Barb's Fabulous Food Diary!

It was a good day - ending with a chinese but sensible choices and not too much! Feeling a bit 'off', not sure why, think there is just too much to do at the mo and not enough time! better get off here then!

Looks like it is going really well Barb, you are in the right place now. Like you I have a penchant for biscuits so I know how hard it is to kick the habit. DDs are easy because I hardly have any coffee then and coffee time is biscuit time, funny how we link these things. Taking the diet nice and easy is much the best way, we'd all love a diet on which we could lose several pounds a week and eat chocolate, but it's never going to happen so a comfortable pound or so a week which gets us there in the end is the way to go.

Spot on Claire - it's the 'got to get a stone off fast' mentality that has always been my undoing. Logically if I eat less I have to lose weight, but I'm not prepared to suffer and be hungry so the loss is going to be slow. Thats fine, i'm learning new habits as I go. This lunch time I was hungry for sweet stuff, so instead of having a sandwich I didn't want, followed by the sweet stuff I did want, I cut out the sandwich! I had toast and blackcurrant jam! Lovely!
Oh and I are off out for dinner, so I need to make sensible choices, which I will! Hope to see a lb of tomorrow, think I should be ok for that.

Thanks Shaza, it feels good, although my chatterbox is still going on about me making more effort and then i could lose weight faster, but i'm ignoring him!
So a 1.5lbs off this week - very pleased with that. Pretty much exactly what I'm aiming for so just got to keep this regime going. It would be so easy to slip into old habits bit I know I mustn't if I want to lose weight without the while full on dieting thing.
This morning i have had my tea and biscuit and didn't think of having more than one bisc.Yesterday I only had one all day!!!!! Unheard of!
I will be so pleased to be lighter, I hate being this shape, it really does effect everything. I look forward to a time when my weight isn't my first thought when I think about doing something.

A good day today; felt like i had eaten much more than I really had - this is where the diary really comes into it's own because it is the truth, not guesstimates or imagined food, but the real deal. So pleased with myself, especially because I had a bit of a light bulb moment today and again this evening.
I was working at home this morning and nearly got myself an extra biscuit, then I just thought 'why?, what good would that do, have one later if I really need one' which I never did! It was like I am starting to understand/acknowledge the fact that I have a choice. I don't have to keep repeating the behaviour that has got me to this weight and if I don't keep repeating it then I will change.
Tonight we had fish for dinner and i automatically fancied something sweet afterwards.I found myself thinking, 'what if I don't have anything sweet? what will happen, will it really matter?' I didn't have anything. I just CHOSE not to. This is new stuff for me, I just have to keep recognising the choices and make the right ones. It's not all 'pre-written' for me like I thought it was. Change is my choice and it's what i want.

Woken up feeling positive. I think as Karion has said in the past, I can finally start drawing on the huge amount of knowledge I have gained over the years and years of dieting!:D
I have had my tea and biscuit and it feels right to just have one. Yesterday was another 'only one biscuit all day' day! Nothing awful happened, I was fine, no need to panic! Hurray, this just shows that tiny changes add up, thats what i'm aiming for, to make a difference just by tweaking. ;)
Out for dinner with the family tonight; no problem, will make sensible, enjoyable choices, I'll drive so no drink issues and I am sure we will have a brill evening. Going to start planning my 50th, twins 21st our 30th etc. need to sort out what we all want to do and get organised!

Had a lovely night out with the kids, left a little of each course so didn't feel stuffed - very good!

Have decided that the twins and i are going to share one massive party on the 1st of Nov next year; going to hire somewhere (as I don't want the mess!) and have it catered and just haave a brill time! So pleased with that decision. Also pleased that my 1st thought wasn't 'wonder what I could weigh by then if I really went for it?' - that would be my old train of thought. But no more. My enjoyment is no longer based on what I weigh. I will be slimmer by then but more importantly I will be healthier and fitter, all the better to dance the night away!
Still feel very positive; feel like i have finally settled onto the right track. I really think it's almost all about conquering habits, thought processes and pleasing others.

I am learning new habits. I am changing how I think and I am not going to eat or drink because I feel under pressure to please others. So much of what I do is ingrained since childhood, but I am not a child, I am nearly 50, I can do what i want. I don't have to feel guilty because i didn't finish my dinner or whatever.

Onwards and downwards!

Bit of a naughty Friday on the vino front but have been being so good that i'm not too bothered. Also it was JUST vino, not an excuse to launch into chocolate/crisps/takeaway etc.. So no real damage done.

Had a good day yesterday; was getting dinner and really fancied a glass of cava ( a regular occurance for me), so I had a glass of sparkling water in a lovely crystal glass! Really enjoyed it and felt like I had a treat! Thats another habit being tackled. I really feel like this is the way forward for me, to battle each of my naughty habits one by one until they are not habits anymore. I know that it's not always going to be easy but I am using a sort of mantra which I have never done before; I say to myself ' I can have this (biscuit or whatever) if I REALLY want it, but it is my choice and each positive choice puts me on the right track to getting slimmer and healthier'.

I think I am going to get there, it's going to be very slow but it's going to be permanent. I am expecting to see lb off this week, which would be fab!

A good day yesterday. Made a low cal toastie 4 lunch and had enough after just over half so binned the rest! It's a real waste to eat cals that I don't want or need - thats what I told myself.

I drank sparkling water whilst getting dinner and I poured a glass of wine down the sink because I'd had enough!

This is all quite groundbreaking stuff - I know it is making a difference. I feel very relaxed about the fatc that this plan is going to take ages; there is no real pressure and I am actually enjoying making choices, appreciating the control I have over my own life. Grown up stuff!

Additional benefit - a packet of ginger biscuits now lasts up to 3 weeks!!!!!!

A good day yesterday, slipped a little in the evening with some chocolates but basically could afford to had been sensible all day.
Just read Karion's thread about failure. Fascinating stuff, really felt like it was there to help me, just to underline so many of my current thoughts. I really am using all my past 'failures' in this new life. I am finding what I can live with and what i can't. I am learning new things about myself too - I'm not as food obsessed as I thought, I can just not bother with it and nothing awful happens! The hardest bit is stopping the reward system; i.e hard morning at work = chocolate after lunch. Yesterday I had a whole morning on my accounts; a very unfavourite task. Got home and had a delicious bowl of homemade super healthy chicken soup. Nearly had something sweet straight after and then thought, no, don't want to spoil the lovely flavour of that soup with sweet stuff. So waited till 4pm and then had a cup of tea and ONE biscuit. The big difference? Well I stopped and thought about it, I didn't eat automatically. I definately do eat automatically a lot, thats a habit that needs serious work and it's getting it!
Tomorrows weigh in day and I really hope to see a lb off! Watch this space, because whether I've lost or not, this plan is what I'm sticking with because I know, over time, it will give me good results.

Hi Barb,

I haven't posted to you for ages! I'm glad to see you're still posting on your food diary - it helps loads!

Anyway just wanted to say "hello! and hope everything is OK with you and your family.

Take care!

Thanks CC - everythings fine thank you and I am pleased to report 1.25lbs off this week! Really chuffed with that. Off to update my signature!

How cool is that?! You've lost your first stone!

Thanks for all your posts Barb, you're a real inspiration.

Wow, Thanks Dom, don't think I've ever been called an inspiration before! I do love to think that what i am doing might help others though. i feel like I have found my 'magic key' after a long time flailing about trying all sorts of 'quick fixes' that turned out not to be!
I suppose that is the biggest thing i learnt, that it is going to take time. That it's ok for it to take time. i am very aware of how much nicer I am being to myself, which is a huge bonus as so much of the time in my dieting past I have been anything but kind to myself. I am thrilled with my average lb a weekish, that will get me there, but i am even more thrilled to discover that I can change my ways and thought processes and make my life better.
I am so looking forward to 2008, I am going to be a very fit and healthy bunny for the cruise in september and for all the other things I want to achieve in the next few years.

Hiya Barb,
I am so glad your keeping your positivity going, i am in awe of you truth be told you have definitely broken a vicious circle of dieting / bingeing with your mindset and its so much harder to sort out the head and veer away from the "quick fixes".

Well done Barb here's to 2008
lotsa love Jules xxx

Thanks CC - everythings fine thank you and I am pleased to report 1.25lbs off this week! Really chuffed with that. Off to update my signature!

Well done you babe!!

Thanks Jules and CC, it' s so great to have your encouragement and support. I had a good dya yesterday, very busy, too busy I think because when I got home I reached straight for the vino! Not a total disaster but a bit annoying. Tonight we are out for dinner and that will probably be quite boozy too, I am not panicking though. I have been very sensible all day and I know that nay excesses tonight can be made up for. It's not a case of a couple of bad days and it's all over. Not any more. In fact even today, knowing tonight is happening, I have made sure to eat well. In the bad old days I would have automatically over eaten all day knowing that I will tonight, thus doubling the damage and then some!
I am learning. I am not an all or nothing girl; not any more!!!

hiya friend :) Sorry I haven't been about much on this thread. Work issues:rolleyes:

Great to hear you sounding so positive and really getting to grips with the ol' perception business. Good on ya :)

Back