Barb's Fabulous Food Diary!

Hope you're still chugging along nicely again Barb.

Hi Karion, thanks for checking up on me. I'm ok, feeling a bit down TBH, we had an OFSTED yesterday and those people really know how to tear down everything you are trying to achieve and make you feel useless. I'm upset for me but more so for my staff; the very things we were praised for at our other nursery was what we were criticised for at this one. I feel so pissed off and utterly powerless. Don't cope well with unfair situations, want to stamp mt feet and throw a tantrum. Very helpful! I can take it where we deserve it, am the first to admit we are not perfect. But some of what was said was plain nonsense and thats difficult to bear.

Dietwise, yeah pretty good I think. Haven't honestly been thinking about it much.

we had an OFSTED yesterday and those people really know how to tear down everything you are trying to achieve and make you feel useless.

Aww Barb :( They don't feel they are doing their job unless they pull a few criticisms out of the bag :(

Quite a coincidence that you should mention ofsted though, as I have just typed out the ofsted poem on my tips thread. You may like a read

http://www.minimins.com/chit-chat/25774-kds-tips-remember-stuff-mnemonics-et-all-2.html

You could find it useful. :D :D

Not sure how long I'll keep it there. Might be best to delete it shortly:eek:

Dietwise, yeah pretty good I think. Haven't honestly been thinking about it much.

Good, good. Nice when you can put it to the back of your mind and get on with life :clap:

Read the poem - excelllent stuff! I know the OFSTED attitude that recommendations must be found ( three per inspection is what they are supposed to come up with now as a minimum apparently unless you get the hallowed outcome of Outstanding) and I understand but I hate to see people(including my self) so demoralised when we have happy children, happy parents and happy staff; or at least we did have!

Anyway, no good blethering on. We'll live.

Thanks Julie, I'm ok. Just not had a moment to spare and not really 'dieting' on any level! StS this week and am quite happy with that really. It's been a treat not to be so focused on food/weight/clothes etc.. It's interesting that despite a few outings I have sts, I would have expected to have put on but haven't. Hmmmm

Well, had a fab weekend away in Norwich with friends - ended up booking a cruise for Sept 2008 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary! So excited, we are going to Alaska!

My first thought was, cripes, better go on a diet quick! How ingrained is that kind of thinking? Pondered it all weekend really and then thought, no hang on, I've got 10 months till we go. Ideally I would like to be 3 stone lighter approx, thats a lb a week between now and then. I can do that using my food diary, making healthy choices and generally being less obsessive. So thats the plan, carry on doing what I'm doing, NOT hitting the panic button and being chuffed with any progress along the way.

So after a weekend of excess, back to healthy eating. I've actually missed it!

Well, had a fab weekend away in Norwich with friends - ended up booking a cruise for Sept 2008 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary! So excited, we are going to Alaska!

My first thought was, cripes, better go on a diet quick! How ingrained is that kind of thinking? Pondered it all weekend really and then thought, no hang on, I've got 10 months till we go. Ideally I would like to be 3 stone lighter approx, thats a lb a week between now and then. I can do that using my food diary, making healthy choices and generally being less obsessive. So thats the plan, carry on doing what I'm doing, NOT hitting the panic button and being chuffed with any progress along the way.

So after a weekend of excess, back to healthy eating. I've actually missed it!

WTG Barb,
Well done that sounds like clever thinking to me the longer it takes to come off the longer it takes to go on .

Ooooohh Alaska sounds wonderful i bet your very excited have you ever cruised before or are you a cruise virgin ?
I have never been myself but have a secret hankering lol .
Glad you had a good weekend my sweet lotsa luv Julie xxx :D

Hi Julie,

yes cruised once before - complete disaster as BA lost our luggage so we spent 5 days out of 7 in crew uniform or what we travelled in!!!!!! However, it wasn't the cruises fault and I still loved the whole waking up somewhere different every day thing so am SERIOUSLY excited about Alaska. We get the first night in Vancouver then travel to Alaska, see the glaciers etc.. then back via Seattle, Oregon and finally San Franciso!! It is going to be amazing and with the dollar exchange it is unbelievably well priced. Cheaper than the med!!!

Can't wait - but will have to! I think my softly softly approach is going to work weight wise; hope so anyway!

Love

Umm, make that too softly, softly! Nothing lost again this week, but no big surprise, did have the weekend away, a chinese when we got back and out for dinner last night. Want to do better this week though, just 5 weeks to Christmas and I need to make some real effort.

I have had a big chat with myself and thought about what NOT losing weight will mean rather than what losing weight would mean IYSWIM!
The pros of staying fat are minimal, basically that I would not need to monitor what I eat and I have enough fat clothes for the time being, unless I put on a load more!
The cons of staying fat are phenomenal! My health will suffer, my lungs, my joints, my stamina and my mind! When we cruise next year I will still have to buy all my clothes in Evans, not much good for posh cocktail/evening frocks - I want to shop in Monsoon and similar. When we go on the helicopter trips I will have the embarrassment of being weighed, potentially in front of OH and friends! On the ship I will feel uncomfortable swimming as I really don't look great in my cossie. When it comes to any climbing in or out or up or down I am acutely aware of how clumsy my weight makes me, that is going to be a problem as the Alaska trip is very physical if you do the exciting trips, which I want to do.
So, its a no brainer really. I have to get on and make this food diary work and lose this weight, slowly but consistently. I can accept that I will have the odd week where I STS, but not 2 or more in a row.

I'd like to do the whole journey using this method but I have to be sure it is going to work. So I am giving myself the 5 weeks till Christmas (ok, it's slightly under) and I expect to see a lb a week off. As long as I achieve that I will carry on into January and apply the same rules. If the weight loss stops then i will consider going back to cal counting or similar.
For the first time I have really considered the effects of NOT losing weight and I've quite frightened myself. How can I possibly consider not losing?
So, I'm not going to be miserable about it; I can still go out and enjoy myself etc.. just not all the time. I have approx 42 weeks till the cruise, even at a steady lb a week thats 3 stone and would see me at a much better (not perfect, but I don't need that) weight and around a size 16-18 would think.

So lets see if the Fabulous Food Diary can really deliver - I'm sure it can.

Barb it is always hardest trying fit a diet in with social events and family life. You've done really well so far, the system obviously works for you. Perhaps you could refine it a bit, maybe give yourself a treats allowance in calories per day or week, that way you'd not have to count everything, just the unhealthy stuff. I'm sure your incentives are strong enough, the cruise sounds fantastic.

Thanks Claire - good idea, will see how it goes! Good today; made DS2 and OH homemade steak burgers, chips etc.. for dinner, I made 2 stuffed mushrooms for me and only ate one! Been good all day so feeling chuffed, back in the zone, about blooming time!

Very pleased with yesterday; feel I definately had a light bulb moment and am now just working towards being where I NEED to be.:D Staying fat is just not an option; I've been kidding myself that it maybe, but it really isn't.

Having a good day today, discovered a really yummy low cal wrapin Waitrose for lunch. Crayfish and rocket, very tasty and filling for a mere 256 cals! Felt like I'd had a real treat without breaking the calorie bank. Yippee:)

Feel pleased with myself, definately back on track. It's amazing how happily we slip back into old habits. Over the last couple of weeks my one biscuit rule had gone out of the window, even though i thought it was really established. Then on Wednesday I did a quick mental count up of biscs through the day - I had had 10! That really shook me - a good 500 cals of complete rubbish!

Anyway, back to where I should be and feeling very positive. We have a party to go to tonight so I will be driver - that means no naughty drinks, which really saves the cals.

Hiya Barb,
It is good that you aren't panicking after all the head work you have done, that would be a real shame .I am so proud of you taking it steady is such a positive way to lose weight and regain control very admirable . I have complete faith that you will be healthy and happy for that cruise.

Keep at it gorgeous :D luv julie xxx

Thanks Julie, always encouraging me, you are lovely!

I am feeling very positive, not even worried about Christmas, when usually i would be thinking, 'not much point in dieting now, I'll start again in the New Year'! Thing is that kind of thinking would see me at least half a stone heavier by Jan and feeling even more daunted by the task. I don;t feel daunted because i know that I can steadily drop a lb or 2 a week and get to where I wnat to be. There is no panic, just an understanding of what I need to do and for some reason, it doesn;t feel difficult, just sensible.
Last night we had chicken and chips for dinner because of going out early to a party and me not wanting to cook. I joined in but had a small portion, it was lovely, I could have eaten more but I didn't. At the party I never went near the buffet table and I drove so didn't drink. It wasn;t hard at all. Today I have woken up hangover free and feeling pleased with myself! Yippee!

Thanks Julie, always encouraging me, you are lovely!

I am feeling very positive, not even worried about Christmas, when usually i would be thinking, 'not much point in dieting now, I'll start again in the New Year'! Thing is that kind of thinking would see me at least half a stone heavier by Jan and feeling even more daunted by the task. I don;t feel daunted because i know that I can steadily drop a lb or 2 a week and get to where I wnat to be. There is no panic, just an understanding of what I need to do and for some reason, it doesn;t feel difficult, just sensible.
Last night we had chicken and chips for dinner because of going out early to a party and me not wanting to cook. I joined in but had a small portion, it was lovely, I could have eaten more but I didn't. At the party I never went near the buffet table and I drove so didn't drink. It wasn;t hard at all. Today I have woken up hangover free and feeling pleased with myself! Yippee!
Well done Barb,
So you should feel pleased for yourself .
All the big losers on here say that the hardest part of keping slim is maintaining so the way you are losing the weight is great because its maintaining in training you cant fail hunny. I am really proud of you :D. Stay strong take care luv Jules xxx

I think i have just had the least boozy weekend that I can remember for a long time. Very pleased as those empty cals do me no favours.
Had only 2 biscuits all day yesterday, one each with a cup of tea, so pleased with that too. I can't help but feel that it is these silly habits that have proved my downfall; if I can ditch them, then I have to lose weight. I would normally have had 2-3 biscs with my tea so that would have been 200-300 cals instead of 100, so I saved at least 100, probably 200! Thats has to make a difference. same with the wine; just one glass last night not 3, that must have saved 200+, so there's approx 500 saved in total just on those 2 items. Interesting. Over the week thats approx 3500, which is the equivalent of lb of fat! Mmmm, the appliance of science!!

Here's to a good day today!

Back