Beginners' Running Challenge - for those of us for whom running does not come easy

lynneonextante

Lynne will be thin!
I am doing the Race for Life twice this year - in Chesterfield on 16th June and in Huddersfield on 7th July. Every year I promise myself I'll run and every year I don't bother to train and end up mainly walking it. Running is not a natural activity for me.

This year will be different. It is unlikely that I will be ready to run the Chesterfield one but I'm going to have a good try for Huddersfield. This is partly to save face as I am 'team leader ' for a group of 23 colleagues, friends and family and have told everyone I will be running.

I bought some new running shoes last week and tried them out this morning. I walked / slow jogged 1.97 miles in 35.02 minutes which is a speed of 17.49 minutes per mile, using 235 calories. Not all that impressive for people who run, but very impressive for me!!!!!!

I'm going to do this route at least every other day and try to improve on my plan. I'll increase the length to 3 miles when I get better. Each time I'll record my results on this thread.

I hope some of you will join me. Just copy and paste the record and add your own entry. You don't have to put in as much detail (I use runkeeper on my phone.) Just put in what you want to record:

LYNNE Day 1: Distance 1.97 miles in 35.02 minutes. Average speed 17.49 minutes per mile. Calories 235.

I can't run cos for some bizarre reason it makes my teeth hurt! But I have just started to elliptical cross train, I've been aiming for 3k in half hour - if I may I'd love to join your challenge in my own running way?

Of course you can. How are you going to record it? I assume you either see how far you go in 30 minutes or how long it takes you to do 3K.

Yes, it has an onboard computer, I'm aiming for 3k in twenty mins, so far it's about 35 mins so I've got a way to go! I know it's not the same as running that distance but it doesn't make my teeth ache! Lol

You'll have to go pretty fast to do 3k in 20 minutes!

For real I'd never make it on my stubby chubby lil legs! Don't think the computer thingy is all that accurate.

I'm not built for running either but hope I look more the part when I lose weight. Since I'm only 5' 1'' I certainly don't have long legs for striding out!

'Run' done and there has been an improvement :wow:

Day 1: Distance 1.97 miles in 35.02 minutes. Average speed 17.49 minutes per mile. Calories 235.
Day 2: Distance 2.05 miles in 33.52 minutes. Average speed 16.29 minutes per mile. Calories 251. :stickdance:

Ooohhh can I join in? I have race for life 10k on the 30th June and I'm still struggling with running longer then 10 minutes at a time! I can do 7k in 70 minutes which isn't very good :( but I'm working on it! Did a 5.5k yesterday in 45 minutes x

Of course you can. Just record your times etc like I do. Your times look impressive to me! I'm sticking to 2 miles until I get a lot better!

Its manageable and means I can't very easily say I haven't time. It is going to be more difficult next week because I will be back at work which means leaving home at 6.45am and not getting back until 7.30pm! I have joined a gym near where I work so might go on the treadmill at lunchtime instead of going on a run either before I set off or after I get home!

Its manageable and means I can't very easily say I haven't time. It is going to be more difficult next week because I will be back at work which means leaving home at 6.45am and not getting back until 7.30pm! I have joined a gym near where I work so might go on the treadmill at lunchtime instead of going on a run either before I set off or after I get home!

That does make it harder. We can do it though! I have it easier coz I don't have anyone to look after apart from the fiancé so I can go for a run when I get in from work. Maybe weekends would be good? X

I'm just going to have to make time and ensure I do it at least every other day. I also want to try and fit in some weights at the gym. I'm sure we'll both manage. We just need to stay focussed and keep going until the race. If I manage to run the 5k I'm going to put my name down to do a 10k but that might be just a dream!

I'm just going to have to make time and ensure I do it at least every other day. I also want to try and fit in some weights at the gym. I'm sure we'll both manage. We just need to stay focussed and keep going until the race. If I manage to run the 5k I'm going to put my name down to do a 10k but that might be just a dream!

Run 5k then walk the rest of it ;) ill be doing a walk, jog, run routine anyway, I definitely can't run all of it. X

I don't feel as though I'll ever be able to run 5k at the moment! But I'm going to try my best.

No run today. Did the 7 mile walk today instead.

It's a beautiful walk through bluebell woods and countryside with lots of hills! I'm doing the run again tomorrow morning.

Did 7 mile walk on Tuesday and had a rest day yesterday. Did the run today even though it was very hot. Quite proud of myself really as I didn't want to go and made myself!

Day 1: Distance 1.97 miles in 35.02 minutes. Average speed 17.49 minutes per mile. Calories 235.
Day 2: Distance 2.05 miles in 33.52 minutes. Average speed 16.29 minutes per mile. Calories 251. :stickdance:
Day 3: 7 mile walk
Day 4: Rest day
Day 5: Distance 1.94 miles in 33.17 minutes. Average speed 17.07 minutes per mile. Calories 243.

Back