100% on plan for two weeks from 18 June

Much better this week (post weekend blow out.) Went for run two last night and managed to do more than the plan, which I was thrilled about. Step 3 with no evening carbs this week for me, but after the weekend, the scales are only just showing Saturday's weight - hoping for another 1 or 2lb off before WI again on Sat...

xx

I'm still hovering around 10 3 on the scales all the time but my clothes are tighter and it's because I'm not consistent with my exercise. Really just need to knuckle down with this before wedding season :)

Pleased your enjoying the running Flic - it really is such a good form of exercise. Don't get me wrong there are days when I don't fancy it but I always feel good after. x

Morning all! Hope you're all having good days. I'm about to head into the office but would much rather still be cosy in my bed. Still haven't found my mojo and still have a head full of cold.

Xxx

Morning Tigg - I know what you mean, I need to be a lady of leisure :)

So my scales are REALLY getting on my nerves. Showing another lb gained, that's 3lb in 2 weeks :-( No reason why. I'm running 40+KM a week and eating no more than 1400 cals a day, so depressing!! Anyone got any suggestions? I can't really be cutting out carbs as I need these for the running. My other half says to just wait and hopefully my body will go back to losing but it's depressing. Below is my average daily diet:

Breakfast - Porridge with Semi Skimmed milk - measured sachet
Snack - Apple
Lunch - Either low cal soup with Rivita's or ham salad sandwich with Beetroot salad followed by fresh pineapple and a clementine
Snacks in the afternoon pre run - Banana and maybe another apple or sometimes one of them light alpen bars that are like 70 cals
Dinner - I try and keep this to 500 cals. Last night I had a breaded fish fillet baked (250 cals), carrot and swede mash (110 cals) and peas with a tiny bit of tomato ketchup. I then had a bit more pineapple and a clementine.

Anyone got any ideas? Maybe too much fruit? Might try and change my lunch to a salad with protein to cut out a few carbs there. I wanted to lose another 12lb and was happy doing this a lb a week which is what I was roughly getting but the past 2 weeks have seen me gain which is not good, I've not changed anything about from the amount of running which has increased. I can't go back to the shakes, not even sure I could with so little to lose but anyway I love running too much.
x

I also drink 3 litres of water a day and 2 coffees in the morning. No fizz or squash. I sometimes have the odd lucozade sport after a long run but that is all.

Hey Liz,

With the amount you're running, it's a bit of a conundrum to me as i'm sure you're burning a tonne of calories. I would suggest cutting down the fruit first to see if that makes a difference, if not - try cutting lunchtime carbs, but don't do both at once as you'll never know the cause.

The other possibility of course is that you're gaining more muscle which weighs heavier than fat? Have you noticed a change in body shape since doing more running? Maybe that could also be something to consider?

It all sounds brilliant, so don't beat yourself up too much about it.

xx

I just checked my ap and in the past week I have ran 48KM which burnt 4441 calories. With the 600 a day less that I'm eating (they say you should have 2000 a day) I'm eating 4200 cals less a week than I should need and burning 4441 so my deficit is 8641, they say you should lose 1lb for every 3500 less you eat/burn so I should be losing 2.5 lb a week so they say, MFP says that too but it isn't happening lol. So depressing!!!

I do feel slightly slimmer and more toned but it's so disheartening!! xx

Focus on the slimmer and toned Liz! Sometime's a number's just a number and i'm sure it'll all work itself out - just be patient, like OH says.

xx

I just checked my ap and in the past week I have ran 48KM which burnt 4441 calories. With the 600 a day less that I'm eating (they say you should have 2000 a day) I'm eating 4200 cals less a week than I should need and burning 4441 so my deficit is 8641, they say you should lose 1lb for every 3500 less you eat/burn so I should be losing 2.5 lb a week so they say, MFP says that too but it isn't happening lol. So depressing!!! I do feel slightly slimmer and more toned but it's so disheartening!! xx

The 2000 kcals isn't truly what you as an individual needs. They raised the number back in the 50s or 60s because food had become less nutritious due to intensive farming but we all just ate naughty calories! You need to work out your basal metabolic rate (bmr) and your tdee (takes into account exercise etc). There are online calculators for these. Then you need to take that as your calorie maximum and minus 500 calls from it and that should be your calorie target.

You are building muscle, measure yourself rather than weigh. You should notice that difference. As for where your calories come from. Ensuring that you have good quality protein and whole grains is the best place to start. Porridge is good as is the the sandwich or soup (with good bread or ryvita). Id be a little more sparing on the very sweet fruit like pineapple and think about having berries instead; they have a lower gi and less sugar. There's nothing wrong with carbs but if you aren't using them they do just get converted to fat so eat them as you're using them or make them complex! See if working out your bmr or tdee changes your target first though! Xxx

Last edited:
Thanks both.

I have never heard of BMR or TDEE. I just used the calculators and got the below results:

BMR1550.3
TDEE - 2187 (this was based on putting in exercising 5 times a week, it didn't ask what types of exercise of length though?? )

So it said to take off no more than 25% off the TDEE which is 1640. Does this mean I'm not eating enough?

I do like to eat berries but they are so expensive at the mo. Maybe I'll just have the pineapple once a day in the week (don't have it weekends). I was also thinking of nuts instead of some of the fruit. I don't want to start snacking on other things as I find it's a slippery slope :-( x

Yes it could be that you're just not eating enough! I think a little bag of almonds in place of the pineapple would be a good choice. They are good fats and protein and not sweet like the pineapple!

I'd suggest eating your bmr cals and having the exercise cals (worked out using mfp or something similar) as additional when you need them cals! But make sure to fuel your long runs!

Xxx

It's all so confusing with my body, I think I've mucked up my metabolism with all these diets over the years :-(

Will get some berries and nuts at the weekend - or when I win the lotto lol.

I feel great and this time last year I would of killed someone to be in this position now but I always want more :) Or less I should say. x

It's all so confusing with my body, I think I've mucked up my metabolism with all these diets over the years :-( Will get some berries and nuts at the weekend - or when I win the lotto lol. I feel great and this time last year I would of killed someone to be in this position now but I always want more :) Or less I should say. x

Is the penny sale on at Holland and barret? They do dried berries and you could bag em up to the right amount. Of course make sure to get unsweetened ones! Then your almonds could be a penny!

I'm sure you look and feel great. Try to focus on that and not specific numbers. We often get caught up in numbers and forget to just enjoy what we have!

Xxx

Thanks - I'll have a look in there.

I have my first race next Sunday (10 miles) then my first 2 half's marathons 4 and 5 weeks away so not going to change anything too much as don't want to affect my running. If I've not lost a few lb after that I will have a look at something different for a few weeks.

Less than 8 months until my wedding :) So excited!!! xx

My body loves fruit too, so much so that it holds onto every bit I eat. You must have inches lost though with all the toning? I'd have the scales thrown out the window in disgust.

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind a newbie saying hello, well done and good luck to you all.

LizWhite, if you don't mind me saying, perhaps add a bit more protein to your diet to try and get things going again. How about boiled egg with breakfast, something like grilled salmon for dinner instead of breaded fish, and perhaps stick to low GI fruit and veg for a while. Best of luck x

Thanks all. Think I'll swap the fruit round a bit, try and eat a bit less and have some nuts.

Not too sure on eating more at breakfast as I have it at work and don't fancy cold eggs. Maybe a bit more at lunch.

Kiwi - deffo more toned. My legs have got bigger and my thighs look huge when tensed!!! Not sure if I'm happy about the legs or not :-/

Total loss - 3 stone 12lb :)

142.5 this morning. Heading out tomorrow night so wanted to see where Im at before the Valentines massacre.

Back