¡¡ʎǝuɹnoɾ s,ǝpuolqǝǝzʇıp - same old, same old!

Will you lose the funding if you don't choose right now?

Hi hun

Forgive me for being honest and I hope i don't offend you but wls is not a quick fix and in my opinion is a lot less healthy than doing it with Atkins. However most importantly it teaches you nothing about how to eat. I have found with Atkins and I think this is the same for everyone you find what suits you and your body foodwise. I feel in control if I vere off Atkins for a meal I have chosen too and for the first time in my life food does not rule my life.

Just my opinion but you are doing so so well. I am jealous its taken me since sept to loose my 42lbs and you are catching me up!

xxx

Hi Emma.. I appreciate your opinion completely & know that wls surgery is not a quick fix its a tool to help with weightloss & its not an easy cop out either.

The thing is I have never felt this committed & in control of my eating as I do now BUT & it is a big BUT I have been here once before... lost it all & then regained it plus some more. I do feel that now because of my diagnosis at the beginning of the year its not just about weight loss anymore its about being around & healthy for my kids & the weightloss is just a brucey bonus!!

I just am worried that 'if' I fail like I have done a thousand times before I could've wasted this opportunity of having a tool to help me along the way to a slimmer healthier me??

Last year when I researched & enquired about wls I was in a really low place, I had no motivation for life especially not for doing anything for me & I do believe I was living like that because of my blood sugars being sky high... since getting them undercontrol I am focused & living again!!

Oh I don't know.... I'm really confused & just want to do the best by me & my family!! If I hadn't been doing so well for 2 months this wouldn't be a tough decision at all.

P.s Emma... I'm not even at the weight you were when you started so I'm gonna lose quicker coz I was bigger to start! I've pretty much levelled out to 2lbs a week now. xxx

I completely understand how you feel at my biggest I was 19 and a half stone and at that time I was 21. I had days when i wouldn't go out cos I thought people would think I was so fat. i have tried every diet like you i was bulimic for a few years it is truley awful being overweight cos you can't avoid food not like you could if you were for example an alcolic and avoided alcohol. I also know what you mean about regaining cos i have lost 3 or 4 stone twice and regained. I really feel for you hun. You know everyone here will support you whatever you decide.

xx

Hi Guys

2lbs gone again this week... very pleased with that!! means I have less than 100 lbs to lose (OMG thats still SO much... never mind it will happen!) & I have lost more than 10% of my starting weight too!

The good thing this week is its the first time I have actually noticed it in my clothes... I've noticed how much easier it is to do things too, chasing the kids, running upstairs, just moving about in general!!

In 2lbs time I will have lost the same amount of weight that my 2yr old weighs... no wonder I'm moving easier I couldn't carry her around all the time!!

I have decided to go for the consultations re wls as I want to talk openly & honestly with the dietitians & psychologists about how I am progressing now & if they think that I need to pursue wls considering how well I am doing now!

Have a lovely monday everyone... its gorgeously sunny here this morning & not too cold either!! We've have crocus' & daffy's blooming... bring on the spring!!

Hi Ditzee just caught up on this post. Think its good you are going to discuss without ruling it out. Get your list of questions ready!
it is a beautiful day - shame im stuck in work!

Hi Guys

2lbs gone again this week... very pleased with that!! means I have less than 100 lbs to lose (OMG thats still SO much... never mind it will happen!)

Yes it will. It's possible for sure. It does take a long time but it was quite an enjoyable journey. x

I must say that I am not in favour of WLS, either. I think, as one American bariatric surgeon said, that you simply exchange one set of health problems for another. I have a friend who needed a 'takedown' as she was so desperately ill. There are very few studies that we allowed access to that show the failure rate, and the many problems a few years down the line, yet those studies, and figures, exist.

As Emma says you can get the same results with Atkins and avoid messing up your insides. Obviously this is your decision and you may not agree with me but when you take 'advice' from the people offering the surgery you may be given a sanitised version. After all they do not actually know how things will work out with you, individually.

Please get as much information as you can. There are two yahoo WLS groups you can join - one of them is ossg gone wrong, the other, ossg uncensored. Real people who have had surgery discuss the problems they have had. This helps to counterbalance the cheerleaders. Even Carnie Wilson, the WLS poster girl, has regained her weight and is asking Dr Oz for help now.

I know many swear by surgery and if they are doing well on it, great. It's the ones who don't do well, and there are tons of them, that I am thinking about right now.

Thanks GG. Last year I felt sure that was the only route for me... now I know there is another way & one that is working for me & makes me feel great. I guess I have fought with my weight for so long, losing & gaining but never maintaining I just don't want to feel that this is an opportunity passed by!

The reason I'm thinking about still continuing with exploring wls is that it will take probably 4-6 months before having to make a definite decision & I think that if I've continued to do so well with this woe my decision will already be made & there will be no need for wls!

Will check out those websites (thank you) even reading on wlsurgery there are so many issues that are raised that make me think twice about it!!

I am so thankful that you are all giving me such honest advice I really do appreciate it. xx

linzi!! can't believe i've only just realised you had another diary!! doh!!

sorry to hear about your diabetes honey, but looks like you are going great guns to controlling it. well done on atkins so far.

so sorry to hear about your sister, but it's fantastic news that things are starting to look up a wee bit :)

and finally, wls. what were you planning on having done hon? i really do think you should discuss it. like you, i always feel incredibly motivated and ready for anything, but with me, that feeling eventually subsides. not that i'm saying it will!! you're in a great place right now and long may it continue. but 'weight loss surgery' covers such a broad range of procedures. have you gone for a partcular one? do you have to go for a permanent surgery? what about something like a gastric band? i know very little about these things. was just trying to think of a 'go between' perhaps? i would hate for you to be handed something i remember you wanting so so much, for you to turn it down and regret it. of course if you don't need it any more then fair does :)

just wanted to say hi in any case. congrats on the weight loss so far. it's incredible!!

abz xx

ooh, linzi. just remembered what i wanted to say, ha. even more!!

have you tried valerian tea for your insomnia? it was my life saver. i used dr stuart's valerian plus tea. although i've heard his tranquility tea can help people doze off. a cup of that (and it doesn't taste half bad, but honey can help) 20 mins before i wanted to go to sleep and i was out like a light...

Maybe it should be ditzi-abz. :)

LOL :D

Hi ditzi Abz... ;)

I'm looking at all options for wls... I initially wanted a band b'coz I didn't want anything invasive but reading up on bands there seems to be far more problems with them than a bypass. At the moment I'm swaying towards a sleeve (if any) as this seems to be a real balance between the bypass & band. Its just such a major decision & I want to make sure for definate its the right thing to do!!

Thanks for the tip with the tea... got some yesterday but was out last night so will check it out today. Have been using some rescue remedy too not sure if its been doing much but my sleep (when I get it) seems to be more rested!!

How are you doing with your fizz loving bump?? Is Thomas still shouting in his sleep? xx

hi linz. glad you managed to get some of the tea :)

yes, he is. and i would have had at least 7 hours of sleep, only waking up about 3 times last night if it hadn't been for him yelling. aaargh. might have to gag him :D

Back