and styling products they are fab and smell divine!!! bit costly but you only ever use a blob of shampoo the size of a 5p. having worked in the beauty industry for a while and having access to 'professional' products, i would recommend you do the same, althou you will have to get from a salon, the quality of pro products puts shop bought ones to shame!!!

my sister in law has a salon ans uses bed head products, they do a massive hair range...inc shampoos and styling products they are fab and smell divine!!! bit costly but you only ever use a blob of shampoo the size of a 5p. having worked in the beauty industry for a while and having access to 'professional' products, i would recommend you do the same, althou you will have to get from a salon, the quality of pro products puts shop bought ones to shame!!!

I think i've seen these bed head products in a few hairdressers in town. They are abit costly like you mentioned but i'll have another look for them when i get the chance to go into town. I love the bed head look, but my layers have all grown out I'm so hoping to get my hair done all choppy with loadsa layers and coloured a chocolate brown/brunette colour once i get this weight off.

Thanks for letting me know about the products :) xx

I said to my CDC that even if I went bald, at least I wouldn't be fat and bald hehe

Hair grows back and I could wear a wig until then. My CDC said to take folic acid every day so I have been...bit funny really because people see the tub in my bag and they think I'm preggers hehe :D

i think someone mentioned on here its the same when pregnant, think abz commented ona a thread about hair loss too.....its not falling out as such.you loose on average between 50-100 hairs aday, the new folical pushes the old one out. when you are pregnant your body retains all energy and doesnt grow new ones very quick, so in turn you dont loose old ones....after you have had your baby and you are back to normal all the new ones suddenly have a field day and start popping thru causing all the old ones to come out.....its the same when you are on a vlcd its your bodies way of retaining energy, then when you start eating etc it all comes out......think that makes sense!!!

Check out ebay for Bedhead stuff - there are a few bargains on there. I've just got 2 x 750ml Dumb Blonde shampoo and 2 x 750ml Dumb Blonde conditioner for £24.95 + £9.95 p+p on a 'buy it now' offer. I'm well chuffed as I priced the sets of one of each at £25 in a hairdressers in town. I know its quite a large initial outlay, but they'll last ages.

As an aside from that, and the topic of this thread. I dropped 4 stone on Cambridge, and (I'm not going to lie) yes my hair did fall out by the bucket load when I started eating again. I have really thick hair usually and it stressed me out to see loads falling out each day. It continued to fall out for approx 3 months and then started to grown back. As soon as it started falling out my hairdresser recommended 'Perfectil' a supplement for skin, hair and nails - and I started taking it. I had my hair cut into a shorter blunt bob to make it look thicker. My hair is now growing back and it seems to be growing back really quickly (I'm thinking this is my imagination, as I know it will only grow a certain amount each month). It is a bit of a mess with shorter bit sticking up all over the place, and I will be honest - it has sapped my confidence somewhat. But at least its on its way back. Oh yeah, and a side effect of taking perfectil means I now have the strongest nails I've ever had - I'm always knocking and banging them and thinking 'oh no, that's broken' - but its not!! :eek: In fact I have to keep cutting my nails down now as they get too long, as oppose to being forced to trim them down to match a short broken one .......... every cloud has a silver lining ;)

I haven't posted with the intention of frightening anyone - just sharing my experience.

Minimins is a great place to come and share your experiences about your chosen diet. As a number of people have already stated every diet has the potential for side effects and the Cambridge Diet is NO different! Cambridge have clearly put the potential side effects in print for all to read! This site has been going far, far longer than you and I have been members for and we talk about all aspects of the CD the positive and the negative? See the numerous weekly threads on going to the loo and hair loss So who's in denial?!

Offence, was caused by the original tone of the thread and not the subject context!

Truly delighted the Cambridge diet has worked so well for you and glad that your new hairstyle gets your mum's approval!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Shazzy - we want to thank you for bringing this forward, we did not know this could happen, we were also not told by our counsellor, i do think we all need to know the good and the bad of any diet, if you believe she should not have written this, then you may want to not know what this can do, or any diet can do, if you change your body's eating habits, then you change your hormone balance, its a possibility with all diets, like Mini says, it can happen from having a baby, although that would be impossible for me, being a man, thank you again Shazzy and never be scared to air your feelings, friendships come from good and bad of experiences. - Kath & John

Yes, I lost tons and tons of hair. so much that I had just two strands left!

No only kidding. I did loose quite a bit but I had a lace front wig so it grew underneath as extentions would have only caused more damage. Still not in good shape even after all this time. Oh well.. price to pay I guess.

Maybe I haven't been on it long enouh, or maybe my hair was WAAAY too long and thick to begin with (true, worse than a horse's mane though soft), but after 2 wks, no thinning. *knocks on wood*

Back