Any body doing 50/50 between different VLCD's?

^^^ Not true AT ALL - I hadn't made up my mind prior to asking :d'oh:

I can't believe how rude you are... and you're a moderator too. :rolleyes:

lauryn said:
^^^ Not true AT ALL - I hadn't made up my mind prior to asking :d'oh:

I can't believe how rude you are... and you're a moderator too. :rolleyes:

Not bring rude at all it's my opinion and I stand by it. There have been several threads like this recently and every time the person who posts completely ignores the advice given and does their own thing despite the warnings

Being a moderator is totally irrelevant. I'm a member here first and foremost and entitled to my opinion

Can I just say I posted about this recently over on the Exante forum. I certainly did not already have my mind made up. Also, although I have ordered a few s&s samples this is because my stocks of Exante products are now almost used up and if I like the s&s products I will swap completely to s&s. I am doing this following the advice I got on this forum and did not ignore it. Seems like you're making assumptions and generalising a tad.

Not at all Lucy and I'm SO glad you're doing it the sensible way :)

There have been many threads like this this past week so much do they're becoming a concern to Minimins. You must be probably the only person who's actually weighed it up and made the sensible decision :) pretty much everyone else has decided to go ahead and do it their way regardless :(. I hate seeing people risking their health un necessarily same as chicken and Ali who also posted do

The bottom line is mixing Vlcds is not a good idea whatever people think and we can't be seen to condone it. It's something were going to look at across the site

Lauryn best of luck with your diet but please if you start feeling any ill effects swap back to one or the other x

I understand your concerns but I think it's a little strong to say that it is never a good idea to mix programmes. If you have two compatible programmes which use the same number of packs per day and you compare the cals/protein/carbs to ensure that they are similar then I don't see a problem. I mix lighter life and Slim and Save and see no issue with this. I have investigated thoroughly and know that I am not taking risks with my health. Whilst I understand your point of view and that people need to be careful when doing this as long as they have done the invesigation then it is their choice.

I can see why mixing a 4 a day programme with a 3 a day programme could be problematic - but why not just say this instead of saying it is always unhealthy to mix programmes - full stop - no discussion and no room for different opinions? This is a forum - the beauty of it is that you get different opinions - so tell people what you think and why you think it but don't try to force everyone to do as you tell them because you're likely to be disappointed. If you take time to explain why you think it's a bad idea rather than just state that it is then people are more likely to take notice.

It's down to a lot more than protein carbs and calories that need to be compared though and unfortunately that seems to be the thing most people focus on. Unfortunately that seems to be what a lot of people see as most important :( Having a little more cals or carbs is basically going to make no difference at all. But all the Vlcds make up is different when it comes to vitamins etc. I don't think it's fair to say I've just said it's a bad idea with no explanation ive explained why on numerous occasions. You're being very unfair to say I expect people to do what I say. That's not the case at all.

If people want to mix products after doing research - the way you have that's one thing but the thing that we can't be seen to do on Minimins is have people asking if it's ok to do it and be told yes it is. There's a fine line, but a big difference

I'm glad its working ok for you :)

Last edited:
When I asked about combining over on Exante the idea was put into my head because people were talking about swapping bl and tesco bars for Exante bars. If you don't want people to swap items then maybe the swapping of bars should not be promoted on the forum. I understand that you have done research and decided that they are like for like swap but it's a bit of a mixed message. On the one hand you're saying that people shouldn't mix and match and on the other hand you're saying it's ok to swap Exante bars for others. Just a thought.

The slight difference though is Exante actually said the bars were a suitable replacement when they were first asked :) They have changed their mind since but then they possibly realised that was sort of shooting themselves in the foot a wee bit :giggle:

But youre absolutely right though and that WILL be looked at too depending ofcourse what Admin decide about Mix and Match threads :)

I'm sorry that you feel that I've been unfair starlight and I appologise if I've upset you in any way. Your passion shines through in every post and I know that you care about people. I think the problem can come when posting on a forum because you can't see gestures or hear the tone of voice and so comments can come across more harshly than they are necessarily meant - which applies to both of us I think.

The reason I refer to 3 pack diets vs 4 pack diets is that all pf the approved VLCDs contain the appropriate nutition in either 3 or 4 packs. Apart from a few exceptions (such as only one bar a day) you can have any packs you want - so all vegetable soup if that's your taste! They can do this by ensuring that all of the packs contain at least 25% (or 33% for 3 a day) of the nutition needed. So when substituting from one diet to another using the same number of packs then you are generally ok but you do need to check the protein/carbs/calories. It is more complicated when looking to substitute between a 3 pack a day and a 4 pack a day diet. Should you have 3 or 4 packs? Do they contain enough vitamins etc? This requires a lot more investigation and consideration.

Could I suggest that all of the arguments for and against mixing could be put together in a well rounded and reasonable post and made into a sticky? Then whenever ese questions come up people could be referred to the sticky?

weasey said:
I'm sorry that you feel that I've been unfair starlight and I appologise if I've upset you in any way. Your passion shines through in every post and I know that you care about people. I think the problem can come when posting on a forum because you can't see gestures or hear the tone of voice and so comments can come across more harshly than they are necessarily meant - which applies to both of us I think.

The reason I refer to 3 pack diets vs 4 pack diets is that all pf the approved VLCDs contain the appropriate nutition in either 3 or 4 packs. Apart from a few exceptions (such as only one bar a day) you can have any packs you want - so all vegetable soup if that's your taste! They can do this by ensuring that all of the packs contain at least 25% (or 33% for 3 a day) of the nutition needed. So when substituting from one diet to another using the same number of packs then you are generally ok but you do need to check the protein/carbs/calories. It is more complicated when looking to substitute between a 3 pack a day and a 4 pack a day diet. Should you have 3 or 4 packs? Do they contain enough vitamins etc? This requires a lot more investigation and consideration.

Could I suggest that all of the arguments for and against mixing could be put together in a well rounded and reasonable post and made into a sticky? Then whenever ese questions come up people could be referred to the sticky?

Weasey you haven't upset me at all please DON'T think that :)

Your posts are always more than reasonable, even if we don't always totally agree ;)

I think a sticky thread is a brilliant idea!!! And I'm going to suggest that to Pierce as something to be considered.

I think that now Exante have retracted what they said about replacing other bars, this should be what we say to others now too! The advice you received from one Exante employee has now been retracted. Maybe it isnt because they want us to buy there bars, maybe its because mixing them with meal replacement bars, instead of total meal replacement bars is not what we should be doing for our health.

Lipotrim have said you cant do this for this very reason with the Tesco meal replacement bars.

Saying people can have the Tesco meal replacement bars, but not the shakes, sends out a confusing message.

What if it wasnt for that reason though? What if it was an employee getting it wrong? Maybe ask Exante for an official reply, like Mini did with Lipotrim?

After checking with S&S 4 packs a day doesn't automatically cover your rda unless you add veg. It's a French product & meets their rda but not the UK rda. For example, the spaghetti bolognese only has 19% of one vitamin per meal. Most of the other vlcds seem to have 33%.

im doing s and s but due to finances ive now purchased biggest loser bars and slimmm shakes from approved foods site so will be mixing ad matching

im not too concerned about nutrition , i reckon mine is better than it was when i was eating crap anyway

so ill prob have each day

s and s porridge

slimmm shake

s and s meal with veg

biggest loser bar

Slimm shakes aren't VLCD or TFR so first problem is you'll be out of ketosis. The BL snack bars aren't a Suitable replacement either. You might not be worried about nutrients but your body will. The combination you're going to do is really not a good idea. Mixing full Vlcds is one thing but this is going to just be shockingly low calories. You could make yourself ill or end up gaining weight

Back