Big Girls Blouses and other stuff

Gemstone

Here for the Journey
Hi Everyone
I have been looking at clothes today. I am still not into "normal" sizes yet but WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON? Is it a conspiracy? - the clothes around at the moment JUST MAKE ME LOOK BIGGER THAN I AM. New Look have the Inspire range but that seems to have shrunk to a couple of rails and some stores don't stock it at all! Evans has gone from Disney flower prints last summer to downright frumpy this year. I just wish I did'nt still have to rely on FAT STORES to buy new clothes. What do other people think? :mad:
Gem x

No you're not alone in your thought about fat girl clothes. In my nearest town I only have the couple of rails in New Look and Evans to choose from and both have a very poor selection.

Each time I go - wanting to spend I can't. I end up going to Accessorize and getting something in there that doesn't need a size associated with it.

My problem purchases are work trousers. I'm a size larger on the hips than the waist - I don't want an elastic waist or pleats or pockets on my widest area but they all seem to have them in Evans:( I'm dreading my present trousers becoming too big as I will have to find an alternative, and I know it's not going to be easy.

Starlight - I would love to shop in your Evans, but it's a tad too far to travel.

Oo Sam..... don't I know what you mean about trousers. Find a pair and wear them to death. A few years ago I found some good black trousers, bought up the stock in my size and the size bigger (roomy but ok on fat days) and forgot about bottoms for a couple of years...... that was until they started getting thin in places and looked more brown than black. I was wearing elasticated waists as I thought I wouldn't get away without but I discovered when I tried ordinary fitting trousers that I actually looked better without all that extra fabric round my butt! I have the extra problem that I am fairly tall and Evans in particular have trousers that quarrell with my ankles - yes, I know they have a tall section but it is hard to find the right things in tall. There is always petite - that anoys me a little cos you can always take off but you can't add on.
I'm on a winge roll now. I'm tall so my weight for my height is higher anyway so "it's so unfair" (Kevin the teenager moment) that if I WAS petite and the same percentage overweight that I am I would probably still be in the "normal" size range. OK that's it - winge over :D
Gem x

M&S

At size 22/24 M&S have a limited stock for me to choose from. Even then if I ask for "tall" they will often tell me "Sorry Madam we only have regular in THAT size"! (Exit Gem with tail between legs like a scolded dog) - AND THAT LOOK! You know the one - the cross between pity and contempt which says "What can she expect - she should try losing some weight" without words :mad:
Gem x

Sorry Witchie - winging so much that I didn't say "Hello".
More winge coming up.......
What about the lady that measures you for your big girls bra then? (!) :eek:
There you are standing topless in the cubicle with the puppies completely unleashed and up she comes with a tape measure. Your eyes hit the ceiling as you try to pretend this isn't actually happening and the trim efficient woman with pert little boobs starts discussing yours as though they are some alien species that MUST BE CONTAINED! Enter Dr Who. So you wait in the cubicle (small tardis?) while said lady goes away to find a new sexy bra to do the magic. Then SHOCK! HORROR! the device is revealed - AND IT'S GOT MORE MATERIAL IN IT THAN A HAMMOCK (ok slight exageration!). You struggle with all those hooks that your original bra just didn't have and look in the mirror at - YOUR GRANDMOTHER! Whatever happened to the wonderbra with the chicken fillets? Well I'll tell you - I got two big chicken fillets of my own and there is no way they can be cajoled into a sexy bra for a while. Once the clothes go back on the bra has made an improvement and I'm quite pleased but I'm not looking forward to going through the measuring experience again - Although the sexy bra when the weight is gone will be something to look forward to
Gem ;)

Gem - you made me laugh regading the bra, and reminded me of an incident a couple of years ago. I too have ample in that department and our house guest must have come across the clothes airer with my bra on it. He walked through to the kitchen wearing one cup like a cap on his head - gives you an idea of the size.

Gem - I got that same "look" in Debenhams when looking for a bra in my size. All that could be offered was a "Doreen" - I remember my Mum wearing those and so there is no way I was going to start dressing like my Mum.

With regards to M&S & Debenhams. I'm a size 20/22 on the top and 24 on the bottom and neither have much in that size.

Hi Sam - Glad I made you smile. Hmm never thought of wearing them as a hat (could be useful in the rain). In fairness I actually went with the hammock and it improved the look of my clothes no end - for now! After all we are all in transition aren't we?
Gem x

I don't know about you, but I begrudge buying any clothes when in the "transitional" phase. I have size 8 feet, and even shopping for shoes is a big issue for me.

I guess I just don't like shopping!

my step daughter has size 7 feet and is a nitemare finding nice trendy shoes for her
I shop on a limited budget and im sick of not being able to get cheapish clothes just coz im slightly larger than the size 10 women who work in the shops looking down on you as you walk through the door as if there waiting on you getting stuck grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i mean im only a size 18/20 and sometimes i think im a size 80 the way some of the shop assistants look at me

Hands up - I'm size 8 shoes too! and blokes trainers are the most comfy for me. I do occasionally find some trendy flatties but I'm already 5'8" barefoot and don't need to totter around on high shoes. I know what you mean about begrudging cash for transitional clothes but we have to feel good about ourselves and our achievements or it is so much harder to continue. It's just so unfair that this niche market has us over a barrel with expensive uninspiring clothes.
Gem x

It's such a shame that the retail outlets are not recognising the need for realistic larger size clothing at a reasonable price too. I'm sure if one of them did it properly they would make a mint.

tesco tesco tesco tesco :D

i get all my clothes from there at the mo. i have lived in the size 20 black troos i got from there and they've only just started to go in the thigh after a year!! a year!! my jeans die in a couple of months. if i remember rightly they went up to at least a 24, possibly other sizes too. i know it started at 18 so there must be a fairly good range. the stuff is lovely, great colours (i'm big on colour :D) and it's all cheap too. what more could you ask for? :D

abz xx

Too dam right they would Sam. I do think we are being exploited by the retail trade. It's not as though we are a minority group and they have to make just a few pieces in the larger sizes. WE ALL SEEM TO BE CHASING THE FEW HALF DECENT PIECES THAT ARE OUT THERE OCCASIONALLY. Wake up designers manufacturers and retailers. We are here waiting BUT NOT FOR LONG. Us minis will be retailing with everyone else soon :D not scuttleing to the back few rows of the shop - you know - those in the corner behind the pillar! :)
Gem x

Tesco

Thanks for that abz. Reasonable prices AND clubcard points too! I'll certainly give that one a go - soon. Might just manage a size 22 - I am feeling a li ttle bit thinner - or is that just wishful thinking? ;) Watch this space
Gem x

Abz - my two local Tesco have very limited stock so nothing over a size 18/20 I'm afraid. I guess that's what comes from living in the middle of nowhere.

I hope I have better luck Sam & abz - hoping for big things!
Gem x

:wow:Lucky you Starlight. Maybe I should check out Evans again :)
Gem x

Back