BMI - Even at my target still shows overweight!

moomintrolljen

Will be thin god dammit!!
I just looked my BMI up and for my height it says i need to be 9.5 stones to be in the ideal bracket!!!!
I dont want to be anywhere near there if im honest.
I started this at 18 stone 9 lbs and set my target as 12 stones which i feel seems reasonable at the moment and also about 2 stones lighter than i have ever been in my adult life!
Does your target correspond with these chart thingys?

I adjusted my goal today because I thought I was being unrealistic. It was giving me a BMI of 21.1 but thats silly for a woman who has had 3 massive babies and has enough skin to make a four man tent destined to be left over on her midriff.

Look at it this way. Losing over 6 stone will give you IMMENSE health benefits and you will feel a million dollars. 26 is only just over the "normal" BMI point, and the most important thing for you is to set yourself a realistic and achievable goal.

Once you get to target, you may feel like you could go a few pounds further, or you may be perfectly happy to stop there. Thats your choice, and no silly chart should influence it. What is right for YOU is the important thing.

I think MadameLaMinx's words are very wise. See how you feel further down the line.

I am not thinking about BMI , I am just going until I am happy with myslef . I too am 5'6'' and my target of 11 stone puts me in the normal bracket with a BMI of 24.9 ( or so ) so I am sure you dont need to be 9.5 stone !!!
If you get to 12 stone and are happy there , then stop , it is certainly healthier than 18 stone 9 lb .. the same weight i started as too :)

Thanks girls - like you MLM Ive had 3 babies too and just dont think this body is ever gonna go back to the shape it was when I was 16 whatever I do!!
I think for now 6 stones is a lot to lose and as you have said when I get there i can always adjust if i feel i can.
I seem to remember when i was prgnant the midwife asking my shoe size as its a reflection of your build - well Im a size 8 so dont think im destined to be mega thin!

BMI... What can i say - it's a load of crock (and i'm being polite).

It's based on averages - and just who is average?

I'm apparently 5'9. to have a BMI of 25 I need to weigh (apparently) under 12st. Darn bloody unreachable if you ask me.

My target weight is 13st7 - i'll be there next week I hope. That gives me a BMI of about 28 - still technically overweight.

I'll have lost a total of 14st1.5lb when i reach that target, i'm now wearing 34inch waist trousers for the first time in my adult life. And i'm happy.

If this means that some dietician/doctor/quack thinks that i'm overweight, then so be it - i'm happy to be overweight. because quite simply - some of my last sets of photos made me feel like i was too thin - especially around the face - and that was half a stone or so ago. This is far enough - who knows i may change my mind in a few months and go for another 7lbs - but i want to get used to this me first.

I did once ask my GP about this - his words were BMI are an good guideline - unless you're built like Charles Atlas - but more importantly to stop when YOU are happy. He didn't add, but i will - that when you are happy and not some white coated academic who hasn't got a clue about real life. :)

Thanks Ian x

6 - 12lb a week?

Determinator, what did you do to lose 6lb a week and much more?! 2lb is pretty good going, 12lb is probably a whole leg!

OK, my opinion on BMI is pretty much the same as everyone else in here - it's merely a guideline (and not always a very accurate one, either!) So much depends on your frame, how you're built, how tall you are etc. I'm shooting for a healthy BMI as my initial goal - mainly because then I will no longer be "overweight" officially and the doctors that moan on at me and blame all my problems on weight will have to shut up! Ultimately I'm aiming for a BMI of 20/21 ish, but that's mainly because of my age, I think. I'm only eighteen and it's normal to weigh a little less in your formative years. If I were a bit older, I may be thinking differently. I think it's down to what you feel comfortable with, really.

If you're happy where you are now, forget BMI. It's really outdated and hip-to-waist ratio is a much better indicator of health.

As an example of how inaccurate BMI is, my Dad, whose in his early 40s, has an "overweight" BMI. You would never look at him and think he was overweight in a million years. His body as a whole is very slim. When he had a BMI of 19.5 in his late teens, he was bullied at school for being too skinny. Some people just aren't built to be "skinny" and look better with more weight. The reverse can also be true, of course.

Good luck with your decision.

Totally agree with the posters above - BMI is just a rough guideline and doesn't take into account body type or whether someone is very muscled. I think you have selected a realistic target and will feel fabulous when you get there! Don't worry about the numbers - just be guided by how you feel (after all, it's your body!).

a few years ago i got down to 16st , the weight i was at when i was a rugby forward, according to my BMI is was well into Obese, yet i had a resting heartrate of 60bpm and ran 20miles a week, and felt great and looked good too, BMI is just a quick way for doctors and insurance companies to catogaroise you without having to put much thought into it.

I just looked my BMI up and for my height it says i need to be 9.5 stones to be in the ideal bracket!!!!
I dont want to be anywhere near there if im honest.
I started this at 18 stone 9 lbs and set my target as 12 stones which i feel seems reasonable at the moment and also about 2 stones lighter than i have ever been in my adult life!
Does your target correspond with these chart thingys?

How did you work out your BMI as a matter of interest? That seemed low to me and when I put your height into the basic BMI calculator with a weight of 9 and a half stone it came out as a BMI of 21 - near the bottom end of the healthy range :confused:

I just though i'd throw this out there for you to think about. My gym trainer hates BMI's he says that they basically came about in either the first or second world war to decide whether men had enough muscle and capability to fight and should never really be used on a woman. x

Have to agree with the others about BMIs...rubbish!
Having lost almost 8 stone 7lbs, Im certainly a heck of a lot healthier than when I started!
Moomintrolljen, I am the same height and shoe size as you Hun! Im currently 13stone 2 and would like to go down to 10 stone, although realistically thinking about it, I would be happy around 11 stone. I've gone from a size 28/30 to a size 12, 14, 16 and have curves rather than over hangs!! Lol.
As the others have said Hun...go with what you feel you are happy with, rather than some figures that are way out of date.

xx

Thanks everyone!
Im gonna stick with the 12 stone goal for now and see what happens as i get closer.
Circes I found it on google by putting in bmi and a chart came up!

I'm 2" taller than you so can get away with weighing a little bit more for a healthy BMI, but when I lost weight before I started at 19st 5lbs & got down to 13st 3lbs. I was in size 14-16 clothes and honestly I felt so slim! My BMI would have been about 28 but I didn't care. As far as I was concerned it was the dog's doo dah's that I'd got down to as low as I got.

This time I'm going to aim for 12 stone (like you). My BMI will still be in the overweight range at 26, but I'll see how I fell when I get there. If, like before, I'm happy with that, then it'll do me. And this time there is no way on Earth I will allow the weight to creep back on. I'm going to carry on going to class until I'm 90!

I adjusted my goal today because I thought I was being unrealistic. It was giving me a BMI of 21.1 but thats silly for a woman who has had 3 massive babies and has enough skin to make a four man tent destined to be left over on her midriff.

LOL! I spat my coffee out at this!
As has been said BMI is outdated and not that accurate. Most of our elite atheletes would be classed as obese!

Good for you mummoth!
I honestly dont think ive even been 12 stone since i was about 15 so that is mega slim for me!! And to be honest last time i slimmed about 4 years ago i was 13.5 stones and i too looked really slim for me and loved it!!!
12 stone here i come.......eventually!

Back