Angie's Exante Adventure

Haha I managed to attract the crazys no matter my size. I think its a skill ;-)

Well done on your loss. You must be really noticing the physical differences by now :)

Thank you,

I start pulling people into my orbit ( not just the crazies) at around 14 stone, well let's just say at that weight I stop being a wall of non-person & start becoming recognisably female ;)

I can't see much of a difference at the mo, unfortunately I'll need to lose another 18lbs before there's a shift in what others see. I can see my face and neck/shoulders are thinner, unfortunately I still block out the sun with my wall-ness.

That's why when I did cd Vlcd the first time back in 2009 and lost 5 stone quickly, I got the impression my new figure was quite shocking, cos at 14 stone, I.e 3 stone down, no one really noticed much, but at 12.7 I'd got my waist, cheekbones and long lean thighs back. Sometimes people would come out and say, others just stared at my legs. I remember it freaked me out somewhat.

Anyway, that won't stop me.

Oh my god! My mom was addicted to those tapes! too funny, she'd go into her study and close the door and you'd hear these bizarre noises! :rotflmao: But I must say that lady motivated thousands of women

Yep, nothing wrong with Jane Fonda (except she now says she had an eating disorder when she did the tapes and threw up to stay trim.....)

Anyway, her fitness tape helped me get to and stay at size 12 for much of my early 20's, they'd realised by the mid 80's that aerobic exercise was good if not better than exercising so hard u couldn't breath. Anyway think I might dig it out even just to smile and remember being 20 something again.

Okay so I had a mind bump, which is when the Vlcd bus is trundling along nicely and then we run over a speed bump. It's not a pot hole, nothing that's going to mean needing to change a wheel, just a sodding great lump in the road that stops the bus until u pick a different gear and run over it.

Mind bump (with dialogue)

Circumstances: Friday night, long day at work. I get in just after hubby and child. I've had half a shake and lots of mint tea all day......was going to cook turkey carbonara for them and have just the turkey with a salad, hubby says as I walk in, how about a moussaka. I'm blindsided.

Weak points: hubby buying dinner, it's my favourite meal, hubby's up for cooking = good food and I don't have to cook. I said yep, I'll just Leave the potato layer, have the aubergine and meat mix. So when we are at the supermarket hubby adds cauliflower cheese and dauphinois potatoes to the basket. I can have some of the Cauliflower I say but non of the potatoes.'
So we get home and it's cooking.

I then start thinking well I've only had 100 cals today, what would be the damage if I have portions of each. Surprisingly, the carb total still keeps me in the ketosis threshold, but gives about 1000, so I enjoy my meal knowing my it's not Vlcd by any means, but still not a bonkers blow out.

But then, I haven't had my usual bar! I feel deprived, so I have 150cal Atkins bar.

Positives: I came back on here and didn't hide or ignore that my mind set is drifting. I knew I was, I went from concentrating on my weight loss goals to thinking 'yay me lost 18lb, now I can sleep walk to the finish, I don't need to go on minimins, I've got this licked.....' . No I can't, no I haven't.
I have weird self talk about not needing to lose weight. It's because I've been imagining myself back at a slim weight and freaking myself out. My mind stopped the bus.

I know because it feels like the bus has stalled, or is trying to climb a hill, when the last couple of weeks I've been trundling nicely down an incline.
But it's all part of the same journey. I'm not getting off the bus. I'm not going to abandon this diary, this diet, my goals. Not this time.

Well done for getting straight back on it Angie and recognising what needs to be done :) . With all the hard work you have put in over the last few week, I don't think its going to affect your losses that much. Good luck for next week, I hope you do really well .

Kay xx

Thank you, I'm just very aware that lots of others, myself included, get on the bus with good intentions, but wilfully or unconsciously, get off either to get onto another bus, or with the intention to get back sometime.

I am being mindful and recording my thought processes. I have every intention of staying on this bus all year if need be. I'm also not trying to be too black and white, either completely Vlcd or giving it up. I am seeking to find the grey areas. The only complete no-no is alcohol or sugary things.

I am protecting my state of ketosis, even if I cheat in smaller ( or bigger) ways. If I stepped out of ketosis I would find it very hard not to put it back on.
I'd forgotten how tricky psychologically I find this diet. It works, you just have to keep doing it! Why is that hard for me?

Anyway, I sat in a cafe today whilst hubby and kiddo ate lovely things. I actually sat quite dispassionately and drank my earl grey. Since I've been home I've had mint tea. Tonight I will be cooking the carbonara I should have eaten yesterday... I have the turkey, with some mushrooms and a small portion of sauce. Yum

Right, weekends are hard for most people, especially if you use food to celebrate, to kick back, to relax, to share with others.....

I seem to be able to do it if we're out together, just 3 of us, if it's a bigger social gathering I do find it hard. I want to join in.
So, am about to go to a kiddies' party.

Unlike when I put on a party and serve food for the mummies as well, this party is likely to be just kiddy food, with left overs for the hovering parents.
Each of the last years, when we've been, I've hoovered up the party food at the end. Because I love pick and mix, finger food, crisps and mini snacks. And I love a free buffet.

So what am I going to do today? Drink tea.
Is eating party food (even non sweet stuff) worth me adding days on this time it takes to do this diet...no.
Is eating party food worth the chance of up ending my Vlcd/ketosis diet cart....no.

So I will drink tea. This buffet is not my bus.

Last edited:
Hey Angie :) , I hope you enjoy your day out hun, and I agree with EL, don't let it stop you from having fun. And yes your right too, nothing is worth getting off the bus over.

Kay xx

No, I didn't let it stop my fun, just drank tea and coffee and didn't snaffle the plates of bickies, I didn't even fancy them, I could see them for what they are....hyper sweet white sugar and flour. They also didnt have plates of buffet food, just individual boxes for each child, so I didn't even get tempted by a slice of ham, sausage roll or cheese on sticks....phew! I even got talking to a ban in the kitchen, said up front that I was on a diet so was allowing myself tea but no bickies. She's doing the 5:2 diet so we talked about that and agreed we both preferred to skip breakfast and spend our food allowance on lunch and an evening meal.

Tip for Maintaing: announce to self, partner and strangers that u are watching yr weight, as it's not just about being vigalent, it's setting yr intention and co-opting others to keep u accountable.

Then we were leaving the party and hubby says to try out a refurbished cafe we know opened yesterday. It's only when I get there do I realise my resolve is low & this is about group eating, which I find hard to resist.
I chose the fish salad with toast and butter. I don't intend to eat the bread, but the smell of wafting toast sways me. But wait! I have a small mouthful of toast and I realise it's not all that, it's greasy and not that tasty. I gave it to hubby and I ate the tiny portion of salmon and crab pate, with the tiny salad. It was tasty, I didn't need any more than a taster & I didn't feel terribly deprived. Not deprived at all. I also chose to have a glass of water instead of another coffee (especially as cafe coffee tends to be with full fat milk).

How this supports my slim life plan: I am practicing thoughtful, measured food choices. I am not having an in for a penny in for a pound mentality (I.e I've gone off plan let's eat the bread........) cos that leads to in for a pound, in for a stone consequences.

I have to get used to making the right choices on a weekend. I love weekends, I love going out and seeing places and eating with the family. I have to make changes, that I can do forever. Hubby will always make suggestions to go off plan. I don't want him to stop asking, I will sometimes want to eat a tasty evening meal or go to a cafe. I have to learn food lessons now & learn to make tricky choices, forever. When I stop the Vlcd, when I am at goal, there will still be weekends and they won't be a licence to eat several courses, the whole menu, not unless that was my actual planned intention and I will have had to save calories from the week, or planned a fast for the next day.

I also realise that at the moment until I am off exante or S& S, I will always want an evening bar. That means I can't eat my bar earlier in the day, it also means my earlier meals of the day must reflect that I need to keep 200cals back.

This is a good plan for my future eating self: save yr calories for later in the day and make sure u have enough for whatever yr having as yr evening meal and small treat.

So, Pat on back, I navigated another weekend, with as little damage as I could. I am still firmly in ketosis, I ate mindfully & I still have my bar and a cup of earl grey for later when Missy's in bed. I feel I've retained some lessons about how I eat, who puts temptation in my way (me and hubby) and how to navigate through it, to enjoy the food and company without feeling left out and without breaking ketosis

I don't know what's changed this time Darcy, I just feel very committed to doing this, but I am hyper aware myself and countless others put in huge amounts of effort and money on Vlcd, but the staying the path, including maintainence eludes us.
I am never doing a Vlcd again, not to put it all on again. I have to learn, I have to work out why, I have to get savvy about what supports me, what undermines me, what keeps me doing this, rather than something else (or doing nothing at all).

I had a big wobble when I only lost a lb in 4 days. What kept me doing this was I'd just bought another box of sachets and I won't waste money or food. Also, though my scales didn't move, the mirror is now telling me clearly I am slimmer. It now feels familiar this weight loss thing and I can see my features again= very rewarding and exciting-supports my belief and determination.

It's all those unconscious motivations, all those links with family and how I use food, I forget these things when I'm eating and gaining weight in a hypnotised/comatose/unthinking way. I don't want to be self conscious about eating forever, but I have to be while I'm doing this diet and I will need to be whilst establish ing maintainence habits.

Anyway, I've got 20 mins til child in bed then earl grey and bar, yum yum yum =)

Hi Angie, well done on today and for sharing your insight. It really helps as I am similar to you in weight and thought processes. I will not do a Vlcd again.

Your thoughts are really helpful Angie - I need to think about how to manage social eating post vlcd.

I'm glad it's helping someone.
Reading my past entries, it is clear I have been doing something wrong while on a vlcd.

I suppose the evidence is on these pages....I have successfully lost lots of weight with a vlcd. So it's not the diet. I also successfully put the weight back on. Not the diets fault....it's something I am unconsciously doing, because no one puts so much effort into losing 3 stone only to find themselves (without realising it) back right a square 1.

What do I do before I stop? What prompted me to stop, what made me not think about regular weigh ins? Why didn't I stop when my clothes got tight?

I vow I will never do a vlcd again, not if I don't learn my lessons now and put it back on. The vlcd is only the first part, it's not over until yr at goal, you've done refeed and maintaining.

Which is why I'm dedicating this year to really turning this around, not just thinking short term what I can lose in 3 months.

But I'm still early in this journey. I estimate it will take me about 30 weeks to get to goal, knowing the weight stalls etc. In it for the long term

Last edited:
Hi Darcy,
I really think it is. It feels like the first time I really had success, I really concentrated on losing the weight in 2008, I wanted to try for a baby and at the start weight of 17stone I knew I had to skinny down, that and an old crush of mine gave me 2 months notice that he was coming into country and though I was/am happily attached, I couldn't stand him seeing me so big, I was embarrassed, so I lost 2.5 stone and looked half okay, by that time I'd got fully into the swing of ketosis and just sticking to packets (no meals I did Cambridge sole source), that it was easy enough to carry on til xmas and lost 5 stone, was just trying to lose a few more pounds when I fell pregnant, so I never did maintainance.

What happened the other times I can't say, I think I was asleep. I remember losing in 2008 and 2012, but I looked through diary entries and realise I actually lost 3 stone in 2011 and have no recollection doing it! And no recollection of eating my way back up again.

Yesterday I posted that I only had 20 mins til daughters bedtime.....I actually didn't wait that long for my bar, I chomped half of it down pottering getting her ready. The problem then was I sat down for my celebratory cuppa tea and me time with barely a third of a bar left :(
So I ate it, felt deprived and ate half an Atkins bar too.

Moral of story and new rule - Angie can not have her bar until it's evening quiet time and has a cuppa tea in front of her. Angie will also cut said bar up in little chunks and chew it throughly and wait between chunks.
So I applied that rule this evening and had a lovely jam yogurt bar cut down the middle then little chunks. I managed to make it last about 15 mins, which is good for me I can usually inhale a bar in about 4 mouthfuls in under 2 minutes. Now I feel stuffed :)

Back