BMI - Even at my target still shows overweight!

I think the BMI charts available are more like a guide, they dont tend to take into account build etc, Id look ridiculous at my "ideal BMI" - im not saying im "big Boned!" but i certainly dont have a very slight frame - i have a large chest and wide hips (even at my slimmest this has always been the case) so i tend not to get too hung up on BMI, as long as i look and feel good, thats all that matters!

can i ask a dumb question - i have not set my target with my SW consultant yet, but i thought it had to be in the BMI range??

Is this not the case?? can you set targets above the BMI?

I want to be in a healthy weight range, but have a long long way to go yet!

x

I don't go to a group, but I was under the impression that your target can be anything you want - it doesn't have to correspond with a healthy BMI weight. If it did then I would imagine that would put lots of pressure on people.

What I aiming for is also over my ideal BMI... I am 5ft7 and I am aiming for 13 stone for the time being. Ideally I will get down to 12 stone but I am aiming for 13 for the moment.

You can set your target at whatever you like. I started at SW at over 18 stone & have set mine at 14 for now. I know I want to get lower than that - to 12 stone - but that will do for a start, then I'll feel like I've achieved something!

I've been slim to the point my bones were jutting out all over the place and my BMI was still overweight. You could see my ribs and I was still a size 16. I'm just not cut out to fit in my BMI category!

Moo - we started off similar weights. My target is about 40lb heavier than yours. Remember, everyone is different. I weigh 2 stone more than my friend who wears the same size clothes than me AND she's the same height!

why did i think it had to be in BMI range - is that 'other' plans brainwashing me - or is it a loose rule? xxx

Ideal Body Weight Calculator - MyDietExercise.com

Is a site that does it slightly differently, it takes into account your bone structure and the weights are different to BMI, well for me they are. It's saying my ideal weight would be about 2 stone heavier than the silly BMI.

The other day I was talking to a friend about goal weights and he basically said I'd look stupid at my BMI healthy weight because my head's too big lol. He wasn't being nasty just honest. You know how you see incredibly skinny people and their heads look enormous well I think that would be me at BMI acceptable weight.

I'd not worry too much about your target weight until it's closing in. Go with when you feel comfortable and can do the things you want. :)

Ideal Body Weight Calculator - MyDietExercise.com

Is a site that does it slightly differently, it takes into account your bone structure and the weights are different to BMI, well for me they are. It's saying my ideal weight would be about 2 stone heavier than the silly BMI.

The other day I was talking to a friend about goal weights and he basically said I'd look stupid at my BMI healthy weight because my head's too big lol. He wasn't being nasty just honest. You know how you see incredibly skinny people and their heads look enormous well I think that would be me at BMI acceptable weight.

I'd not worry too much about your target weight until it's closing in. Go with when you feel comfortable and can do the things you want. :)

It told me I need to see my doctor :eek:

The heath checker has just told me I'm over weight by 4lbs at my target yet I have a healthy BMI

Mine says I am at my ideal weight. I wonder how reliable that wrist measuring thing is - I always thought I was large framed, but my wrists are tiny - so maybe not!!

That's interesting Laura. I did mine - got this.....

Ideal weight range is 154 - 169.4 lbs. (70 - 77 kg.).
You are overweight by 79.6 lbs. (36 kg.).
You may wish to consult with your physician for medical help.

I'll be right at the top of the range and I don't even plan on going any lower. At 170lb I look skinny - strange but true :D

I like that health checker thing. BUT. What if you have fat wrists, or naturally fatter fingers? Doesnt take that into account does it? Noooooo.

I like that health checker thing. BUT. What if you have fat wrists, or naturally fatter fingers? Doesnt take that into account does it? Noooooo.

No but if you can't wrap your wrist now as you lose weight you might be able to so if you have a large frame at 14 stone by the time you get to 10 you might need to readjust the target as your true body shows itself

A couple of years ago I was at the doctor, i mentioned that I would feel better if I lost a couple of stone. He said that I looed a nice healthy weight to him and I shouldn't worry. I told him that acording the the chart on HIS wall, I was slap bang in the middle of the 'overweight' category. He laughed and said to igtnore it. He said that as I ahd a smaller waist, and the weight I had was elsewhere, (huge arse and wobbly arms!!), that it would cause me no health problems, and that my waist was average. So I told him to get rid of his chart!!

No but if you can't wrap your wrist now as you lose weight you might be able to so if you have a large frame at 14 stone by the time you get to 10 you might need to readjust the target as your true body shows itself

Surely your "frame" doesnt change though? Its just covered with more or less padding. :D

Back