A healthy Life starts here!

Hi Amanda-jane

just wanted to say well done for your weight loss so far, and for having such a great attitude. There are truely some horrible people out there who are quick to judge and do not think how cruel and hurtfull they are being. Your resiliance through it is inspirational. Cant wait to see how you get on. Go you!!!!

Val xxx

Hi Amanda-jane

just wanted to say well done for your weight loss so far, and for having such a great attitude. There are truely some horrible people out there who are quick to judge and do not think how cruel and hurtfull they are being. Your resiliance through it is inspirational. Cant wait to see how you get on. Go you!!!!

Val xxx

Thank you so much Val, it means a lot to me. :hug99:

Today I lost 3lbs and now weigh 19st 1lb (267lbs).

It also means.. Ta da daaaa! That I have reached the 3stone mark :D

I am so pleased.

I weighed myself at home before going to a friend's house to weigh myself on the Wii, like normal, but it only showed about a ½ lb loss. I can explain that but it is rather personal. Something we all go and trying to keep regular, that is all that I will say on that.. Too many details.

Exercising/walking is going really well. I am very pleased with that too. I try to walk 150 minutes a week over 5 days and more often than not walk double that over 5 days.

I hope to achieve my Gold body magic in 3 weeks. :D

Last edited:
Diet has gone well I feel. Although I really should eat before going out and then not being able to eat until I get home between 5 and 7pm. Mainly because I don't want to go over in Syns and at my friend's house he isn't very healthy food wise. To be honest he doesn't even have food most of the time...
It has been a very low Syn week. Most days being 3-5 Syns. Twice I reached the 9 Syn mark.
I have had more red meat this week than white which is unusual but then I have to go by what is left to eat.
A couple of times I went without an Allowance but that is because by the end of the day I wasn't hungry so they wasn't used. Of course if I had eaten earlier in the day I probably would have used them.
Walking is going a long greatly. I didn't walk as much as last week but still over the minimum that I set myself.

Today I weighed in at 19st 2lbs (268lbs)
That is a gain of 1lb.
:(

I got no idea how... I haven't over-eaten. I have kept to Slimming World Original days. It has really been bugging me all day. Going over in my mind trying to figure it out.
I have been having Free foods each day. I stuck to the plan. Well kind of... As mentioned above I guess. But surely that isn't enough to make me gain weight...
I know that it is always said that you must eat breakfast, could that be why?
When I went to Slimming World years ago they told me that not eating enough will make me gain weight. Could that be why? Which would also point to eating before going out.
Also I had more red than white meat which is fattier. Even though mine is very lean.
Could it be because I have missed a couple of Allowances?
I truly have no idea.
I am under the 3 stone loss now. :(I was trying hard to loss 2lbs so that I would be under 19stone (266).

I am not sure what to do about the coming week now though. My fridge, freezer and cupboards are bare. No free foods and no meat. Green days will make me gain weight anyway.
Yes I am claiming the poverty card for a week at least. We have all been through it. I know things can be a struggle but literally no meals... The bills are basically paid though.

Going to increase the minimum walking amount for each day to 40-50+ minutes 5 days a week.

Hi Amanda-Jane

Hope you are ok this week - I know it is disheartening when you have a gain and you dont know why especially when you have been good - i hope you have been able to stay on track.

I also wanted to stop by and let you know you have inspired me to do some walking and am really enjoying it this week - you get to see so much (and be a bit nosey too - oops! bad me ;) )

val xxx

Hi Amanda-Jane

Hope you are ok this week - I know it is disheartening when you have a gain and you dont know why especially when you have been good - i hope you have been able to stay on track.

I also wanted to stop by and let you know you have inspired me to do some walking and am really enjoying it this week - you get to see so much (and be a bit nosey too - oops! bad me ;) )

val xxx

Thanks Val, those words mean a lot.

Just about to post this week's and I was totally thrown for a loop by this week's weigh-in...
Not what I expected at all.

As I was walking my friend's dog today it was just so nice. I live on the edge of a town so kind of close to the countryside and I am really lovely it.
I am so glad that I persisted in getting out there each day, well five days a week at least hehe.
In May I couldn't walk to a friend's house who is just a 10 minute walk away without having to stop twice because my back hurt that bad and the walk then would take a good 20 minutes.

I know I have only lost 3stone but I feel great when walking now. I feel so fit and alive. I don't even mind going out when hot (hates hot weather and it hates me hehe) or when it is raining.
God only knows what I will feel like after another 3stone or more hehe.

There is nothing wrong with being nosey hehe. It doesn't feel nosey when out walking, not like peeking out of your window anyway lol.

Wow I inspired someone, thank you so much. That is such an honour. I never thought that I would inspire anyone.

It is nice having friends here that are going through the same journeys. Next best thing to going to a club.

Amanda xx

Well as predicted it has been a crappy week. I started off Saturday in the state of mind that generally ends up worse. By the end of the day I had had about 6 HeB allowances and 4-5 HeA allowances (He = Healthy extra) and no free foods.
The rest of the week was nothing special. There were no free foods to eat really so I just tried not to over do it, especially after Saturday's mess up.
Yesterday I had resigned myself to the fact that I have obviously gained this week so I had two sausage rolls that my daughter shared with me.

I have been shopping so I am getting myself back on track now, hopefully.

I have have had three nice long country walks this week when walking with a friend's dog. Well, as country as you can get when living on the edge of a town.
The weather is cooler now which is nice and I love just walking with amazing views all around me. It is so inspiring. It makes me want to do photography again.

Today I weighed in at 19st (266lbs)
That is a loss of 2lbs.

I know!... Who would have thought it!... Certainly not me.
Well that was completely unexpected.
Sometimes I don't understand this. I can follow Slimming World to the letter and keep it low Syns and lose a lb and other times I can be all messed up and lose 2lbs...
But it is more like two steps forward and one step back at the moment and I won't get to 18 stone by Christmas at this rate.
I do also realise that it has been years since I have been under 20 stone. So something is obviously working, even if very slowly.
They do say that losing weight is harder to do as you get older. Maybe that is why I am losing a lot less each week than when I first went to Slimming World.

I am hoping to get Kettle-bells for Christmas to help tone most of my body especially the upper body.
I have started doing the exercise with the weights I have that I would do with Kettle-bells so as to get my body used to it. I thought that there would be less chance of muscle injury that way if my muscles are prepared.

kettlebell-swings.jpg

Well done on 2 lbs this week - It may not feel as if you did it the 'right' way, but it is still 2 lbs to the cause. and you still have 11 weeks till xmas - so 14lbs is do-able.

Things get really tricky when you have nothing in dont they! Today for my 'salad' all i had in was tomatos and carrot - hopefully get to the shops tomorrow, cos I finished off all the tomatos lol!!!

Sounds lovely,on the edge of the countryside - and great that u can borrow someones dog to take with you. I have only managed 1 decent walk in the last week - its hotting up here so have to motivate myself early. Must do better! Right, am gonna take the kids down to get the paper tomorrow and stop off at the park on the way back, and then off to aldi's after - right that's a plan!

Take care xxx

Well done on 2 lbs this week - It may not feel as if you did it the 'right' way, but it is still 2 lbs to the cause. and you still have 11 weeks till xmas - so 14lbs is do-able.

Things get really tricky when you have nothing in dont they! Today for my 'salad' all i had in was tomatos and carrot - hopefully get to the shops tomorrow, cos I finished off all the tomatos lol!!!

Sounds lovely,on the edge of the countryside - and great that u can borrow someones dog to take with you. I have only managed 1 decent walk in the last week - its hotting up here so have to motivate myself early. Must do better! Right, am gonna take the kids down to get the paper tomorrow and stop off at the park on the way back, and then off to aldi's after - right that's a plan!

Take care xxx

Thanks Val :)
I am the same with tomatoes, especially those small ones. I finished off them as nibbles one night hehe.

Luckily we have just gotten over our mini heatwave and we are getting weather I like, although a tad windy hehe.

Good plan. :D
I like to have plans and lists and get things sorted too.

Review of the week:
What a week. Had more Syns than I liked at the beginning of the week so I thought 'Fine I will make up for it the next day' but then the next day came and I had the normal 9 Syns so I never really made up for it. Then I had an Irish cream latte at a friend's and I haven't had one of these in ages. I love these and after I found out that they was only 5.5 Syns!. So I bought some, vowing to make them last. Well I am making them last but not as long as I wanted. So felt sure this week would be a gain hehe.
I did the usual 40 minute walks, but three days I did more by going for my country walks. Trying to make up for the treats.
Also I did the kettlebell exercises twice this week to help my muscles to prepare.

Today I weighed in at 18st 13lbs (265lbs)

A loss of 1lb :D

Well that was a shock hehe. But a happy one.

This next week is going to be different...
This has been coming on for awhile and something I wish I could do for many many years but felt I couldn't. Plus I really enjoy my meaty meals.
I have now gotten to the point I can't eat meat. I can't face it, every time I do I think of all the harm that has come to animals from humans. I don't want to be part of that in any way.
So from last night I no longer eat meat, any meat. I will buy eggs from the local farm. I still have skimmed milk, not sure what to do about that yet but I would eventually like to change to a substitute. I also have vegetarian cheese and so on.
Today my daughters and I went to the local supermarket for a good look at what is available.
I have bought some Quorn products, as I was a meat eater I class it as transition.
I also need to make this work with Slimming World...
It does mean following Green days and we know how that is with me so I have a plan for that. Less bulk pasta and more vegetables as I would when on a Red day.
I think I can do this. I haven't told many yet. Only three are the ones to know. I need to prove that I can do this before being ridiculed by other family and friends that I know.
But I know there is no going back now. I am 100% dedicated to this.
Then I will let others know. Plus some need to know before Christmas because of Christmas dinner hehe.

This is really going to take some adjusting, going vegetarian while following SW. A whole new thing for me... No meat AND Green days!..

A bad day today... It was just one of those days that I didn't fancy preparing/cooking food. So I ended up picking.
Syns wise though I had a Muller Rice and 5 bags of Pom-bears. I was only going to have one but then I had another and thought well that isn't so bad I can make up for it tomorrow..
I ended up eating 5 bags of them. :break_diet: They are soooo nice though hehe.

Oh well tomorrow is a new day. Start over again.

Not going to say much. No one really notices these anyway hehe.

This week I lost 3lbs, taking me to 18st 10lbs. :D
I am 2lbs from the 3½ st mark.

I have had my first full green/no meat week. I am really pleased with how well it went. Especially now that I can lose weight on Green days whereas I couldn't before.
The 3 people I thought that would be supportive were brilliant. The ones that I thought would be negative... Well they really was :(
I have been called a hypocrite and selfish and all sorts.
Been told that I won't last a month, they have given me to January til I quit and start eating meat again..

Congratulations on your fantastic loss this week, especially with the big changes you have made to your diet.

Good on you for having such conviction on going veggie, and it's great that you have people supporting you on the change - as for the negative ones :sigh: Why is it that some people are so 'glass half empty'. I think the best thing you can do is prove them wrong, and I hope you do!!!

I was veggie for a while when i was a student (prob more because of lack of funds!!) Had a nut roast for xmas lunch - it was really yummy! - until I figured out mum used the meat juices in the gravy! 'But its only gravy' she said - I don't think she really got it!!

Looking forward to seeing how you get on next week (I notice it!!!) xxx

Hi Val and thank you. Yep you noticed hehe. xx

Well!... It turns out Quorn and my body don't get on well together...

I am slowly getting better but it has taken a week so far of no Quorn to get better. A week of looking up everything I can about it. Turns out that if you are allergic to molds/penicillin there is a chance you can be allergic to Quorn and I am allergic to penicillin, oh well.

Hi Amanda Jane - thats bad new news bout the quorn, but I have heard of other people being allergic, something to do with it being made from mushrooms. Hope you can find other protein substitutes so you can still keep your dream of becoming veggie, have you tried tofu? It's made from soya so hopefully you will be ok with it.

Hope you have got over your allergy and are having a good week xxx

Hi Amanda Jane - thats bad new news bout the quorn, but I have heard of other people being allergic, something to do with it being made from mushrooms. Hope you can find other protein substitutes so you can still keep your dream of becoming veggie, have you tried tofu? It's made from soya so hopefully you will be ok with it.

Hope you have got over your allergy and are having a good week xxx

Hi Val.
I haven't tried Tofu. It looks weird, kind of like a lump of soft cheese...
I have been kind of wary about trying it to be honest.

I have no plans on not being a veggie though :) So no worries there.

I have to admit when I tried tofu, I didn't rate it, the texture was a bit like aubergine, which I dont like - so thats what put me off, but apparently it takes on the flavour of whatever you put with it as it has little of it's own, so its very flexible. I didn't think much of quorn mince either as I found it has a funny aftertaste. Good to know it hasnt knocked you off course though :) xxx

Well it is that time of week again.

Eating just vegetables is going to take a lot of getting used to. It can be easy to having boring, repetitive meals and I don't want that. Plus trying to keep things low Syn as well isn't easy. A lot of vegetarian recipes have high Syn ingredients. But things take time. :)
I have bought a couple of vegetarian cookbooks but not many recipes in them really that I do like. Too spicy or something. Plus there are quite a few that use Quorn. But I will prevail.
Plus I can find recipes online.

Generally the week has gone okay except for one day hehe.
My daughter and I bought a packet of pecan nuts, a certain amount of certain nuts are allowed as part of the allowance on Green days. It started off okay as things usually do but they was so nice. I ended up eating about 3/4 of the packet.
I haven't checked the Syns on them yet.

*looks it up*

Well it seems 3 pecan nuts are allowed as a Healthy Extra B, which is about 28g. 28g of pecan nuts is 9 Syns.
The packet was 150g and I had 100g... that's 32 Syns. :O Ouch! I was bad!...

Exercise is still going well, I am doing the minimum that I set myself of 40 minutes 5 times a week but I don't feel it is enough. It is less than what I usually do. But I have reached my Gold Body Magic this week :D

Today I weighed in at 18st 10lbs. Not a loss but not a gain either.

I wasn't too shocked after I had looked back over the week. I was in denial about the nuts which I think that is why I didn't look them up. Plus I still had 9 Syns each day so I didn't try to make up for the extra Syns at all this week.

Next time I know to check them up before eating them and getting carried away.
I also think that I should keep a food diary for a few weeks. That might help with the change of diet and having to re-evaluate the whole red/green day thing.

Back