Anyone not got a telly/got rid of theirs?

AmandaJayne

Trainee Maintainer
OK who has taken the plunge and got rid of the telly in their house, permanently?

If you have, what (unexpected) benefits have you found, for taking this step?

Do you regret it?

I am uncomfortably aware that our telly dominates our life and we just crash out on the sofa at the end of the day, and watch whatever is on. I cannot imagine life without this huge grey beast.

There must be at least one Minimins member who has a story about getting rid of their telly. Come on, tell us all about it!

LOL, I got the wrong idea of your post - thought you were looking to buy one, LOL!!

You are so right...my life was enlightened when I gave up soap operas...but I couldn't get rid of them properly. Sometimes the only way to switch off.

But...if anyone wants to buy a 42" Sony telly PM me, LOL, I am actually selling one

I haven't had a TV in eight years. I certainly don't regret it!

I'm quite a busy person (I run 2 companies, my fiance runs a third and I help a bit with that, plus my Cambridge and about 20 hours at the gym per week) so a television would only be a massive distraction.

If I visit someone and their TV is on, everyone in the room including me is glued to it. Who needs conversation, huh?

I don't miss it.

Oh please Lottie, I can't handle any more tellies!

Perhaps I should 'ration' our telly use to one hour a day, or something. That would be a start, wouldn't it. It would really concentrate the mind.

Hmm, I'll watch 10mins of BB, ten of Corry, ten of CSI, ten minutes of the news, ten of Trinny and Susanna, and the final ten I'll spend with House!

Obviously, it will have to be the final ten minutes of all of them otherwise I will get frustrated! Hehehe

We have a sort of compromise.
All we have is a 14" portable in the sitting room.

You have to actually want to watch something to make it worth the effort, & when it's off it's smal enough & in the corner,not to be too noticeable.
Also we don't have satelite or cable & channel 5 has a constant blizzard,so channel hopping isn't even a possibility.

Can't see us getting rid of it altogether for 2 reaasons
1) try to get the kids to watch the early evenng news.(How else can they learn about current affairs,as they refuse to listen to Radio4)
2)Kids would be on to the NSPCC claiming neglect if we had no telly.

Interesting thread this, personally I would love to dump our numerous tellys. I do watch quite a lot but would give up all my viewing in a flash, no problem. Reckon I just watch out of habit although I'm pretty selective.

T.V dominates our household, sad but true. Reckon if I dumped the tellys I'd find myself single and childless:sigh:

I couldn't live without my tellies. Sorry, but I've always gone to sleep with it on - can't sleep without background noise lol - it's a childhood thing.

I think tv is great - esp phor kids - have you seen the Discovery Kids channel? They learn more phrom that than they do in school! lol (And I'm an ex-teacher lol). And you can always switch it ophph iph you want to do something else.

We have 4 tellies in our house and, trust me, we still have more conversations than I can handle lol!

xxxxxxx

Lovely post Isobel, but what's happened to your 'F' key?
Has it phallen oph? or is this a religious observance?

I really hate the tv being on constantly...so much so that I have gone and bought a small one for my daughter to have in her room....might sound bad, but it wil be up on the wall & the remote belongs to me so she can only watch it when I say....I hate walking into my sitting room to sit down and relax & hearing the stupid tv on....drives me bluddy mental

LOL. She has mislaid her F on the laptop. I am having trouble with my Ps and Bs which only seem to work if I use a hammer. I was wondering if I lent Issy some fs, she might kindly donate some ps and bs?

Here you go Issy
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I think the TV is a fabulous invention, but would be better if it was mechanically powered by a treadmill.

Sure obesity wouldn't be a problem then;)

someone did that. It was quite a long time ago but If my memory serves he had it powered by bicycle.

you're puling my leg about the F key aren't you?

you're puling my leg about the F key aren't you?

No she's lost her eff's!!! Look on her diary thread - it is sooo funny - or should that be phunny??!! It's like reading something from someone with a lisp!! Or Life of Brian - but not the "r's"!!

LOL - my desktop is knackered and my laptop has no...erm what you said! lol The letter between d and g is no more, hence the stupid spellings!

xxxxx

LOL. She has mislaid her F on the laptop. I am having trouble with my Ps and Bs which only seem to work if I use a hammer. I was wondering if I lent Issy some fs, she might kindly donate some ps and bs?

Here you go Issy
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

No she's lost her eff's!!! Look on her diary thread - it is sooo funny - or should that be phunny??!! It's like reading something from someone with a lisp!! Or Life of Brian - but not the "r's"!!

LMTO - thank you, ladies!!! Think I might start a trend hehe!

xxxx

I find myself smiling every time I see one of Isobel's posts. (Don't you dare buy yourself a new keyboard!)

I have a TV. My TV has an on and an off switch. Funny that! I hate visiting people who just leave it on "driftavision" mode, so that you can't have a conversation.

Since we're on a diet board, albeit perhaps a "non food" one but I can't see, it always annoys me when people say that they don't have the time to prepare fresh healthy food... then you hear them talking about whatever they saw on TV the previous night. Choices. We all have them!

Being without a TV wouldn't be good per se, but I like to choose which programmes to watch, and turn it off when they're over!

I find myself smiling every time I see one of Isobel's posts. (Don't you dare buy yourself a new keyboard!)

LOL!!! Think I'll keep on doing the ph thing even when my desktop pc is phixed - I rather like it too! LMTO!!!!

I have a TV. My TV has an on and an off switch. Funny that! I hate visiting people who just leave it on "driftavision" mode, so that you can't have a conversation.

OOOH That is the HEIGHT oph rudeness, isn't it!!

Since we're on a diet board, albeit perhaps a "non food" one but I can't see, it always annoys me when people say that they don't have the time to prepare fresh healthy food... then you hear them talking about whatever they saw on TV the previous night. Choices. We all have them!

Good point! Perhaps we dieters/maintainers should also switch ophph en masse when any phood advert comes on - that'll teach the beggars not to tempt us! lol

Being without a TV wouldn't be good per se, but I like to choose which programmes to watch, and turn it off when they're over!

Ah - I keep mine on all the time (except when I've got company!!! lol).

xxxxx

Ah the all elusive Off (Ophph to Isobel) Switch.

Well said that woman.
So do you think controlling the Telly Off switch should be taught as a module for GCSE?

You must be grieving for all the little F's that might have been.

Years ago my then SIL got rid of theirs, her kids were in primary school, so to begin with they found it hard, but like kids do got used to it, mind you this was before satellite and 1001 channels. For ages SIL said what an improvement it made to their lives and they all spent more time doing family things together, but come Christmas she relented and they bought a new one, for the kids she said, but I wondered!

We're quite selective, we Sky+ everything we want to watch and then sit down and watch it when it suits us - trouble is I'm always a few days behind everyone else. I gave up on the soaps a few years ago as they're just on too often and felt they were taking over my life.

My daughter's not too bad for her age, she has a telly in her room, which she never watches (it's too small she complains) and although she does sit for ages - if allowed - in front of the telly she does make some good choices and as well as the kids cartoon channels, she loves Discovery and Animal Planet - so it's not all bad.

I am reading a book called the No Diet Diet and the very first task was to not watch TV for a whole day.

Had palpitations as my hand hovered over the remote at 6am when the alarm went off, but that was 2 weeks ago and I have certainly reduced the number of hours I watch and done more useful things instead.

Like you Isobel I use it for company - on as soon as I wake up and in sleep mode to go to sleep, so it was hard. I now put on my earphones and listen to music instead. Has the added benefit that whenever a good song comes on I get up and boogie!

Back