Barb's Fabulous Food Diary!

Debbie, you are so right. :D
For me it is always the forgotten cals; and yes I have said 'oh dieting is pointless, I can't lose weight'. Rubbish of course but what's a bit of self delusion in the great scheme of things?:cry:

It's like yesterday, had I not been food diarying(!), I would probably have had;

Tea and 4 ginger biscs, 6 choc biscs at work (barely noticed as on computer), sandwich and crisps and kitkat. Probably a cake or similar at my Mum's in the afternoon, nibbled whilst getting dinner instead of an apple and crisps noted down, had more wine than I had and a bigger dinner. Quite likely would have opened tonights after dinner mints with the thought of buying more today!!!:(

I would easily have hit 3000 cals!!!!:eek: In reality I think I had approx 1500.:) Yeah I can diet, I can lose weight, but ONLY, if I am organised and controlled. I know that now.

Ok, hardly a restrained weekend but I wrote down everything, good and bad and remain convinced that I ate less because of having to record it. However with a dinner party Saturday and a family lunch at ours on Sunday followed by a take-away Sunday night as I was too knackered to cook, I have undoubtably overdone it.
This is where the great Wednesday weigh in comes in. I now have 2 days before weigh in to be really sensible and ensure I have a reasonable loss. I am sure if i was weighing today I would have nothing to celebrate but by Wednesday I should have.
So on with the food diary and some really healthy choices today. Still feeling totally upbeat about it and confident that I can look forward to a slimmer furture.

I think the Wednesday weigh in is an inspired idea Barb! None of the Monday morning blues after an indulgent weekend :)

I'm sure that with your sensible eating plan, you'll see some movement on the scales - steady but sure.

Thanks Debbie - I hope you are right! Know I overdid it this weekend but then again I alos know that becasue of the diary I did not go as mad as I would have.

Yesterday was good, I recorded everything and didn't over indulge, so feel happier this morning. When I re-read my diary from 2002, it was surprising to see how often I would have 2 or 3 days of over doing it and 3 or 4 days of really being good, which I guess gave the balance that allowed me, slowly, to lose weight.

I am hoping for 3lbs off this week, I feel that is achieve-able and though I will be satisifed with 2, 3 would be nice! Watch this space tomorrow morning!!!!

I'm watching with excited anticipation :)

Thanks debbie!

Hoping today has been a good one for you Barb :)

OK, drumroll please ...... 3.25lbs OFF!!!!!! Very pleased, that in a week when I have had meals out (including last night!) and really had too much wine.

So seriously pleased, feels like a great start to my food diary plan.

Funny really because last night I was feeling all negative, my chatterbox was telling me how useless I am, how I don't stick to anything, how I might as well accept that I would lose nothing this week. In fact he was so convincing that when DH said lets go out for dinner, I just said 'yes' thinking I was on a failure trip anyway. However, I still I have to write everything down, so when my main course turned up and I didn't like it, I left it! Got home, quite hungry, had a few bits of chocolate and went to bed!

So, I will be ignoring my stupid chatterbox from now on, because I have already proved him wrong!

OK, drumroll please ...... 3.25lbs OFF!!!!!!

That is truly fantastic Barb!! Just goes to show, if you find something that has worked for you, then why not stick with it? In this crazy world of losing weight, one size does NOT fit all ... what works for one won't for another and we need to 'try before we buy' to find what we're comfortable with and what works. I'm so pleased that you've rediscovered your 'magic key' and can now settle down and really enjoy the journey.
Well done!!

Thanks Debbie, knew you'd be chuffed. You are so right about the 'magic key' - I don't know why I didn't go for this system straight away, although I suppose the truth is I am always looking for an 'easy option' and Juddd etc.. sounded like it might be it.

I am pleased to have the first week 'under my belt' as I think once you get in a habit/pattern it all gets a little easier. To start with, a new diet is too easy to abandon as you haven't got in the swng and can always 'start again'. I like my food diary, it has given me back the control I so desperately need; it does stop me going too mad but allows me to have a little of everything, as somehow writing down 'small portion' makes almost anything fairly virtuous!!!

Here's to week 2! ( a lot less of the naughty grape juice this week!)

A really good day yesterday, buoyed up by the loss and feeling confident, I just made sensible choices all day. Out for dinner last night and I chose well and stuck with water to drink. Feel a lot happier, really think I have been drinking far too much, thats a slippery slope I do not wish to travel down. Not that i am worried that I am becoming some kind of raving alchy, just that those dead cals really add up on a daily basis, once or twice a week fine, but nearly everyday, not good.

Off food shopping this morning, so will head for the healthy stuff.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Well done on the weight loss Barb, if you are still sticking to 10lbs off by xmas as your first goal then you only have 6.75lbs to go!!!!

Carrie x

Hi Carrie, gosh I hadn't even thought of that!

I went clothes shopping/looking this morning, really depressed me. Then I thought how glad I am that I have started this new regime, if I hadn't I would have been really down!

Flip though, it really is about the clothes, well not all of it obviously, but it is just so soul destroying to have a clothes shop choice of .... ONE!
Still, I am cracking on with it, feel more determined than ever actually, so from feeling the size of a very large house i look forward to becoming a small conservatory or similar!!!

Appreciate where you are now Barb. Just think where you could be if you were ignoring the problem.

Well done on the weight loss Barb, if you are still sticking to 10lbs off by xmas as your first goal then you only have 6.75lbs to go!!!!

Woohooo! Fab point Carrie :clap:

You're doing grand Barb :)

Thanks Karion, trouble is I can't seem to stop giving myself a mental kicking. Lots of negative anti Barb stuff is popping into my head. I hate it; every time I caught a glimpse of my reflection whilst shopping I found myself thinking what a state i am, how fat and disgusting i look, how I deserve to look so revolting because I have no self control, etc... I wish I could shut myself up, but I don't seem able to. It is unusual for me to feel quite so down on myself, but I really do. I feel like starving myself to teach myself a damn good lesson for being such a pig. Thats stupid isn't it. I'm not going to, I just feel like punishing myself.

I have to be sensible, I've got a good plan sorted, I will lose weight steadily and safely and gradually I will feel better about myself. So, how come even whilist i was writing that I could here myself saying, in my best sarcastic voice ' Yeah, right, only heard that about 100 times in the last 5 years'.

Yipes, sorry to be such a misery guts, don't know where its come from.

Going to spend the afternoon sorting out my clothes, so that I can see which clothes I will fit in in the next few weeks. That will be a positve and necessary job done and should make me feel better.

every time I caught a glimpse of my reflection whilst shopping I found myself thinking what a state i am, how fat and disgusting i look, how I deserve to look so revolting because I have no self control, etc...

Stop catching a glimpse of yourself then;)

Look Barb. I'm going to put my mean hat on now. Watch out.

You read my messages, you say all the right answers, but you aren't absorbing it. You're not taking it in. You have got to stop beating yourself up for your choices in the past.

Its whats happening now that matters.
I wish I could shut myself up, but I don't seem able to.
Perhaps you could practice saying the right things to yourself. Maybe a mirror exercise would work well for you. I couldn't do it, but you might be able to. Look at yourself and what do you see? Someone fat and out of control? Is that the same as your DS sees? Your parents? Your friends? Bet it isn't;)

Are they all wrong then?

Look at yourself through their eyes.

Who would you want as a friend. Someone who was self absorbed about their weight and couldn't give tuppence for you, or sweet thoughtful Barb?

Oh yeah...I know...we all want to be slim, but you really, really, really, mustn't make that your main reason for dieting. Trust me on this. I've read the manual :D

It is unusual for me to feel quite so down on myself, but I really do.
Perhaps you are just going through a bad self hatred spell and will feel better tomorrow. Try to get a little bit of balance there. Accept that is how you feel today, but it's just the evil chatterbox talking. It's not the real Barb. It's the one that we are all brainwashed to think like. That size is of the utmost.

I feel like starving myself to teach myself a damn good lesson for being such a pig.
And you know that isn't the answer. You made some choices that perhaps took you up the wrong path. No big deal. They were your choices in one area of your life (food)...now you need to make some different ones (which you have done). That's good eh? Why punish yourself? Nothing to be gained.

I have to be sensible,
No you don't. You can just be Barb. Someone who can look after themselves as well as they do others. You are doing yourself a huge great favour with this diet. You aren't depriving yourself, just looking after yourself.

So, how come even whilist i was writing that I could here myself saying, in my best sarcastic voice ' Yeah, right, only heard that about 100 times in the last 5 years'.
You've only got to do it once properly. Every diet that you have done has been a learning opportunity for you. You can look back and think you've failed at them all, or you can see that you have a huge manual of experiences. Ones that pertain to you. Ones that will help you this time. Learn from your experiences.

Yipes, sorry to be such a misery guts, don't know where its come from.
I'm sure anyone reading my reply is thinking "OMG Karion is off on one". I feel sure that some people think I couldn't possibly understand the problem. Ohhh, but I do. Been there, done that.:sigh:

The only way I could get out of the mire was to completely turn my way of thinking around. I don't think you've done that yet. You are still believing that you are on that dieting ball and chain. You are thinking of it all in a negative light....but most importantly, I think you are still thinking short term. You are aiming to be slim, because you believe that will make you happy and your weight issues will disappear when the scales say the right numbers.

Love to you Barb. I think you're terrific. Please don't let any of this put you off saying how you feel. I'm not looking at your messages and thinking that your crazy, or stupid. You're just saying what I've said to myself so many times. I'm just hoping that if I write enough times someone is going to take some of it onboard and not lose so much of their precious lives walking into the walls;)

OMG. Excelled myself this time with the length of that message:eek:

I love you Karion, you are a true friend to who takes the time and trouble to help. Thank you, I have read all that you have said and it does make sense to me. Just not all the time!

You've only got to do it once properly. Every diet that you have done has been a learning opportunity for you. You can look back and think you've failed at them all, or you can see that you have a huge manual of experiences. Ones that pertain to you. Ones that will help you this time. Learn from your experiences.

This is the bit that makes the most sense to me; you are right, I DO have a lot of experience, I Do know what works for me, thats why i am doing the food diary thing; because I know it works. The spooky thing is that whilst you were writing this wonderful reply for me, I was going through my old food diary and records and congratulating myself on the fact that I have never gone all the way back. I never went back to 18+stone, so I must have learnt a lot along the way, now I just have to use it.
I think you are also right that this is just one of those days, in fact i feel brighter already. I have been through my wardrobe and realise that in the next 7-10lbs I will be able to fit into a few things that are a bit tight now. That cheered me.

The only way I could get out of the mire was to completely turn my way of thinking around. I don't think you've done that yet. You are still believing that you are on that dieting ball and chain. You are thinking of it all in a negative light....but most importantly, I think you are still thinking short term. You are aiming to be slim, because you believe that will make you happy and your weight issues will disappear when the scales say the right numbers.

Yes, right again, I am feeling sorry for myself and being negative, when in fact I am the one in control, what happens from now on is entirely my choice. I can be empowered by it or act like the downtrodden fat girl. I know the scales shouldn't matter so much, my health should be the important thing and I don't think I have got my head round that. Truth is if someone said eating deep fried mars bars would make you lose half a stone a week I'd probably give it a go! (any chance, do you think?)

I feel like my head has been desperately trying to ease itself into the right place for a while. So I just need to confrim a few things with myself. Once I've agreed them with myself I need to stop agonising about how I look and think more about how I feel. I know that when I am lighter I feel better, not just because I know I look better but because I feel stronger, fitter, more flexible, comfier in my clothes etc.. So,

Am I happy as I am? No
Do I want lose weight? Yes
Do I want to feel fitter? Yes
Have I confidence in my plan? Yes
Is this a change for life? Yes

Can I just get on with it then? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Karion, I seem to need your input every now and again. I will get there though, I am sure of that.

Much Love

Quote:

You're such a star Barb, and yes, you will get there. Most definitely. I have so much respect for you mate because you take the time to read.

I was just thinking about that message I sent sometime ago about the person who walks into walls.

Sometimes I read messages and I guess they are walking into walls, then someone will join them and they'll talk about walking into walls together. Others will just say "well done for not walking into that wall today".

I can shout from that rooftop, "you need to stop walking into walls", but people just put their headphones on and pretend I'm not there:rolleyes:

Not saying you're walking into walls, but whatever I say, you take the time to listen. You may well not agree with it all, but you listen and it's not until you do that, that you start to find your own answers.

Thanks Karion, if you are so sure I will get there, then I am even surer!

I remember the walking into walls post; it really made me think. It's funny isn't it how when we keep doing the same things we are surprised when we keep getting the same results. I am turning that to my advantage though, because I am using what I learnt from my food diary before; if you keep eating sensibly most of the time you will lose weight and if you record every morsel you will learn when the problems develop and how to nip them in the bud. So if I use the food diary properly as I did before I will get the same results, weight loss and a feeling of control and healthiness. This time though, I will keep it going. Do you know why I stopped before? Because it was just into the New Year and the book had run out of pages. How stupid is that? I lost the momentum and i never got it back. A week without the food diary became a fortnight, became a month and 5 years later I've finally started again! This time I will use a bigger book and buy a new one at least a month before this one runs out. Silly little strategies but they work.

I do always listen to what you say Karion, I enjoy how you give my mind a work out! Sometimes I don't understand or I am not ready to take on board what you are saying, but yes, I always listen.

Love

Back