C25K beginners - struggle with W1D1

Ran 5K on the treadmill last night - 35mins 09 secs. Alternating jogging and running a bit faster, only walked the warm up. :):)

Then came home and fell asleep on the sofa!! :(:(

Missed going out as I was too late - not good. Pout pout!!

Mission tomorrow to run the same but outside!!

Well done everyone for your progress!! xx

Last edited:
HannahNewton said:
Ran 5K on the treadmill last night - 35mins 09 secs. Alternating jogging and running a bit faster, only walked the warm up. :):)

Than came home and fell asleep on the sofa!! :(:(

Missed going out as I was too late - not good. Pout pout!!

Mission tomorrow to run the same but outside!!

Well done everyone for your progress!! xx

Well done! That's brill! Atleast you did your run BEFORE you fell asleep unlike me, who never who got to run cos I fell asleep :(

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

W2D3 completed!! Not sure how I'll complete a 3 minute run next week because 90 seconds was hard going today.

I thought that sleepy but now I'm up to w5d2. Ran 2x 8 mins this morning, but like you found 1.5 minutes tough and I even had to take extra breaks. It's amazing how much your body can do, but I can't believe that I'll be able to do anywhere near the next 20 mins :/. It's my legs they feel like lead weights.
Well done sleepy

Well I finished work at 7pm and went for a jog round the block-did about 1.5 miles-just took it nice and slowly as it's been 3 weeks. Feel ok to be honest-and am gonna do wk4 d1 tomorrow after work :) watch this space

Sleepy59 said:
W2D3 completed!! Not sure how I'll complete a 3 minute run next week because 90 seconds was hard going today.

Have faith in yourself, your ability and the program Hun! :)

Question: Does anyone know how fast you have to run on the treadmill to complete 5K in 30 mins?

Question: Does anyone know how fast you have to run on the treadmill to complete 5K in 30 mins?

10kmph

(which is bloody fast)

actually I was in the gym today and saw a bloke doing 12kmph... looked like he was moonwalking... freak. lololol :p

I tried doing some walking but I've ballsed up my body again. My knee is playing up and my hip is feeling odd... again. I had this a few years ago where I'm walking and it feels like my hip is snapping back into place. I had it so severely at a point that I couldn't walk at all. Wish it would go away!

I was on the treadmill doing 5kmph...had to stop on numerous occasions and that would be a relatively normal walk speed for me. Even at my worst level of fitness I've not had to stop dead at that speed :( GAH

10kmph

(which is bloody fast)

actually I was in the gym today and saw a bloke doing 12kmph... looked like he was moonwalking... freak. lololol :p

I tried doing some walking but I've ballsed up my body again. My knee is playing up and my hip is feeling odd... again. I had this a few years ago where I'm walking and it feels like my hip is snapping back into place. I had it so severely at a point that I couldn't walk at all. Wish it would go away!

I was on the treadmill doing 5kmph...had to stop on numerous occasions and that would be a relatively normal walk speed for me. Even at my worst level of fitness I've not had to stop dead at that speed :( GAH

Bless you - take it easy and rest a few days before pushing yourself any more. xx

hannah said:

Ouch, take it as slowly as you need to. Your body is too important to mess up by not listening to what the pain is telling you. x

C25K Jogging outside done!! :) :)

Dog is no longer my training partner!!

Got my headphones tangled up with his lead, had to stop for poop scooping and he kept crossing my path!!
Oh, and my phone app got re-set to zero so not sure how long I ran for, felt like hours!?!

A busy park on a Sunday is not the best venue. Will try without him next weekend and do treadmill in the week after work.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!! xx

HannahNewton said:
C25K Jogging outside done!! :) :)

Dog is no longer my training partner!!

Got my headphones tangled up with his lead, had to stop for poop scooping and he kept crossing my path!! Oh, and my phone app got re-set to zero so not sure how long I ran for, felt like hours!?!

A busy park on a Sunday is not the best venue. Will try without him next weekend and do treadmill in the week after work.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!! xx

Lol, I have the same problem with my dog!! Despite telling him he had to wait until I had finished my run before he got to do his business!

I invested in some Bluetooth headphones, which made a huge difference, no more tangled wires.

10kmph

(which is bloody fast)

I go at that speed on the treadmill - prob not outside although I think I'm speeding up there too. I've had so much trouble with injuries and niggles and I find speeding up a little seems to improve all that. It also feels great! My last run on the treadmill was 8 mins at 10kph, 7 mins at 10.5kph and the last minute at 11kph - which felt amazing - actually like flying! I'm no lightweight and feel I'm a naturally slow runner, so if I can do it.... :flirt2:

Today, though was my last week 5 run outside - 20 minutes off road. I kind of timed it wrong, so on the last 5 minutes I was going up a steep hill which nearly killed me. However, this was the point I got injured last time and so far so good so I'm ready to finally start Week 6 tomorrow!

W6D1 on the treadmill which meant fast again! Middle 8 mins at 10.5 and last minute at 11, the rest a mix of 10 and 10.5. New (reduced from £80 to £20) shoes which passed their first test with flying colours. A tough run though. I'm thinking now to maybe put some gradient on the treadmill before I go any faster... Will prob do W6D2 on the treadmill as well and then the last long run outside.

Well done everyone.

Hannata - hope you've been resting.

Wk6d2 done last night. Nervous about the 25min tomorrow even though I managed the 20min one ok last week! x :rolleyes:

Gosh you do run fast Sunshine!

I did wk 6 d1 today on the treadmill this morning :)

Just Jools, I'm sure you will do great. Good luck and enjoy that fantastic feeling when you finish it!!! :)

W6D1 on the treadmill which meant fast again! Middle 8 mins at 10.5 and last minute at 11, the rest a mix of 10 and 10.5. New (reduced from £80 to £20) shoes which passed their first test with flying colours. A tough run though. I'm thinking now to maybe put some gradient on the treadmill before I go any faster... Will prob do W6D2 on the treadmill as well and then the last long run outside.

Wow! Thats fast compared to me!!

Where did you buy your new running shoes? I went to look for some the other day in a Tri-athlete store near where I work. The assistant tried to sell me shoes for £269!! Nice try!! :):)

I think after my RFL, I will go back to start of C25K and do each run faster on the treadmill. At the moment if I increase my speed too much I lose stamina. I find the treadmill has less impact on my knees and hips. What do you think?

I can comfortably jog/run for 35-40 mins but not fast.

Wow! Thats fast compared to me!!

Where did you buy your new running shoes? I went to look for some the other day in a Tri-athlete store near where I work. The assistant tried to sell me shoes for £269!! Nice try!! :):)

I think after my RFL, I will go back to start of C25K and do each run faster on the treadmill. At the moment if I increase my speed too much I lose stamina. I find the treadmill has less impact on my knees and hips. What do you think?

I can comfortably jog/run for 35-40 mins but not fast.

Shoes were MandM Direct.com. There are a lot of websites where you can get a model that's a year or two old super-reduced, so you're getting all that lovely technology for a song! I've bought a few pairs online now and always seem to need to go at least a size bigger than my street shoes.

If you can run for 40 minutes I think it might be a bit counter-productive to go right back to the beginning of C25K to try to build up your speed. All the serious runner types(!) seem to favour tempo runs - eg. you jog along, then really cane it for a minute or so, then do a slightly slower bit, and so on. That's what I would do if I were you, I think. That said, what I'm doing is really pushing it speedwise on the treadmill because the treadmill is so easy on the joints etc. Also it does help alleviate treadmill boredom! I go outside for the long runs and just follow how I feel - so some days are slow and steady and on others I go quicker if I still have something left in the tank. There is something very intoxicating about running faster than you've ever done before - I'll be trying a few more minutes at 11kph tomorrow just for the kick(!) - but I (we) must be careful not to overdo it - they always say increase speed or mileage (time) but not both at the same time, and only in small increments.

Let me know how you get on!

xx

Back