A moan about tasters!

We had one weds. I made a syn free dip. People made a right load of ****. Tasty but not syn friendly or involving Superfree foods! We still all gotta live and tasters take u to syn overload! I mean pigs in blankets! And they weren't skinnie lizzies!

YP xxx

We had a great Food taster,
Spicy Mackerel Pasta Salad
Couscous salad
Ham and Cheese quiche
Quiche made with Quark
Quiche made with Cottage cheese and chives
SW Scotch Eggs
Chicken Korma
Cheese and onion scones
Carrot Cake
I made a three Pepper Frittata

There were 30+ people at group and one lady made two dishes and another made three!

We had a great Food taster,
Spicy Mackerel Pasta Salad
Couscous salad
Ham and Cheese quiche
Quiche made with Quark
Quiche made with Cottage cheese and chives
SW Scotch Eggs
Chicken Korma
Cheese and onion scones
Carrot Cake
I made a three Pepper Frittata

There were 30+ people at group and one lady made two dishes and another made three!

I wanna come to your group!

We had a taster last week. There was lots

couscous
quiche (2 lots)
chicken curry
scan bran cake
weetabix cake
half syn roulade
eton mess
half syn jellies
mikado
low syn sweets
velvet crunch
houmous and veggies.

I go to group on the way home from work so I bought velvet crunch as I didn't have time to go home and take something out of the fridge and wouldn't risk leaving something in a cool bag and risk poisoning people. We'd been talking about velvet crunch the week before and no-one had heard of them so I feel that I was educating people! :D

I have to say though it was really good evening and I ended up getting to know people at group much better and going shopping on the way home for ingredients to make the scan bran cake and the syn free houmous!

couscous
quiche (2 lots)
chicken curry
scan bran cake
weetabix cake
half syn roulade
eton mess
half syn jellies
mikado
low syn sweets
velvet crunch
houmous and veggies.

I go to group on the way home from work so I bought velvet crunch as I didn't have time to go home and take something out of the fridge and wouldn't risk leaving something in a cool bag and risk poisoning people. We'd been talking about velvet crunch the week before and no-one had heard of them so I feel that I was educating people! :D

I have to say though it was really good evening and I ended up getting to know people at group much better and going shopping on the way home for ingredients to make the scan bran cake and the syn free houmous!

I wanna come to your group too!

I hate not bringing anything to taster, I go to sw with my mum and obvs she brings something, but I can't cook :/ need to learn

Hopefully this month we'll have a taster at the sw I go to, last month we didn't :/

couscous
quiche (2 lots)
chicken curry
scan bran cake
weetabix cake
half syn roulade
eton mess
half syn jellies
mikado
low syn sweets
velvet crunch
houmous and veggies.

*Wonders what velvet crunch is!*

I love taster night. Last time i brought about 2kg of kfc chicken, a full gigantic lasagna, and i made some microwave crisps and superfree soup.

purpleboots said:
Oh goodness me, I didn't know about tasters yet! Now I'm both a)not really wanting to win slimmer of the week as most of the prizes have gluten in so I can't eat them b)anxious about tasters! Thing is with coeliac people often say something is fine but they don't understand how serious it is and how much gluten is in a normal kitchen, and then they'll think im rude if theyve made a special effort and...and...argh!! I hate coeliac! stupid disease /rantover!!

Yrs ago when I was at school I did an entire project on coeliac disease and agree stupid disease and I feel for ya in our sotw basket it tends to have a lot of fruit in it which would be ok and when I've won stuff in sotw that I won't eat ie mug shots bloody gluten filled pasta I just take it the week after for the sotw bag lol

missblonde said:
I have my first ever taster group next Monday - any recommendations for dishes that go down well? I know some people are doing the KFC chicken and someone is doing coleslaw.

I was think maybe a Syn-Free Salmon Pate with carrot sticks and maybe the Nutella scanbran bites as I won some scan bran in my SOTW basket and fancied giving it a try!

I make smoked mackerel pate using aldis smoked mackerel as I rang syn hotline and its syn free

I like to cook for group and even make stuff when its not a taster week I'm a total foodie. It would be nice if more people cooked for tasters but tbh not everyone can cook and if what they make isn't nice and theirs is only dish left I'd feel bad for them :( everyone has their reasons I suppose .... if I have a busy day sometimes I may just make a savoury rice up as its nice to try syn free quick cook cheap to buy foods or make a mushy pea curry with 2 tins of smart price mushies a tin of tomatoes an onion and curry powder (costs around 50p for a pan full)

I was too scared to make something as I am vegan!!! Didn't think anyone would want to try it, likewise I thought there would be nothing I could eat but everyone was lovely, walking me through what was in it, ended up eating ome cous cous and lovely soup which I have got the recipes for...next session I am gonna try and bring some food in but I often work lonnnng shifts in care (72 hour shift anyone??!lol) so would need a day off on weigh in day to prepare.

Don't ever be scared as that's the whole purpose to try things out and swap ideas/recipes. I'm sure if you put a little post it note or something on the plate to let people know it was vegan it would be appreciated. As you work shifts could you make something a couple of days before that would either keep in the fridge or freezer till WI. You will be fine :)

Thanks, good ideas :) It was more that there would be nothing that I could eat...and that some people would find 'hardcore' vegan food a bit scary. (like if it was tofu/seitan/asian food - i live in norfolk and people here are a bit, shall we say, traditional??! haha!) but everyone was fine. I guess I am getting used to being the only vegan in group and subject to all kinds of curious questions and ''can you eat this?" I'll get used to it :)

my weigh in is usually after work, sometimes when ive been stuck there for 3 days. you want to see the size of the food bags we take into work to last for that long!!! but I'll have to think of something i can prepare or leave at work. booo to shift work!

Well I know I would personally struggle unless you told me what kind of things you do/can eat, so you could use this as a learning curve for the others in your class. It will educate them too, I can only imagine how much you take for your shift lol. Rather you than me, but I suppose by now your used to it? Good luck and get ya thinking cap on for ya next taster :)

Back