Are we eating too little now?

Hey Scott,

My OH loves me in pink which I guess is a good thing since I like it too. In fact my daughter's bedroom is in a very pale, near white pink, with darker pink and lilac in it also. It's beautiful! All with matching furniture. She also loves pink.

My weigh loss is going really well thanks. Weigh-in tomorrow, but am feeling quietly confident.

Good luck with and you too Suzy - you are doing great too.

xx

If you want to lose weight, then you simply have to burn more calories then you consume. The most common option is of course to cut your calories. But cutting your calories too low is counter-productive. The danger is lean tissue loss, slower metabolism, extreme hunger, and greater chance of weight re-gain. It is important not to eat too much or too little. It could well be that you are losing muscle along with fat and that is not good. :flirt2:

That is worrying... how can you tell?

Glad you like you other half in pink Scott it is a lovely colour.

I must admit for years I never wore anything pink but as I am getting older I think I must want to be more girly.

I can't help with the muscle /fat loss as I know nothing about it.

Happy good luck with your weigh in, I am sure you will have beaten your friend again. Maybe this is the week you can convince her to try Go Lower!

That is worrying... how can you tell?
If you're eating more than your BMR then you're fine Scott. It's only when people crash-diet or cut their calories to ridiculously low intakes that damage can occur. As long as you're eating well (including lots of muscle-protecting protein) then it'll be okay.:)

Hi Irishmum

great to see you are still on here. How are you?

I knew somebody would be able to help Scott with his concerns but I know nothing about that sort of thing.

Scott

Has that put your mind at rest now?

LOL! I'm no 'expert' as such, but I've become an expert at what not to do by this stage!:p
Still lurking SuzyK...;)

Irish mum

You are an expert in my eyes as you have taken the time to learn about what is good and what is not.

Me, I just stick to the diet and get on with it. If only I spent as much time actually learing about my diet as I do on here!

Irish Mum, I think you are an expert. As Suzy says you've taken the time to understand what it is you are doing to your body and then helping others with your knew learned knowledge. Thank you. I know I don't need to know about it all with Go Lower, as I do what they say and that's it, but it is interesting to hear (or read) what you say.

xx

If you're eating more than your BMR then you're fine Scott. It's only when people crash-diet or cut their calories to ridiculously low intakes that damage can occur. As long as you're eating well (including lots of muscle-protecting protein) then it'll be okay.:)

BMR at current weight = 2438. I'm eating 1500 a day.

hi scott, you're the same weight as me!! wanna support each other like the twins thing? my plan is to lose 1-2 lbs a week now max cos i just really love food and tryin not to shock my system too much. i did starve myself twice before (1500 cals and loads of exercise) and lost loads of weight but yep unfortunately it did go back on even worse.

18 stone before and lost it for a girl:) came down to 13 stone and even fitted into size 34 jeans wow! then it didn't work out so i went up again to 20 stone - lost that for a french girl and came down to 14 stone and again 34 jeans, then was like that for 5-6 years but last 2 years i put on 5 stone!! so again 19 stone or thereabouts - such a rollercoaster. all in the space of bout 10 years. just trying to highligh how dieting affected me - not saying everyone is the same i know they're not. but thats why i think now its important to reduce the stress dieting has on the body - try to keep it as normal as possible

it seems though that you are losing weight slowly enough (good thing!) but yet your calories are so low compared to your bmr? i'm aiming at 1800 calories a day whether that is with exercise or not i don't mind. like i can eat 2400 and still have 1800 with an hour on the bike?

p.s. keep it at 2lbs a week and i don't think you'll be eating away at muscle or anything:)

BMR at current weight = 2438. I'm eating 1500 a day.
Seriously? Thats the general recommended amount for a slightly overweight woman to eat while trying to lose weight? :confused:
I'm sorry, I didn't take a look at your stats before, but for your size and what you're eating you would think you should be losing a LOT more than you are (I'm not belittling your losses at all by the way- any loss is a small battle won!) but for a person who has quite a substantial amount to lose- you 'should' be losing more- especially at the beginning.
My fear is that your body is already going into starvation mode and your losses are 'smaller' than expected because your body is reacting to thinking it's being 'starved'? Have you been eating this amount since the beginning of your journey?

Seriously? Thats the general recommended amount for a slightly overweight woman to eat while trying to lose weight? :confused:
I'm sorry, I didn't take a look at your stats before, but for your size and what you're eating you would think you should be losing a LOT more than you are (I'm not belittling your losses at all by the way- any loss is a small battle won!) but for a person who has quite a substantial amount to lose- you 'should' be losing more- especially at the beginning.
My fear is that your body is already going into starvation mode and your losses are 'smaller' than expected because your body is reacting to thinking it's being 'starved'? Have you been eating this amount since the beginning of your journey?

Actually my BMR is 2742 (no exercise) 3047 (with). I calculated it wrong. I'm struggling to eat 1500 a day. I end up having 1200 and eating nothing but "junk". I seem to lose 4-5lb at the beginning of the month and 1-3lb for the rest of it. I have no idea how to tell if I'm eating too little. I am concerned now though.

BREADBIN: Hey :D We could be if you want! Keep in mind I've never done any of this before...

I'm struggling to eat 1500 a day. I end up having 1200 and eating nothing but "junk".
That concerns me a little too? A sign that your metabolism has slowed down is a lack of appetite. It's the body's way of proetecting itself- your system sends signals to your brain saying theres a 'famine' going on, and not to send out 'hunger' signals? Google it & read up a little.
Try to plan your meals & snacks ahead of time to ensure you're getting enough nutrients and don't reach for the rubbish when you think you 'need' food- better still, don't have it in the house at all, then you can't reach for it!;) If you find your intake is still too low, have a larger portion of protein (muscle-protection) to boost your meals. Or have a high-cal 'good' snack like unsalted nuts there at hand.
I don't mean to scare you, and you've done so well to stay motivated this long! I'm just a little worried it'll backfire if you carry on like this?

Scott, I have no idea how any of this works....so I'm sorry I can't really help. I would take Irishmum's advice, and then when yiou get to see you GP (have you heard from them yet?) you can then go through with them what is the best way forward...Maybe they'll be able to refer you to a dietician?!

Good luck and keep motivated because, no matter how little you are loosing, you are still LOOSING!
xx

Scott, I have no idea how any of this works....so I'm sorry I can't really help. I would take Irishmum's advice, and then when yiou get to see you GP (have you heard from them yet?) you can then go through with them what is the best way forward...Maybe they'll be able to refer you to a dietician?!

Good luck and keep motivated because, no matter how little you are loosing, you are still LOOSING!
xx

I've not posted back the registration forms yet. Not felt upto it. I'm trying to eat a little more for tea and see how I go.

Hi Scott,

do you want me to nag???? why haven't you got your forms in the post yet? You know once you have got them posted you can see the doctor and get on with sorting things out. You need to do this for you and your partner!

Good luck and please get them posted.

Hi Scott,

do you want me to nag???? why haven't you got your forms in the post yet? You know once you have got them posted you can see the doctor and get on with sorting things out. You need to do this for you and your partner!

Good luck and please get them posted.

I'm going to try and post them wednesday. It isn't easy for me to get out and the post box is 10 mins away which is hard for me.

I used to see a CPN at my previous home until the CPN had to have an OP and couldn't see me anymore. I'll have to ask the Surgery if they can let me see one.

Scott, I don't mean to nag either...BUT, you must get those forms to the GP posted. Can't you get your OH to post them for you? She doesn't need to know what it's about, just that you need to join a surgery and have a GP....you really must get this sorted..

On another note, your weight loss is amazing and you must be feeling so much better and so very proud of yourself..keep up the good work and keep loosing.

xx

Hi Scott,

you know I am only nagging you for the right reasons. I know you find it hard but you need to think 10 minutes is only one minute X 10. You can do it!!!

I will be thinking of you tomorrow as I know you will make it to the post box because I believe you can!

I don't know what a CPN is? Sorry me being ignorant again! Have you asked the surgery already if they have one they can connect you with?

As Happy says you are doing great with your weight loss so you will probably find you get to the post box even quicker.

I was having a bad time last week as I thought I was out of a job but yesterday my boss changed his mind and I have another few months. I am so proud of myself that I didn't start eating rubbish stuff as before being on Go Lower I would have stressed out and eaten lots of chocolate etc. I am giving myself a pat on the back for being so good.

Hi Scott,

you know I am only nagging you for the right reasons. I know you find it hard but you need to think 10 minutes is only one minute X 10. You can do it!!!

I will be thinking of you tomorrow as I know you will make it to the post box because I believe you can!

I don't know what a CPN is? Sorry me being ignorant again! Have you asked the surgery already if they have one they can connect you with?

As Happy says you are doing great with your weight loss so you will probably find you get to the post box even quicker.

I was having a bad time last week as I thought I was out of a job but yesterday my boss changed his mind and I have another few months. I am so proud of myself that I didn't start eating rubbish stuff as before being on Go Lower I would have stressed out and eaten lots of chocolate etc. I am giving myself a pat on the back for being so good.

Well done for not eating crap! I lost nothing this week. I started eating more kcals but it hasn't worked. I'm back to 1500/1550.

The GP said they would put me in touch with one but they don't have none in the Surgery.

I plan to go to the post box today... Will let you know.

Back