30 Day Shred Challenge

Yesterday was a real killer, my legs and arms weren't really aching til I worked out again, i was in so much pain! My knee joints hurt and my arms were killing doing the press ups an weights. It's good though cos I guess that means it's working in fact the fronts of my thighs feel more toned already :)

What size weights do u guys use or do u know what ones Jillian uses? I don't have any so I've been using a couple of jars of dolmio!

Yesterday was a real killer, my legs and arms weren't really aching til I worked out again, i was in so much pain! My knee joints hurt and my arms were killing doing the press ups an weights. It's good though cos I guess that means it's working in fact the fronts of my thighs feel more toned already :)

What size weights do u guys use or do u know what ones Jillian uses? I don't have any so I've been using a couple of jars of dolmio!

Jade, just a warning to be careful with your knees. Although I already have arthritis in mine, they are now permanently damaged because I did 5 or so days of the 30 Day Shred last year. The routine is particularly bad for knee joints and I don't want you (or anyone else) to end up like me.

I also was wary of the knee thing...I made sure to buy some decent knee supports before level 2 because I'd hurt my knee in level 1... They made a big difference!
Jade I alternate between 3lb and 5lb hand weights. Dolmio might be fine for the first few days if you're unsure but I'd definitely invest in some decent hand weights, even 1.5/2lb. They're easier to hold as well than Dolmio I'm sure :)

Thanks guys, I tried to take it a bit easier on my knees tonight. I might have a day off tomorrow what do u reckon? Or is it best to stick to every day?

If you're having knee problems just be very, very careful but if not then there's no reason not to continue every day. Just make sure your runners/trainers are cushioned adequately and that you're not working out on concrete or hard floors so that there's less impact on your joints x

I've just been looking at the reviews on amazon and it seems a lot of people have gotten pretty bad knee injuries in a short space of time..... I'm pretty worried now :-/ the exercises that seem to put strain on my knees are the lunges and squats I think I might give those ones a miss and replace them with another move? Any suggestions? I'm only 26 and don't have any knee problems but arthritis does run in my family

Maybe skip the lunges and squats if you're having knee twinges of any kind and while they're doing those you could do jumping jacks or the skipping, just keep your heart rate up until they stop those exercises. Or alternatively do the easier versions of those and without weights x

Hey Jade,

I am taking the odd day off, so it doesn't stain my knee to much.

Thanks Wkdstepmum the idea about the knee support is good I will try that tonight. As i have Knee and hip problems anyway I think this advice will help.
Also Jade if its just mild knee pain try tiger balm, I use this all the time for my knee and back issues and it works wonders to relieve muscle aches and pains.
xxx

Sorry you're in pain! Are you making sure you have Good posture when doing the squats/lunges? Your knee must never come over your foot, sometimes it's easy to slip out of Good posture when the reps are adding up and your in pain/tired!!!
Try doing exercises in front of the mirror perhaps?
You could alternate the DVD with swimming or walking both great low impact exercises.
Keep us posted xxx

started today! Fist 5 min were horrible but then it was ok!

I'm probably blowing out of proportion, it doesn't hurt when I'm not exercising just during the workout. I think I've just scared myself a bit reading those reviews!

Congrats allesandra stick with it I've lost 3lbs in the 3 days since I started, o agree as well the first circuit is the hardest one for me!

How is everyone doing? I've just done my 7th workout (had a couple days off at the weekend) and I can now feel muscles in my thinghs calves and arms which I've never had before! I've lost 5lbs since starting :) carly and alessandra are either of on level 2 yet? Although my endurance has improved I still struggle with the squats and lunges and am dreading level 2!

Jade, I only did day 1 :(
We went away for the wkd and mon and tue I cycled. Today I was exhausted! I will try at least 2 more this week.
Congrats on the -5lbs! Well done!

I'd recommend a mat, but as long as you're not doing it on a hard floor....otherwise you can hurt your knees. Weights are really a must but if you don't have any maybe fill two medium water bottles with some lentils/stones/beads or something just so you have something you can use.

I used tins of beans when I didnt have weights

Its good to exercise and either tone or build muscle, the only thing to take into account is your weight.

Even though exercise will burn fat, it will bulid muscle, and of course muscle weighs more than fat.

If you dont lose as much as you wish to whilst exercising, dont become disillushioned, just keep up the good work.

Muscle mass burns more calories than fat, even at rest. Weight repetitions also help to strengthen bones which is never a bad thing. 30-Day Shred is basically a circuit training DVD with some light weights. You won't build massive bulky muscle from this, it tones and strengthens, builds lean muscle and improves lung capacity.
Stick with it, it rocks...but mind your knees if you have bad joints or are carrying a lot of weight.

I keep staring at cteena48's Zumba game, i will have to start that soon..

Back