August starters!

Hi all - I started today. Porridge ok, but a bit runny. Vanilla and chocolate during the day, ok. Shep pie this evening - uneatable! Couldn't bear the smell to start with but did try to eat it - couldn't manage it. Absolutely disgusting. I've had a peanut bar instead and that's nice. First thing I've had all day that I can say that about. Now I'm panicking. How will I do this if I can't bear the taste of the food? Help!

This is your first day - don't panic!

There's quite a few different foods you haven't tried yet. I also can't stomach the shepherd's pie or the chilli con carne, but thankfully they're not my only options.

I jazz up the porridge by measuring the minimum amount of boiled water, crushing some tablet sweeteners into it and then letting it stand for 5-10 minutes. This plumps up the 'oats' - then I microwave for two minutes instead of one which also helps thicken it. You need to keep an eye on it if you do this thought as it can make it bubble over the bowl rim! I find doing all this makes the porridge pretty similar to "normal" porridge!

Remember that you can add tabasco, salt and pepper to savoury foods to alter the taste - you can also mix half a pack with another half pack to create something new. Also bear in mind that you're not exactly meant to LIKE this food. The whole idea is we're being weaned off an addiction, so it's not meant to be super tasty, just edible! :)

That said I love the cranberry and raspberry yoghurt bars, personally. Did you get any of those this week?

Now into week 2 - day 10.

Have lost a stone in these 2 weeks, although this is by my scales as could not make weigh in on Monday but firm numbers will come this Monday.

Wearing loads of clothes that I could not get into 2 weeks back, face and bun much smaller!

Brilliant plan to follow, no hunger at all!

Hope everyone is well xxx

oops wrong thread!

Thanks for the advice both. It's definitely helped me to calm down. I had a really bad migraine last night so that didn't help. I went to bed early and slept until 8.30 this morning so I'm feeling better now. Had the vanilla for breakfast and added ice before blending with my Bamix - much better. I will definitely try all the suggestions - but I won't be eating that Shepherds Pie again! Honestly Pandorasinbox, it wasn't even close to being edible. I only got peanut bars this week and was only allowed 4 as it's my first week. I will keep going. I guess I just got a little spooked. My head hurt, I was hungry then found it impossible to eat the pack and there's a small part of me that is still worried about the health implications. But today is another day. Here's to a lovely, successful Saturday!

TheRealMe,
I remember those feelings exactly, the first time around I found the soups ghastly and I couldn't believe that I allowed myself to get to the state where this was now necessary. I felt angry and panicky. But...as the days went by, and the weight fell off, I found my favourites and stuck with them, and the journey became quite tolerable. So, you will find a way to make it work for you, promise. And the cranberry bars are nice, if very sweet.

Thanks for the advice both. It's definitely helped me to calm down. I had a really bad migraine last night so that didn't help. I went to bed early and slept until 8.30 this morning so I'm feeling better now. Had the vanilla for breakfast and added ice before blending with my Bamix - much better. I will definitely try all the suggestions - but I won't be eating that Shepherds Pie again! Honestly Pandorasinbox, it wasn't even close to being edible. I only got peanut bars this week and was only allowed 4 as it's my first week. I will keep going. I guess I just got a little spooked. My head hurt, I was hungry then found it impossible to eat the pack and there's a small part of me that is still worried about the health implications. But today is another day. Here's to a lovely, successful Saturday!

I'm with you on that, hon. Like I said, I can't stomach the Shepherd's Pie either. I stick to the soups. :)

I wouldn't become too dependant on the bars - I hear that as they have a higher carb content than the soups/meals/porridge they can actually slow down your weight loss a wee bit. Maybe focus on the porridge/soups in the first few weeks until you're seeing results.

Also, didn't you say you're only on day 2? You shouldn't be eating the bars at all until day 4.

It's funny how everyone seems to like different things. I can't stomach the minestrone soup/choc shake but just tried shepherds pie with added pepper and enjoyed it! Had vanilla shake earlier too with hot water, spoon of coffee and 2 sweetener wizzed in blender was like a sweet frothy latte. Yum! Stomach seems ok so far so thinking was water flavour. Feeling much better and more positive today! Yey! Can't wait to post my loss on here after wi wednesday, this forum has been invaluable support so far! X x

I just discovered that too much of the Sunrise Orange has that runny tummy effect on me. For 3 weeks I had used the Fruits of Forest in my water and didn't have this result. Good to know though so I don't have to keep taking a Senokot or Ducolax once a week.lol

I'm with you on that, hon. Like I said, I can't stomach the Shepherd's Pie either. I stick to the soups. :)

I wouldn't become too dependant on the bars - I hear that as they have a higher carb content than the soups/meals/porridge they can actually slow down your weight loss a wee bit. Maybe focus on the porridge/soups in the first few weeks until you're seeing results.

Also, didn't you say you're only on day 2? You shouldn't be eating the bars at all until day 4.

Arrgghhh! She didn't tell me that about the bars! Just had the chilli and that was fine. Will hopefully be able to swap the shep pies for soup when I go to group on Tuesday. I'm a bit nervous about the group but the locum said they were a lovely group. I'm a bit confused about how much I have to pay - do you have to pay more on top of buying packs?

Nope, the group is free if you buy the packs. :)

This is your first day - don't panic!

There's quite a few different foods you haven't tried yet. I also can't stomach the shepherd's pie or the chilli con carne, but thankfully they're not my only options.

I jazz up the porridge by measuring the minimum amount of boiled water, crushing some tablet sweeteners into it and then letting it stand for 5-10 minutes. This plumps up the 'oats' - then I microwave for two minutes instead of one which also helps thicken it. You need to keep an eye on it if you do this thought as it can make it bubble over the bowl rim! I find doing all this makes the porridge pretty similar to "normal" porridge!

Remember that you can add tabasco, salt and pepper to savoury foods to alter the taste - you can also mix half a pack with another half pack to create something new. Also bear in mind that you're not exactly meant to LIKE this food. The whole idea is we're being weaned off an addiction, so it's not meant to be super tasty, just edible! :)

That said I love the cranberry and raspberry yoghurt bars, personally. Did you get any of those this week?

Just tried the porridge like this - MUCH better. Many thanks Pandora. I've been on Minimins since 2008 and loved it from the start - but it has never been so valuable as it is right now. All of you here are a true lifeline, without you I really don't think I'd have got through even two days! Big hugs and massive thanks to all who take the time to share. xxxxx

And Phew about the groups being free. Bank a bit tight as it is - I was wondering what else I could do without if there was a charge.

Unhappily I had a blip yesterday, I had food leftover from guests and ate some chicken (lots) and salad, some cheese, crisps, and a small amount of bread. Goodness knows why, I just stopped thinking straight. I'm out of ketosis. So it's day 1 again, kind of, I need to think one day at a time and do one perfect day after another, so far so good. Sigh!

Unhappily I had a blip yesterday, I had food leftover from guests and ate some chicken (lots) and salad, some cheese, crisps, and a small amount of bread. Goodness knows why, I just stopped thinking straight. I'm out of ketosis. So it's day 1 again, kind of, I need to think one day at a time and do one perfect day after another, so far so good. Sigh!

I ate on Saturday, only steak and salad but I did also have a diet coke, think I too am out as pee stick had no change today, although did not check first thing this morning so might be just diluted? (wishful thinking?).

Oh well, on we go xx

Oh guys - big hugs. I think anyone who does this whilst still being around or having to provide food for others is amazing. I'm widowed and my children are both grown up and have left home so I just don't have any food in the house. There is stuff in the freezer and some cans, but nothing else. And I am still finding it tough! I simply cannot imagine how much strength it takes to face food on a daily basis and say no! I totally appreciate how disappointed you must feel - the thought of getting back into ketosis must be daunting - but you mustn't beat yourselves up. If it was a friend, you would be supportive, kind and understanding. And you deserve to treat yourself at least that well. Good luck. We are all thinking that "for the Grace of God......" and urging you on! xxxx

thank you for you lovely post! It is indeed a struggle getting back into ketosis, am not there yet, my stick is resolutely beige. hey ho! i suppose what's important is that i'm back on track, which I am. I don't have scales at home so I don't know how I've done, I have my weigh in tomorrow so I'll find out then whether i've put my weight loss into reverse gear. Let's hope not! KOKO!

thank you for you lovely post! It is indeed a struggle getting back into ketosis, am not there yet, my stick is resolutely beige. hey ho! i suppose what's important is that i'm back on track, which I am. I don't have scales at home so I don't know how I've done, I have my weigh in tomorrow so I'll find out then whether i've put my weight loss into reverse gear. Let's hope not! KOKO!

sending you loads of good luck vibes for weigh in, hope you are doing ok? xx

thanks! Yes, am doing ok, the urge to eat has subsided and I'm back browsing clothes websites, planning how great I'm going to look in a few weeks...
Though am also concentrating on one day at a time so I don't get ahead of myself, think maybe i got complacent after my first 2 good weeks. Will report back tomorrow.
Well done on your losses too!

thanks! Yes, am doing ok, the urge to eat has subsided and I'm back browsing clothes websites, planning how great I'm going to look in a few weeks...
Though am also concentrating on one day at a time so I don't get ahead of myself, think maybe i got complacent after my first 2 good weeks. Will report back tomorrow.
Well done on your losses too!

Yes I agree as also think I got complacent, I really think there will be certain times most of us will go through different thoughts/feelings and that week 2 is one of those!

I am off today so might go browsing to look at things I want to buy when I am into a 12!

XX

Lost another 3lbs so that's a stone now. Am really pleased, and am looking forward to another good week. I intend more gym visits this week to try to stave off any plateau-ing.
Happy!

Am still plugging away here, lost 3lbs last week, so that's 17 in 4 weeks. I'm very pleased with how much I've lost. I'm trying to go to the gym regularly though sometimes I fail and spend the evening on the sofa. I like the new me that's emerging, cheekbones, hip bones and ribs poking their way through the flab, and am starting to get obsessive about clothes...my class has also had a new set of returnees and I'm looking forward to hearing their stories. So all good really! I can see Pandora and Loopylorns are going well in their diaries, well done! Anyone else? The Real Me? Joanne? KOKO everyone.

Back