Are we eating too little now?

Your right... I'm doing the weekly shop on asda. If I post an image on here could people tell me what I shouldn't be buying? I'm looking at the cals and it all seems ok.

Would it be naughty if I get a small portion of chips and a mini cod from the chippy? I've not had fish and chips in months and want some :(. I missed breakfast this morning aswell.

Depends. Do you want to lose weight?

It really is that simple. There's no "naughty" or "good" about it. Labelling things as "naughty" only makes them more appealing - we're drawn toward misbehaving in little ways (well, the English are, anyway). If you view things as "naughty" then sooner or later you'll cave into them.

Instead, think "Will a small cod and chips help me lose weight?"

The answer, of course, is no. So why bother eating it?

Hi Scott

I hope you are over your urge now. I think, like someone said, save the chippy until you have hit a good target set by yourself.

Also stick to what you said, weigh in on Tuesday mornings and ignore any other weights the Wii fit may tell you.

Hospital is nothing bad, I have had joint problems for years, and my weight does not help. After my last appointment they did a blood test and they said some levels were raised, (I can't remember what levels they were.) They sent me a letter asking me to get another blood test before my next appointment, which is this Friday so that was why I was there so when I see the doctor he will be looking at recent results instead of the ones from a few months ago.

Regarding your shopping I know on my diet I have to avoid certain fruits, maybe you should check out which ones are not the best to have whilst you are losing. Surprisingly I am allowed strawberries and blackberries, two of my favourites!

Hope it all goes well for you. I want to appologize if I annoyed anyone lately. I've just got lots of oranges, apples and red grapes. Urge has gone. I'm not eating a lot. I've been on a few sites and everyone says with NO exercise I should eat 1800 or more to lose weight or 3120 to maintain. I'm having 1400 max.

No way have you annoyed any1 we all have a moan and want things we cant have. ;)

I really think you need to eat your calorise or atleast close enough.

Good luck keep up the good work

Hi

I agree you have not annoyed anyone. You are writing what you want to which is what we are all doing, so please carry on and enjoy the site and don't feel you have to worry about what you write. That is what I like so much about being on here, I can be honest and not have to worry about it coming back to me.

I am more honest about my weight issues and the way I feel beacuse of my weight on here than I am with my hubby, even my mum who I am very close to. Nobody knows my start weight and I don't know if I will ever tell them or not even when I reach target!

Going back to what you said about not exercising, I know you are calorie counting so it is different to my diet, but I do not need to execise to lose weight. That was one of the reasons that made me consider Go Lower in the first place.

I believe grapes have a lot of natural sugar, so do check if they have a lot of calories. The other fruit I don't know about because I am too lazy to find out......... I think in my last post to you I mentioned I am eating various berries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries etc because they are the fruit that go with my diet.

Keep posting and we are all here to support you.

I'm not eating a lot. I've been on a few sites and everyone says with NO exercise I should eat 1800 or more to lose weight or 3120 to maintain. I'm having 1400 max.
So eat 1800 or more! Make it healthy nutritious food and you have the benefit of eating plenty while keeping your body in good condition while you lose the excess? If you're having problems 'bumping' your cals, or eating enough- try snacking on things like nuts or cheese- high (good) fats that are higher cal but still 'healthy' foods? Or an extra few pieces of fruit. Or adding a larger portion of meat/fish to your meals. You'd be surprised how easy it is to add a few 100cals to a daily diet?
Why 'starve' yourself when there really is no need? By eating less than your body requires you run the risk of stalling your losses as your body holds onto everything it eats, then you'll lose motivation and be back at square one?
Good luck!

Oh- and like everyone else has said- you've annoyed no-one! We're all in the same boat remember!

Hi Scott,
I only joined this forum a few days ago and love all the support people give each other...
Like SuzyK, I'm also on the GoLower diet. Only been doing it for nearly 2 weeks now and feel great. Have weigh-in tomorrow, so fingers crossed...lost 5lbs in my first week!
I have in the past done calorie counting under my GP's guidance. He told me that I was allowed to eat 1800 calories and do an 1hr excersise a day. The less I excercised the less calories (food) I was allowed. I was also allowed to eat anything I wanted, chocolate, fruit, crisps, veg, anything, as long as I didn't go over my 1800 calories. I personally found this quite hard, and spent most of my time googling "how many calories are there in....". In the end I only lost a few pounds..
Hope all goes well with you..and that your new scales give you the readings you are after.
xx

Hi Scott,

Like others have said, if you should have 1800 cals a week then have them. You will still lose weight and when you reach a plateau (stop losing temporarily) you can kick-start it by dropping by 100 cals.

Do you know exactly what calories you are eating? I know you said you write it all in a book, but do you weigh and measure every single thing that goes in your mouth?

As for offending anyone, how could you have?

To be honest, this is the only forum I ever go on regularly and that's because everyone is so friendly and you don't have the usual sniping that goes on in some forums.

Tracey

Thanks for all the support and nice comments :)

We do weigh everything and I mean everything. I had a bit more than I was supposed to yesterday. I had 1555Kcal. It's a bit difficult to know what to eat and whatnot as I have never dieted before.

The 1800Kcal that I have been "told" to eat is from myfitnesspal (guided goal) and even the similar mytools from Alli's site says the same. Although, Alli tells the better half to eat 1800Kcal too, shes (obviously) female and females usually eat less then males.

I've found a yummy snack which adds 200 cals but isnt too much and also counts as a portion of fruit :)

125g apple with skin on with 25g natural crunchy peanut butter (ie, no sugar or added anything just all natural peanuts) 200calories! the peanuts are full of good fats and by the time you've spread the butter onto slices of apple and eat it, you'll satisfy a need and bump your cals up without realising it.

Also, dairylea do little pots of dipping cheese for 50cals with carrot making up to 50cals then you've got yourself a tasty snack that adds up to 100cals AND counts as a portion of veg :D

I get really excited when I find light healthy snacks... sorry, might not help you at all!

When I've done calorie counting in the past, I spent alot of my time at first on the net googling the amount of calories in all types of food. Within a week I knew roughly what I could and couldn't eat and how much of something I could eat. It does take time. I used to keep a database of all the foods that I was eating with all the calories and then within a few weeks I was able to go out for lunch at friends houses and know what I could and couldn't have without having to weigh everything because I knew how many calories there would be in a tuna sandwich for example so would be able to add that in to my days calories. The most important thing I found and it takes time and can be very tedious is keep a note of EVERYTHING you eat with the calories everyday so you know what you are doing. You can then compare this over the weeks to see which week was a good weight loss week and which wasn't, that way you know what your body likes and dislikes. Sorry for the waffle, not sure how to say this simply...
Keep going...
xx

Hi hchappyh, another Go Lower dieter.... there are a few of us on here.

Scott, I can't comment on the calorie counting because it is not something I have ever been able to get my head round. Too much hard work again for me.

Gosh I sound really lazy don't I? Honest I am not that bad I just am so busy with kids, hubby and work etc I do tend to go for the easy option where I can.

I calorie count and like hchappyh, I know what weights of foods I have to have for certain meals. An average day for me would be;

1oz any cerial and 4oz banana (weighed with skin).
2oz lean meat or tuna on 2 slices bread (spread thinly with diet mayo) with salad.
4oz chicken or 3oz other meat (no fat at all) 5oz potatos, cauli, carrots and brocoli.
2 diet yogourts.
1 apple or 8oz strawberries.
200 calories for treats.

I eat 1200 cals a day so you could eat more than this. If you work out the calories of meals you like to eat you can write it down for another day.

Tracey

Hi to you too SuzyK....don't feel lazy, calorie couting is not for everyone, I struggled with it hence why I now do Go Lower - its easier as everything is already there for you.

However, when it comes to calorie counting you really do need to be very precise. It just takes time and I guess you have the patience (something I have very little off as my hubby would say!)

Keep trying Scottc2105 and remain positive as it does get easier.
xx

Hello! My loyal subjec... Wrong forum, oops.

Your right, that sucked. Sorry I haven't been around lately. I've been looking at this Go Lower etc and it looks expensive but then I thought - would I need to shop at ASDA too?

I'm a fussy eater, can you pick what you want or is it "eat it - or leave it"?

EDIT: Scrap that. Almost £8 a DAY. I thought that was a week!

Last edited:
Hi Scott

I am very fussy and I mainly eat chicken and Go Lower have lots of chicken options, but you can go through with them what you like and don't like and they will send you the meals you want.

I do still buy some bits, natural yogurt to have with the Go Lower breakfast and berry fruits to add into the yogurt, or I may save the fruit for my evening dessert. Sometimes we buy chicken so I can have something to snack on if I want a change and also I can eat hard boiled eggs, but our 4 chickens supply those so I don't have to buy them.

I think that is it for my weekly shop...... hubby, who does the shopping says he is not spending nearly as much as before, because he had to buy for the kids, himself and then me as I would rarely eat what he was having.

I also am not spending a small fortune myself everyday on lunch at work and all the other rubbish I used to eat.

Go Lower supply snacks, even chocolate coated brazil nuts and raspberries. I was never a big fan of raspberries but coated in chocolate.... WOW a total blast to the taste buds!

Any questions please ask me and I will try to help, or even give them a call. They are really helpful and I have to say for me the diet is working wonders.

I'm eating 1500 cals now and doing NO exercise except the normal daily stuff. I've been naughty and had a couple of sqs of chocolate I bought and had some Ice-cream.

I don't wanna "jump ahead" but I couldn't help but weigh myself this morning and my weight this morning was 19st 9lb and if it's the same tomorrow morning (my weigh-in day) I will of lost 5lbs this week (10lb in 3 weeks [start date]) :eek::D Fingers crossed, will let you know! I know I have lost some as my clothes are very lose so I'm sticking at it!

Back