BrightAngel's Daily Diary

BrightAngel

Maintaining 7 years
Today I am restarting JUDDD. There are 53 days left in 2009, and I am hoping to continue with this through the end of the year. I'm starting with an UP day, and have arranged my schedule so that my big 4 Holiday Celebrations are all on UP days.

My goal for UP days will be a maximum of 1300 calories.
My goal for Down Days will be a maximum of 300 calories.

This would total a daily 800 calorie average. Since my total daily calorie burn is around 1100 calories, that should give me about a 300 calorie daily deficit, for a potential fat loss of 1/2 lb per week. ...Plus some additional salt/water/waste loss.

This would total a daily 800 calorie average. Since my total daily calorie burn is around 1100 calories, that should give me about a 300 calorie daily deficit, for a potential fat loss of 1/2 lb per week. ...Plus some additional salt/water/waste loss.
You may find you lose more on that few calories. 1/2lb a week isnt much? Overall on here we seem to have 1-2lb loss on aprox 500 and 2500 calories. You may be surprised and lose a bigger amount:D

God only 53 days left :eek: where has the year gone. With that in mind Im determined to lose the lbs!

Good luck with it all hun x

You may find you lose more on that few calories. 1/2lb a week isnt much? Overall on here we seem to have 1-2lb loss on aprox 500 and 2500 calories. You may be surprised and lose a bigger amount
The idea behind any kind of alternate day eating plan is that it works because if one eats within reason during UP days, one's average calorie intake (which is your UP day total added to your DOWN day total) divided by 2, will be low enough to lose weight.

One needs to take into consideration, sex, height, weight, and age.
I am only 5"0 inches tall, and over age 60.
My current weight is 121, but my "stabilized" weight (minus the current extra salt/water/waste I'm carrying right now) is probably around 118 or 119. These numbers give the average woman (of my age, size, and activity level) a daily burn rate of around 1300 - 1400 calories.

However, I have been keeping accurate food records every day for several years in a computer software journal and have a large personal data base. Due to this, I know that during the entire past year my average daily calorie intake has been around just under 1100 calories...AND I have slowly gained a couple of pounds on this.

NOTE: Also my body may operate bit differently than most, due to the fact that I have been maintaining a very large weight loss for the past 4 years. There is almost zero scientific research on this issue.

I usually lose at least a few pounds of salt/water/waste weight the first week of any kind of diet...which of course, returns at the end of the diet. However, what I am looking for is fat loss, per science: 3500 calories equals 1 fat lb. I've had a great deal of experience in dieting, including alternate day plans, and have kept excellent records of my food intake and weight results. According to "Science" an average of 800 calories would give me a 300 calorie daily deficit...which is supposed to result in 1/2 lb fat loss per week.

My current problem is that decreased calorie intake and increased exercise hasn't done much for me here at "normal" weight during this past year. In fact this year my body seems to be defying the laws of science. However, I am hoping that this is only a temporary thing, and some reasonable weight loss will kick in for me soon. I've had success with JUDDD in the past, and I hope to succeed with it again.

Day 1 completed, Starting Day 2

Yesterday was an UP day, and my calorie total was 1283...which was right on for my goal of a maximum of 1300 calories.

Today is a DOWN day, and I'm going for a maximum of 300 calories (which is about 23% of the UP day total) I'm going to start my day with a 53 calorie Protein cookie that I make in the microwave. For those interested, here is the recipe:

Protein Peanut Butter Cookie
2 TB (1/2 scoop) French Vanilla Designer Whey Protein Powder
1 TB Bell Plantation defatted dry Peanut Butter Powder
1 TB Torani or DaVinci sugar free Vanilla syrup
1 pkg Splenda

Spray 1/2 cup microwavable bowl with butter flavored non-stick coating.
Put protein powder, dry peanut butter and splenda into bowl
and mix together with the tip of a tableknife.
Add 1 TB sugar free syrup and mix together.
Place bowl in microwave and heat full-power for 1 minute.
Run tableknife around edge of bowl,
invert it and dump cookie onto saucer.

Calories: 54
Protein: 9.72 grams

Last edited:
Hey there!

Well.. I know you can do it! :)

However, if you find you are struggling with those numbers.... Just know you can bring your DD calories up to 500.... and your UD calories up to 2000ish... Or whatever you want..... Dr. Johnson has it set so that you can have 500ish calories a day......

Do whatever works for you! :) :D :)

YOU CAN DO IT! :)

Hey there!

Well.. I know you can do it! :)

However, if you find you are struggling with those numbers.... Just know you can bring your DD calories up to 500.... and your UD calories up to 2000ish... Or whatever you want..... Dr. Johnson has it set so that you can have 500ish calories a day......

Do whatever works for you! :) :D :)

YOU CAN DO IT! :)
Thanks for the Support.
BTW, UP day 2000 and Down day 500 equals an average calorie intake of 1250 per day.
Most younger women of average size or larger will lose weight on that number. Unfortunately, that is at least 150 calories a day more than my current burn...including my activity factor percentage, even with my low-impact exercise and strength training..., so over time I, personally, would definitely not lose weight on that number.

Up day today, Yesterday Down day.

My first Down Day of this round of JUDDD went well.
I ate very small amounts throughout the entire day.
This is what I ate:

1 protein peanut butter cookie: 54 calories
2 oz raw Sugar Snap Peas: 26 calories
1 indiv pkg (3/4 oz) 50% reduced fat cheddar cheese: 50 calories
1/2 cup plain Total 0% Fage greek Yogurt: 60 calories
2 BBQ potato chips: 23 calories
1 container of sugar-free Jello: 10 calories
1 fish-oil pill w/ my daily vitimin pill: 10 calories
TOTAL 341 calories

well done on your dd
hopefully eating little and often will keep your metabolism up
do you exercise much during the week

hope you enjoy this round of juddd and you get from it what you need

Well done, great going on your dd x

do you exercise much during the week
I am over 60 years old, and I am in good health, needing no medication.
Due to my age and physical ability, I can do only Low-Impact Exercise, along with a bit of light strength training.
Now that I've retired, I live a rather sedentary life in general.
However, for the past several years my pattern is to do from between 30 minutes to 2 hours of Low-Impact exercise for 5 to 7 days a week, which comes to about an average of around an 1 hr per day every week. I use myTreadmill; free-style Gazelle; stationary Bicycle; and exercise DVD's such as "Walk Away the Pounds".

At the beginning of this year I bought a BodyBugg, like they wear on the TV show, "The Biggest Loser" which is...at present...the most accurate tool to measure one's individual movement outside a Labratory. (cost around $300). I wore it on my left upper arm every day for 6 months this year, from February to August and kept close track of my details. According to that instrument, my actual movements created an activity percentage (to be added to my Basil Metabolism rate) between 1.5%. and 1.6%..which the charts call "moderate activity" or "very active".
During that entire period my average calorie intake was only around 1100 calories.

According to the BodyBugg calculations...which are based on the Harris/Benedict formula re sex, age, height, weight....for my food intake and my exercise, I "should have" lost around a minimum of 11 lbs during the 6 month period. However, my weight stayed about the same. I lost zero net lbs, gaining and losing the same few lbs over and over...as my body has tended to do the past 4 years in Maintenance. The BodyBugg counselor said it was impossible, and of course she believed that I must be keeping inaccurate records of my food intake.

I share this information as a partial explanation as to WHY I am fairly certain I have a very low metabolism, and that additional exercise will do very little to increase my basic MR numbers.
By the Way, this past year, I've not done much alternate day eating, so I'm feeling hopeful that getting back to JUDDD will cause me to drop a bit lower into my Maintenance Range.

Last edited:
Yesterday's UP day went well.

I feel that yesterday's UP day was successful.
I ate a bit above my Maintenance Level, but my day's calorie Total was 1356.

This morning is another Down Day.
I am feeling Hopeful. :innocent0002:

Yesterday's DD was successful.

Yesterday's DD was successful,
as I'm going for Excellence, not Perfection.
Here's what I ate:
Multi-vitamin and fish oil pil: 10 calories
1 Protein Peanut Butter Cookie: 54 calories
3 ounces Sugar Snap Peas: 39 calories
4 raw mushrooms: 12 calories
w/ 1 tsp pizza sauce and 1/4 tsp parmesian cheese: 9 calories
1/4 cup Total 0% Fage Greek Yogurt: 30 calories
1 TB Grape-Nuts: 25 calories
1/6 cup raw sliced cucumbers: 1 calorie
1 Protein Chocolate Cookie: 52 calories
1 Egg Custard (1/12 recipe): 20 calories
1 cup Cabbage Soup: 63 calories
1 saltine cracker: 12 calories
1 container sugar-free Jello Gelatin: 10 calories
0.8 oz of Almond Joy candy bar: 108 calories
Total Day's Calories 445
(Protein 38.3 grams)

I need to Watch Out.

Today is an UP day. :gimi:

Up Day Results

Yesterday's UP day was successful.
It was a relatively normal (higher) Maintenance day,
and my calorie total came to 1383.
Although 1300 is a bit above my daily burn
.....according to my past year's detailed food records data...,
I'm still using it as a Guideline for my Up days. :angeldevil:

Glad it's going well x

Yesterday's DD successful.

Yesterday's Down Day was successful,
although I felt especially Hungry all day.
My day's total came to 360 calories. (46.5 grams Protein)
Here is what I ate:
Code:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]1 Protein Peanut Butter Cookie: (54 calories)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]1 oz Sugar Snap Peas: (13 calories)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]4 raw mushrooms: (12 calories) w/ 1 tsp pizza sauce: (4) & 1/4 tsp parmesan cheese: (2)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]2 small sugar-free, milk-free, egg white egg custards: (40 calories)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]1/4 cup packaged egg-whites (eggbeaters): (30 calories); w/ 1 Tb onion; 4 calories and 1/4 cup mushrooms; (3); and 1 Tb green bell pepper: (1); topped with 3/4 oz pkg 50% reduced fat cheddar cheese: (50) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]1 Protein Chocolate Cookie: (52) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]1 cup homemade cabbage soup: (63) & 1 saltine cracker: (12) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]1 container sugar-free jello gelatin: (10)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Multi-vitamin & fish oil pil: (10 calories)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
Hi BrightAngel
You seem to know your body and your own individual burn very well after many years experience. Like you I am 5 ft also and it has amazed me how few caloires are really needed to keep this body going and how few extra have made me fat. Sure I have overeaten but not glutton-like so I imagine I have a similar rate to you but perhaps a bit more of 1350-1500 or so with my work schedule activity. I notice that I have to keep my DD to around 350 to make any considerable impact.
I am interested as to how you lost over 50% body weight in the first place - that is an outstanding achievement. I saw 'The Biggest Loser' for the first time while in the US last week - very addictive tele! Good luck with your continued JUDDDing.

Back