Your non-negotiable food (or I CAN believe it's not butter)

moonwatcher

Gold Member
It's obvious when you read through the threads here that we all have different taste-buds, likes and dislikes, so what is your non-negotiable food - the one thing you will either just not have at all, or will have it and syn it, rather than go for the alternative?

For me it's butter. I remember when the early low fat spreads came out. We were all so excited.... until we tasted them! I can cope with low fat yogurt, cream cheese, fromage frais, cheese triangles when necessary, but I absolutely cannot stand any of the butter substitutes. Butter needs to soak in to your (wholemeal) toast, not sit on the top like a weird beige oil slick!

If I was going for a second it would be cheddar. Personally if I wanted soap in my sandwich I'd buy a bar!

But, as I've said, we're all different ... so what's yours? :D

Oh definitely - butter it has to be. I would rather do without than have a substitute - it's not just the taste, it is the smell and the texture.

And I'm with you about cheese as well - proper cheese! Ok, I have to have less of it, but sometimes, as they say, "less is more".

And icecream has to be real too.

CHOCOLATE!!!!!! Ooooohhhhh. I'm a chocoholic but a shot of a fredo or curly wurly keeps me on the straight and narrow. Ummmmmmm chocolate x

Hellmans full fat mayo,even though it's not something I ate a lot before,nothing tastes as good. So I'd rather avoid or syn 5.5 :(

I love butter!

White bread. I do sometimes dable in wholemeal, but it doesnt do it for me like white does.

I was anti low fat cheese but am now a fan of I cant believe its not cheddar from the same people that do the spread. Its a bit more like proper cheese and yummy.

Another butter fan here. To use low fat spread is sacrilegious in my books!! You just cannot replicate the flavour with the other alternatives. I still cook with butter, I just syn it. I alwso refuse to cook with frylight. It's HEX olive oil or a lovely oil spray I get from costco. It's real canola oil but comes out in a very fine mist so hardly anything in your pan but a million times better than frylight. You need oil to absorb almost every vitamin so frylight is a bad idea as far as I'm concerned. What's the point eating all those lovely superfree veg if your body absorbs the nutrients inefficiently?! Another non negotiable is steak! Lean steak is depressing to say the least, so I get lightly marbled steaks and syn them according to lean mince (i.e. 1/2 a syn per oz). Last is plain/Greek yogurt, I syn low fat and never bother with fat free. Low fat tastes so much better than fat free, it's unreal and only 0.5 syn per 150g!

Proper bread for me. Really really don't like nimble or ww bread. Cheese and Mayo are a close 2nd. Has to be full fat or not at all. I read a comment on a thread recently where someone said extra light Mayo tasted no different to the ff version. I don't think so!!!!

In making myself hungry- I wanted a cheese sarnie with Mayo on :(

Gravy has to be with granules and thick!
If we have roast beef it's proper gravy with the meat juices.

I'll never be convinced that brown rice is good!

EL fat Mayo is disgusting!

White bread. I do sometimes dable in wholemeal, but it doesnt do it for me like white does.

Oh, white bread..... drools uncontrollably.... Now that has to go into the 'Dare not have it in the house' category for me! Until they start selling it in single large slices anyway! Actually, although I love it, it does for my sinus problem and gives me heartburn, so best avoided for me (Although there are occasions when neither of those two things stop me!)

Another butter fan here. To use low fat spread is sacrilegious in my books!! You just cannot replicate the flavour with the other alternatives. I still cook with butter, I just syn it. I alwso refuse to cook with frylight. It's HEX olive oil or a lovely oil spray I get from costco. It's real canola oil but comes out in a very fine mist so hardly anything in your pan but a million times better than frylight. You need oil to absorb almost every vitamin so frylight is a bad idea as far as I'm concerned. What's the point eating all those lovely superfree veg if your body absorbs the nutrients inefficiently?! Another non negotiable is steak! Lean steak is depressing to say the least, so I get lightly marbled steaks and syn them according to lean mince (i.e. 1/2 a syn per oz). Last is plain/Greek yogurt, I syn low fat and never bother with fat free. Low fat tastes so much better than fat free, it's unreal and only 0.5 syn per 150g!

I use some olive oil as well as frylight - depends on what I'm having for the rest of the day. I am definitely going to try the 2% fat Greek yoghurt though - it sounds like it has to worth that small 'synnage' for the extra flavour!

I must be weird. I really like low fat spread(flora light is ace), brown rice, wholemeal bread etc, and have no issue with frylight or artificial sweeteners at all.

The one I can agree on is the ultra low fat hellmans, it is hell,man, and also I wholeheartedly disapprove of the laughing cow extra light. It's like flavourless rubber. Have 5 light or 6 ultra light, no question.

As for the issue of refusing to compromise on - cake definitely rates highly on that score. Which is why I have to avoid it like the plague because not only can I not compromise, I can't stop if there's one in the house till it is gone. Galaxy chocolate has the same effect, although last time I had a substantial amount it made me really ill *devastatedface* so I just avoid it now.

jaylou said:
Cake!!!
No diet cake or dessert for me, it's got to be the real thing or not at all!!

Me too. Also, cheesecake. None of that quark rubbish will pass my lips. Proper cheesecake, with a proper biscuit base or nothing.

Butter - tried low fat spreads etc but would really rather go without.

Sugar - i never really ate it on anything except porridge, or in a hot chocolate before, but Hell will freeze over before I add sweetener to stuff now.

And i'm really sorry, but those syn free
Pancakes are just sweet ommlettes.

I think it has to be fake recipes... you know the ones where you use some strange ingredients to try and make it to be something else, like scan bran to make cakes, mushy peas as a base for curry, making a White sauce without flour i.e only using FF fromage frais... It isn't right, quite often tastes completely wrong and not sure it's forming good habits for life. I think I'd easily end up reverting to 'normal' food when at target - I'd rather find recipes which are naturally low syn/use Hex's and get used to having them!

Also proper gravy all the way!

Nickinoonoo said:
I think it has to be fake recipes... you know the ones where you use some strange ingredients to try and make it to be something else, like scan bran to make cakes, mushy peas as a base for curry, making a White sauce without flour i.e only using FF fromage frais... It isn't right, quite often tastes completely wrong and not sure it's forming good habits for life. I think I'd easily end up reverting to 'normal' food when at target - I'd rather find recipes which are naturally low syn/use Hex's and get used to having them!

Also proper gravy all the way!

Could not agree more!

Now, I am going to disagree. Some of the fake recipes are fantastic, syn free KFC, scan bran chocolate cake too, and I don't think it can be argued that it isn't forming good habits for life because it is replacing high cal low benefit ingredients with low fat and healthier versions and that will be of benefit in the long term as well as while losing.

If I can make something that is delicious and healthy that satisfies me in the same way a higher fat alternative would so that I don't feel deprived, then that can only be a good thing imo.

MadameLaMinx said:
Now, I am going to disagree. Some of the fake recipes are fantastic, syn free KFC, scan bran chocolate cake too, and I don't think it can be argued that it isn't forming good habits for life because it is replacing high cal low benefit ingredients with low fat and healthier versions and that will be of benefit in the long term as well as while losing.

If I can make something that is delicious and healthy that satisfies me in the same way a higher fat alternative would so that I don't feel deprived, then that can only be a good thing imo.

Sorry think you got me wrong... The kfc is ok it's simply breadcrumbed chicken that tastes similar to kfc, this is quite a normal use for food, similarly if a recipe calls for yogurt there's no problem for me using FF yoghurt if it is still tasty... Substituting low fat versions of the SAME foods is sensible if you find it enjoyable. Scan bran though is a crisp bread not flour and feels odd trying to use it as such. It only my preference in working with the plans and how I know I will react when at goal weight - if I eat loads of scan bran based 'cakes' I will not bother making it if I'm at target and I will feel that my habit of eating 'cake' can continue with normal cakes.

Last edited:
Back