◄► Easy Homemade Slow Cooker Yoghurt - UPDATED ◄►

Enjoy :D so easy isn't it ?

Is it possible to get addicted to yoghurt making? I found myself watching tonnes of Youtube videos and now want to make everything out of yoghurt! Hubby is well impressed with it and my little one is eating it just as it is, not added sugar or anything. Girl with good taste that one :)

I have just made cream cheese with garlic and herbs and it is bloody good! I strained the yoghurt through my daughters old muslin and 1 litre of yoghurt released 500ml of whey and goodness knows how much more on the cloth. Took some of this and added a little bit of garlic salt and some italian herbs and left it over night. Just having it on some roasted chicken breast - sooooo good. Officially addicted now.

Ive just taken my yoghurt out and it's not as thick as normal, probably cos the house is freezing

Ive just taken my yoghurt out and it's not as thick as normal, probably cos the house is freezing

I have noticed that over the past few days too.

I normally make it and leave it overnight.

I will have to start making it first thing in the morning and leave it to work its magic during the day, when the house is warmer.

;)

My house is never warm just now especially with 8 inches of snow surrounding it lol

My house is never warm just now especially with 8 inches of snow surrounding it lol

Blimey!

Which part of Scotland are you in Ellie?

I want snow at Christmas when I am at my mother in laws not before.

Don't mind getting snowed in as she will be well stocked up but I want to be able to get there first!

:D

I'm north of Aberdeen :) next door told me yesterday that this isnothing there's loads more to come lol

I'm north of Aberdeen :) next door told me yesterday that this isnothing there's loads more to come lol

I read in one of the papers this morning that it is on the way down as far as Birmingham.

I hope you are well stocked up then, or you may have to let the Dukan lapse and eat comfort food.

:)

Stay safe. ;)

The only comfort food in the house is hubby's Xmas goodies, the freezer is well stocked so should be fine

just added DD cocoa, sweetner and sf orange jelly crystals to my yoghurt and it is yum (sort of reminds of Terrys chocolate orange)

just added DD cocoa, sweetner and sf orange jelly crystals to my yoghurt and it is yum (sort of reminds of Terrys chocolate orange)

Sounds good, may have to give that a try later but use the Sainsburys Taste The Difference Valencia Orange flavouring.

;)

Thought I would read this thread after the mention of it in the slow cooker thread and I want to give it a go too! Although have only been able to read the first seven pages! :)

However, I already eat too much yogurt / quark so this really may push me over the edge. Does anyone know how many carbs it would have? I would worry that it may have more than the quark and the Total yogurt I buy because of the skim milk powder that is very high in carbs.

Do you think it would work with egg white powder instead of skim milk powder?

Also because of the length of time, I love my quark so would want to make it as thick as possible. Do you think it is possible to have the second stage cook overnight and then third stage of eight hours starting in the morning? I would think not because of the exact timings mentioned but would be more convenient. :)

Thought I would read this thread after the mention of it in the slow cooker thread and I want to give it a go too! Although have only been able to read the first seven pages! :)

However, I already eat too much yogurt / quark so this really may push me over the edge. Does anyone know how many carbs it would have? I would worry that it may have more than the quark and the Total yogurt I buy because of the skim milk powder that is very high in carbs.

Do you think it would work with egg white powder instead of skim milk powder?

Also because of the length of time, I love my quark so would want to make it as thick as possible. Do you think it is possible to have the second stage cook overnight and then third stage of eight hours starting in the morning? I would think not because of the exact timings mentioned but would be more convenient. :)

Sorry, can't answer the rest of your question but you would need to do both stages at a time that you can keep your eye on the yoghurt.

If it is switched off and left for too long it will be too cold and the live cultures in the starter yog won't do their job.

I have started adding my starter and milk powder after about 1 1/2 hours after switching off which seems to be working and it saves waiting for 3 hours as mentioned in the original recipe.

Basically, once it has been switched off you can add the extras as soon as it is still warm but cool enough to be able to hold your little finger in there without pulling it out in pain! :D

I have added between one and two hours instead of waiting the 3.

I think the millk powder is to help thicken it more than anything else.

You are only using 1 tablespoon which makes 500ml of yoghurt which can't be too bad.

Thank you DWBFA50.

I wonder if the skim milk powder only thickens it if the egg white powder would do the same? In any case the first time I try it, I will use the skim milk powder.

I have a very large 6.5 litre slow cooker so may try a larger quantity because perhaps it is too big to try to make only 600 grams. Thank you again. :)

Thank you DWBFA50.

I wonder if the skim milk powder only thickens it if the egg white powder would do the same? In any case the first time I try it, I will use the skim milk powder.

I have a very large 6.5 litre slow cooker so may try a larger quantity because perhaps it is too big to try to make only 600 grams. Thank you again. :)

I only make it in 1 litre batches as I am the only one who eats it, I know that others make larger batches though.

My large slow cooker instructions say to fill at least half way up the pot, otherwise the liquid would burn.

I don't bother using that anymore, it's stuck up in a cupboard, I just use my 1 1/2 litre ones instead (one for yog, one for stews etc).

I personally wouldn't use egg white in it as I am not exactly sure what the outcome would be, I would hate to spoil it when I know the other method produces such good results.

;)

I'm the only one that eats it as well but 1 kg would last me no time. :sigh:

At the moment I'm not too worried about the dairy limit because I will not be concerned with losing weight at the moment just don't want to gain any over Christmas! So think eating sweetened yogurt and quark may help me through it, hopefully!!

Just had a look and the skim milk powder I have is 30.2 grams of carbohydrate for 57 grams of powder. I would imagine that is a little over 2 Tbs because it is heavier than the ob. So perhaps it is is about 15 grams of carbs? But if I can make for example 3 or 4 litres at a time with the one Tbs it would lower the amount. Hopefully it would work as well.

Anyone else noticed that their slow cooker yog has been thinner than normal, even when drained?

It is due to the cold weather.

If you can afford to have your heating on all day then you won't have noticed any difference, if not you may find a difference in the thickness.

I made some during the day yesterday as it was my husbands day off (don't have the heating on much when I am in on my own!) so the heating was on but it was a lot warmer anyway.

This morning the latest batch was back to normal, ie clotted cream thickness when drained for a an hour or so.

Last edited:
Back