Bingeing... Why?!!?

Hi Lesley,

looking for other ways to support yourself sounds like a really good idea.

Pomooky put into words just what I would have liked to say last night while I was rushing about, you do not have to struggle alone.

Keep posting here, and something I find useful is writing/typing my thoughts - somehow it keeps the thoughts coming for me. Why not start a diary or a blog? When the binging/being sick urge comes on you can try writing about the feelings and see if that helps it go away.

Someone else suggested talking out loud what is going on in your head when the urge hits.

Another thing that helps me is to avoid getting tired. When I'm exhausted and there is a plate of biscuits in front of me (last night!) I forget I don't really want them. Not that last night was a binge, I just saw them and ate mindlessly.

What I'm saying is that being tired can be a trigger for me but I don't suppose its something you can avoid - a mum coping on her own when your husband is away.

I suppose though I have it a bit similar, I've a teen and a nearly teen and my husband is ill and not there as he's in bed a lot of the time so I have to cope on my own most of the time.

Hope today goes well for you and everyone else involved in this thread.

Micci xxx

Hi micci thanks for your post more food for thought for me pardon the pun
I was fine last night so that was a bonus
I am sorry to hear about your husband that must be tough for you as well
Pomooky thank you for your advise but i cant realy go to my doctor he woudnt understand at all
Im glad you have an understanding doc tho and you are doing ok
Please keep talking to me it does help to know others suffer too
Lesley

Hi Lesley,

I found a list of Self Help groups organised by the people that do that phone support line. THe one I looked at was free and you don't need a doctor to refer you.

Here you are, sorry I can't do a long post now. There should be a clickable link to find out more about each one but if that doesn't work I can send you more links via a pm. Look after yourself.

Micci thanks for taking so much time to look up things for me it means a lot
I have taken your advise and phoned the number the lady was lovely and it was not what i
Expected at all i hot it was all going to be about food why i sometimes binge and be sick but it wasnt it was about how i feel before during and after
Wont go into the very personal stuff not here but i think it helped
She is going to phone me back in a few days it will be just her i speak to so thats good
I woudnt have phoned without your prompting
And i cant say ill never do it again but one day at a time
Im on day two no bingeing and no being sick
Thank you and please keep in touch
Hope you are doing ok and anyone else who has some of these probs keep posting
Lesley xx

Hi Lesley

You will beat this with some help. Shame about your GP. If must be awful your hubby being away.

Please feel free to contact me for a chat whenever you feel like it. I am on my own too with a 13 year old and it's easy to fill the gap with stodge! I'm not unhappy or depressed just in a rut and seem to find comfort in food. I'm also quite an anxious person and worry about a load of stuff that never happens!

You will see there's lots of us in the same boat and we can all support each other. At the moment it's the weekend and my TOTM and I have just had a BIG (age-wise) birthday -a bad combination! :cry: I did visit my GP who as I said was lovely, but she sent me to a counsellor who wasn't much help and just gave me lots of leaflets, questionnairs etc. and I decided to go it alone again. I know though that my GP will ask me how I'm going when I next visit so I won't get away with it!

For me, one of the worst things is the secrecy. Every time my son comes in for a chat (frequently!) I have to hide the kit-kats, digestives or whatever. There are crumbs on my bedspread and empty packets in my undie drawer - uuurggh! how sad is that?

So, anyway, you can see that there is at least one other "freaky eater" out there! Don't give up Lisa, people get over much worse addictions and cravings (drugs, drink etc) it's just that an addiction to Mr Kiplings Lemon Slices is not headline news and we need places like Minimins to sort us out. :)

Hugs Pomooky XX

Hi Lesley,

I cannot say how pleased I am that the phone number was of use. Like you said, one day at a time. I've really lost it as far as keeping to the SW plan and think that going back to a group would be good - alas I can't really spare the time or the money right now and am happy that this thread is here.

We can all support each other. Tbh, I feel my role is supporting others as I've been doing it all my life - sick mother, sick husband and growing children, my son is also in hospital at the moment so we've lots of visiting and other involvements there but really, and I find this hard to say, I need help as well.

Pomooky, you put things so clearly and well, I have a lovely image of you doing the ironing upstairs to avoid the kitchen :) You are so right about other addictions. Our addiction gives us a body shape that others put down to pure greediness but all of us here know its a lot more complicated than that and that our health is suffering too.

Talking of which, did anyone see that programme that's available on the bbc iplayer atm? Dead Fat? Oh goodness, its not easy watching but the autopsy is a shocker.

Micci xxx

Oh micci im am sorry to hear about your son what is wrong if you dont mind me asking
Of course you need help and i hope i can help you like you helped me
You seem to have such a lot on but you still need to make time for yourselve is their no one who can help you
If you get ill that will not help anyone
Please take care of yourself

Pomooky i honestly thot i was the only person who hid sweety wrappers and biscuits
One nite i was eating a load of biscuits and my neighbour popped in she never knocks
I just stuffed them down side of me and had a cushion on my knee
By the time i got up to see her out they had aw melted
She just kind of looked at me as i ushered her out he door
2nd nite of being good for me and since its sat thats good
Hope yous are ok take care lesley xx

Lesley,

The others have already said almost everything I could have said.
I believe that the most effective way to overcome eating disorders is trough counseling, a terapeutical process with an expert on eating disorders. Sometimes people doesn't find alone the reasons that led them to engage in eating disordered behaviours but there is always something and with the right help you can find it and start using best ways to overcome this issue.

Try to think about the times that it happens. You said you go weeks in a row without any binge/purge behavious. What is different those weeks, wich people is around you, what happens at work, etc. ?

The links above sound great; there is just one another that I would like to add, because it is the biggest online supporting group for people fighting eating disorders. It has hreat articles and a very active forum:
Eating Disorders | Anorexia | Bulimia | Binge Eating Disorder | Compulsive Overeating | The Something Fishy Website on Eating Disorders
SFWED Remember It Hurts Community - Powered by vBulletin

*hugs*

Good Morning every one!

Aline, that's a very full site, I've been there but must leave further investigation till this evening. Thanks for posting it, it looks very good.

Lesley, how are you today? Thanks for asking about my boy. We don't know what the problem is exactly, he has a lot of problems and is being assessed. The good thing is they don't like to keep children away from home for a long time unless they have something that needs them in the hospital all the time so he comes home at weekends.

I'm trying to make a fresh start this week and am avoiding the bread and biccies and sweeties etc. I know that part of my problem is that I have lost enough weight for it to be noticeable and so I have lost my immediate 'away from motivation' so focusing on where I want to get to is my focus this week.

Er ... Pomooky and Lesley and people involved here ....... I too hide sweetie wrappers and packets etc ..... and have looked in bins before now ..... I hang my head in shame and resolve not to do do it anymore.

Hugs to you all, have a successful and productive day xxx

Hi micci im sorry to hear of the troubles you have it makes anything i go on about very trivial
I hope that i can support you a little as you have me
Last nite for no reason i found myself stuffing 3 jaffa cakes in my mouth now that would normally have been start of a big binge but and to be honest i dont know why i thot no im not doing this . I got out my book and pointed them and thats as far as it went i did feel so good today
I know i mite slip up but last nite i didnt
Pomooky hope you are doing ok and haveing a good day

Aline thank you so much for taking the time to put up the links for me i did and do appreciate it
I will chek them out later on
Please everyone take care of yourselves lesley xx

Hi,

thanks Lesley. You did brilliantly then to stop at three and work out the points for them. You can have another good evening tonight.

My exciting life, gosh, I've hardly started :) I used to correspond a fair bit with people from other countries who asked if East Enders was anything like real London life. Naaaah, I would say, life is far more peaceful than that. But not so. Over the last few years my life has been just like an East Enders plot and tbh, I'm really hoping that period is coming to an end. Give it a year or so and I like to think life will be more sorted. Except we will have to move within two years, but that's another story ....

Yes you can help me. I need to be told that I can do this, I've lost focus on where I'm going on this journey to slenderness. Size 12 clothes seem a long way off now, and my jeans I'd got back into are too tight again ... tell me I can get back on plan and be wearing 12/14s by August.

I've made quite good food choices today which I'm pleased about, even made a jam pudding for the teenagers and not had any myself.

G'night ......

Hi micci im sorry to hear of the troubles you have it makes anything i go on about very trivial
I hope that i can support you a little as you have me
Last nite for no reason i found myself stuffing 3 jaffa cakes in my mouth now that would normally have been start of a big binge but and to be honest i dont know why i thot no im not doing this . I got out my book and pointed them and thats as far as it went i did feel so good today
I know i mite slip up but last nite i didnt
Pomooky hope you are doing ok and haveing a good day

Aline thank you so much for taking the time to put up the links for me i did and do appreciate it
I will chek them out later on
Please everyone take care of yourselves lesley xx

Lesley, you were very strong yesterday and that proves you have the abilities to stop yourself from binging, you can control it, you just have to believe it. Asking yourself why you were doing it was a great strategy to deal with it, because you found out it wasn't real hunger and stopped;) You were mindfull!

Yes you can help me. I need to be told that I can do this, I've lost focus on where I'm going on this journey to slenderness. Size 12 clothes seem a long way off now, and my jeans I'd got back into are too tight again ... tell me I can get back on plan and be wearing 12/14s by August.

I've made quite good food choices today which I'm pleased about, even made a jam pudding for the teenagers and not had any myself.

G'night ......

You can do this Micci. Look you did it today ;)

x

I wasnt going to post this because I'm ashamed of myself, but I have just binged on 3 danish pastries and 2 rolls and crisps!! I went to start some revision but ended up stuffing my face instead.

I hate when this happens, i didnt even taste the food or even felt a twinge of hunger before hand. I actually stopped halfway through before realising how quickly I was stuffing the food in my mouth, and was just like why??? Why are you doin this to yourself? God I hate it, usually exercise helps me cope with my stress but around exam time I feel too guilty if I exercise instead of revise.

Now after my binge I dont feel any better, the binge hasnt made me any less stressed, hasnt helped me concentrate any more, so why do I keep putting myself through this.

xx

Hi Lesley

How are you? Well done with the Jaffa's (pity the fruit ones aren't nearly as tasty!). I am currently thinking about food as usual and so I'm going to grab some seeds and flavoured raisins before I cave in and hit the digestives.

Micci - it's a struggle isn't it? I am fed up with thinking about weight and food all the time. It really has taken over my life. I would so like to just grab a bag of maltesers (like my skinny sister does) as a treat and not think twice about it and certainly NOT head back to the cupboard for some more!

I think we may have hijacked Sparkle's thread here! (where and how are you Sparkle?) but it seems there are a lot of people struggling with food and it's nice to know I'm not the only secret sweetie eater! :)

Pomooky XX

Hi pomooky i know exactly how you feel i think about food all the time what ive had has it been a good or a bad day which i know is part of my problem because everything in moderation is good i just dont do moderation

Micci hope things are ok with you well done with he jam tart
I know you can do well and youll be in those jeans before you know
The nice weather is here for a we while and the liter nites will help too

Celtic welcome and sory about your we binge i do the same thing sometimes i can stop sometimes not
I have to look at why that is
If you were stressed that woudnt have helped
People dont binge because their hungry at least i never do
Maybe have a look at the websites posted up here x

A line and sparkle how are you both doing
Sparkle thanks for starting this off its really helped
Take care everyone lesley

Thank you all for sharing your ups and downs, I didn't realize there was so many bingers out there, I am trying to understand why, cos I can get weight off but it's like I. Am punishing myself with food, like I don't ' deserve ' to be thin, and put back on so now it's time to acknowledge this problem I have, I used to think , just concentrate on losing the weight, then deal with it when I am thin, it will be easier then, cos when your thin life will be perfect ( not )!
So now I need to address friend/enemy with food, and follow a steady maintenance, for when I reach goal, starting with my head, any suggestions? Would be helpful

I was a classic binge eater - this sounds stupid, but for me it was like a 'drug fix' - when i would be sitting with a massive amount of food that i liked i basically couldnt have been happier - and i would eat until i really couldnt eat anymore.

My standard would have been to eat normal all day - then in the evening i would get fast food - mcdonalds/chinese - or usually a large chicken curry chip, chicken burger, milkshake and coke - and something like a packet of jaffa cakes and a couple of packets of crisps.

Its a mental thing - for me it was just a massive urge - I think the only way to stop is to calorie count and never go beyond your limit for the day - with time the urge gets smaller and I believe eventually will go away completely - so you just eat like a normal person.

Hi Lesley!

Off work today so feeling good - certainly better than yesterday when I had a root canal treatment and then hit the Pino Grigio and aero bars (uugh what a combination). At least it took my toothache away!

Today so far I've had porridge, pitta with philly light, toms and salad, activia fat free and tea and coffee. Plan for chicken salad tonight and NO wine as this sets me off on the road to ruin.

Hope you, Micci, Cactus and all other secret sweetie eaters have a lovely Easter too (aaaargh! all those eggs to resist!) :D Pomooky XX

Lol i know what you mean about eggs they are already calling out to me
Im not keen on dentist so u were very brave
I had a good wk lost 5 and a haf pound omg had a few sticky moments but by and by managed
I have not made myself sick for 7days now so im getting there
I am going to a neighbours for a barbie tomorow so that will be the test not to get rid of food when i home
Micci cactus everyone else have a good one xx

Back