Birthday Parties

Shirleen

Gold Member
Hi, I'm after a bit of advice, not being a party person I don't know anything!

My Dort is 21 in October, and I'd like to throw her a party, NOT at home lol!
So my question is, what do I need? Is a venue+DJ+buffet with a bar enough or would I need to supply/pay for alcohol+drinks too?
I don't want to pay a fortune but I don't to look cheap.

I was hoping I could maybe buy the wine for a toast?

Hi Shirleen, I'm 22 and although I didn't have a 21st myself lots of my friends did so I my be able to help!

A venue, DJ and Buffet is enough. Only one of the ones I went to supplied alcohol and like you said that was a bottle of bubbly on each table for the toast (not expensive stuff!).

Everywhere else people just bought their own drinks and that was fine, I know some venues in our area will do drinks promotions for 21st parties on things like shots and WKDs so look out for something similar.

Have fun organising! X

Hi Shirleen, Dj, venue & food is perfect, here in Ireland my parents did the same for my sister and then as I didn't want a party they three me a BBQ at home & supplied all the alcohol too ( and a bouncy castle) :)

a drink for the toast is a good idea but I don't think it's necessary, people will be happy to buy their own drinks :)

When we arranged an anniversary party for the out-laws, we just arranged DJ, venue and buffet.

The venue wouldn't let us provide the buffet (we had to use their 'recommended' person - this actually turned out great!! - lovely food and cheaper than we could have provided it for!!!).

We also wanted to provide the wine for the toast (the wine behind the bar would have been too expensive and also not our favourite!) - the venue were planning on charging us 'corkage' fee until we made it clear to them that this would only be 1 glass and not a continual supply. Once they realised their bar profits were not going to be affected, everything was fine and we didn't get charged the 'corkage' fee.

If you have a function room in a pub as your venue they may well not charge much room hire as you'll be buying their drinks all night. They would probably also be able to supply dj and buffet if you wanted them to. You definitely don't need to provide more than that - even wine for a toast is a lovely gesture which I'm sure your guests would appreciate!

Well I was looking into this recently as we celebrate our 25th anniversary later this year.

I found function rooms to be the cheaper option, my local one let me come & look round, I would be able to go earlier in the day to decorate & we could provide our own catering.

I found catering quite expensive so I had decided to just do pie & peas which worked out inexpensive & would suit all people.

Notice all the above in past tense, OH put his foot down firmly & said no to a party, & we compromised (that's what married life is about:D) & are now going on holiday.

I think to provide venue, DJ & buffet is enough & wine to toast.

When is the party???????????

Def don't supply the alcohol - it just means people get greedy and then get more drunk and become a pain in the bum. (I always prefer weddings where people pay for their own alcohol for that reason.) If people don't come because they have to buy their own drink then they aren't real friends anyway.

Hi, I'm after a bit of advice, not being a party person I don't know anything!

My Dort is 21 in October, and I'd like to throw her a party, NOT at home lol!
So my question is, what do I need? Is a venue+DJ+buffet with a bar enough or would I need to supply/pay for alcohol+drinks too?
I don't want to pay a fortune but I don't to look cheap.

I was hoping I could maybe buy the wine for a toast?
I would also recommend sausage rolls, jelly, ice cream, and bun sandwiches with 5p pieces in some of them.

Back