◄► Easy Homemade Slow Cooker Yoghurt - UPDATED ◄►

I am trying this now but added the extras after 1 1/2 hrs, just to see how it comes out.

Roll on 8.30pm then I can see what the outcome is.

;)

Well I unwrapped it at 8.30pm and it looked at least as thick as normal. I usually leave it in the crockpot and chill it in the fridge for a few hours before I strain it. Hopefully it will be as good as always in the morning.

it was so thick it just rolled off the muslin ;)

That sounds more like yoghurt cheese, I think I would be putting a bit of the drained whey back in to thin it out a bit, unless I wanted to make soft cheese.

I think the second stage ie the 3 hour wait, is to bring the temp down so that it doesn't kill of the live bacteria in the starter yoghurt.

A lot of the yoghurt making instuctions ie using a pan to heat the milk, say to add the starter and milk powder when the milk is cool enough to keep your little finger in there without it burning.

So, it sounds like the 3 hours is just to be on the safe side, you have added after one hour, I added after 1 1/2 hours and both made thick yoghurt, so if anyone may miss the 3 hour point ie has to pop out on the school run, you should be ok cutting out an hour or two.

That sounds more like yoghurt cheese, I think I would be putting a bit of the drained whey back in to thin it out a bit, unless I wanted to make soft cheese.

I think the second stage ie the 3 hour wait, is to bring the temp down so that it doesn't kill of the live bacteria in the starter yoghurt.

A lot of the yoghurt making instuctions ie using a pan to heat the milk, say to add the starter and milk powder when the milk is cool enough to keep your little finger in there without it burning.

So, it sounds like the 3 hours is just to be on the safe side, you have added after one hour, I added after 1 1/2 hours and both made thick yoghurt, so if anyone may miss the 3 hour point ie has to pop out on the school run, you should be ok cutting out an hour or two.

Don't forget though this may not work in the summer months when it gets warmer, you may need to leave it for the 3 hours then as the room will be warmer.

warmed milk as usual and was waiting for it to cool down before adding other stuff. Was really creamcrackered so I did the next stage after only waiting an hour result this morning a much thicker yoghurt - straining now. Cant beat it - next batch on later :)

I tried another batch last night but the milk still seemed quite hot after 1½ hrs so I left it for 2 instead of 3.

The end result this morning?

Great, def thicker than when leaving for the full 3 hour second stage.

;)

I made some yesterday and was going to strain tonight but I dont think I need to - I must say DWTBF it is very morish on a muffin or two - im definately not buying anymore at £2 + a pot, it soon mounts up and to be honest mine is far superior ;) it jolly well is though :) thank you again for such a fab very useful post x

I deffo prefer it made with soya milk. It seems much smoother.... less sharp, if you know what I mean :)

CHRISR said:
I made some yesterday and was going to strain tonight but I dont think I need to - I must say DWTBF it is very morish on a muffin or two - im definately not buying anymore at £2 + a pot, it soon mounts up and to be honest mine is far superior ;) it jolly well is though :) thank you again for such a fab very useful post x

It's like eating cream cakes ;-)

I'm not reaching the muffin stage, I have taken to eating some out of the pot whenever I am in the kitchen. :rolleyes: Luckily I am the only one eating it.

Actually, I am eating it with muffins mixed with a bit of splenda and strawberry jelly crystals first. Lovely!;)

help!, think i've done something wrong?

well i've checked the slow cooker after 8 hours and it certainly smells like yoghurt but it's quite runny.

so i've put it thru a muslin cloth over a sieve and most of it has drained thru into the bowl without seperating?

normally shouldn't the yoghurt stay up in the muslin?

please can anyone help?

help!, think i've done something wrong?

well i've checked the slow cooker after 8 hours and it certainly smells like yoghurt but it's quite runny.

so i've put it thru a muslin cloth over a sieve and most of it has drained thru into the bowl without seperating?

normally shouldn't the yoghurt stay up in the muslin?

please can anyone help?

It sounds like it didn't set.

So, either your milk was too hot when you added the starter yoghurt, you added it too late ie after 2½ hrs, the starter yoghurt was too cold ie sometimes too cold if you use it straight from the fridge, or your starter yoghurt was not a live yoghurt.

Can't think of any other reasons.

i noticed the milk was once again lukewarm when I added the Yeo valley probiotic starter and the dried milk after 3 hours cooling ( this was using the brand new slow cooker which i bought yesterday)

so today I've made another batch and this time tested the milk after an hour's cooling (instead of the usual 3) and it was hot but cool enough to leave my finger in without burning so I've put the ingredients in early (last 2 times added them after 3 hours cooling)
It will be ready about 9.15pm tonight.

third time lucky I hope...:sigh:

i noticed the milk was once again lukewarm when I added the Yeo valley probiotic starter and the dried milk after 3 hours cooling ( this was using the brand new slow cooker which i bought yesterday)

so today I've made another batch and this time tested the milk after an hour's cooling (instead of the usual 3) and it was hot but cool enough to leave my finger in without burning so I've put the ingredients in early (last 2 times added them after 3 hours cooling)
It will be ready about 9.15pm tonight.

third time lucky I hope...:sigh:

I have added the starter after about 1½ hrs and it worked so I am sure you will be fine this time.

As long as it isn't too hot to be able to leave your little finger in then it should be fine.

Let us know how you get on.

Don't forget it will also thicken once left in the fridge for a few hours.

I put mine in the fridge to cool and thicken then pour into a colander lined with a mans hanky to make extra thick yoghurt.

well it hasn't set but it's slightly thicker than the last one. I've strained it and when it stopped dripping thru the muslin i've managed to get 500ml of not so thick yoghurt.

I tell you what I have noticed with the new s/cooker, that when I'm heating the milk for the 2.5 hours on low, the milk has burned around the edges, so perhaps my s/cooker is too hot and killing off too much bacteria and stopping it setting?

Does any one else's milk burn around the edges?

I've put another batch on this morning, will check the temperature at 2 hours and perhaps turn off then and keep checking temp til it drops to 110f then add ingredients.

I'm determined to get some decent yoghurt from this and even more determined to get the boursin cheese!

just looking around on google, and found this site which says if you're using UHT milk there's no need to heat milk and let it cool down to 110f (as the milk has already been heated to the required high temperature before the milk carton was sealed) just to heat it up to 110f and then add ingredients?

How to Make Yogurt - wikiHow

whaddya think?

Last edited:
scratch what i said on my first post this morning.

decided to try just heating up milk to 110f.

so Just added ingredients and left it to breed til i go bed tonight..

fourth time lucky, me hopes...:sigh:

I tell you what I have noticed with the new s/cooker, that when I'm heating the milk for the 2.5 hours on low, the milk has burned around the edges, so perhaps my s/cooker is too hot and killing off too much bacteria and stopping it setting?

Does any one else's milk burn around the edges?

Blimey! You are not having much luck.

There is no way it should be burning when on low especially if only on for 2 1/2 hrs.

What would happen if you left something in there for 8 hours or so!

I would take it back to the shop and get it exchanged, it sounds like it is overheating.

Back