Can you visualise youself as a slim person?

I think I will be ok being thinner, but who knows, I havent been for ages and there is a reason I have kept myself so fat all these years
I have managed to get down to 14 and a half several times over the years and then managed to convince myself to stop as I look ok.
It will not happen this time, I will get down to a healthy BMI, I will get down to a slim weight and not rely on weight to protect me.
I might need a little help from my minimins friends to get over that hurdle. Mmmmmm.

I have been slim a couple of times (8 stone at one point!) and never saw myself as slim.
There are some other mental blocks as well - I got a lot of male attention and to be honest I didn't like it. I have been a 12/14 most of my life since I was about 13 and it's not that I don't get attention at this size, but it tends to edit out the men who just want a blonde on their arm...
I am hoping that since I am settled in a relationship it won't be as scary for me to be a size 8 this time...

I think I will be ok being thinner, but who knows, I havent been for ages and there is a reason I have kept myself so fat all these years
I have managed to get down to 14 and a half several times over the years and then managed to convince myself to stop as I look ok.

I've done the exact same! I self saboutage when I get so far :eek: I won't be doing it this time either ;)

mmmm, seems like a common theme, I remember my mum saying she felt vulnerable when thinner, probably why she was overweight all of her life, i think it runs in the family, i certainly got more male attention at size12/14 and your right, as you get bigger it edits out people who only judge on looks, so if people like me now I know it's me (if they can see me under all the lard!)
But I am ready for being thinner, even if I have to remind myself all the time I have lost weight.

I know exactly what you mean! I'm ready to be thinner now too :) I've finally sussed what I've been doing and there's absolutely no need for it. I'm a much stronger person that I give myself credit for lol.

It really is hard getting used to all that extra male attention. I still feel like saying "are you taking the pi$$?" when someone chats me up!

What I found really weird is that normally if some guy starts chatting me up and we don't really "click", they'll give up and go away, but when I've been slim they just persist! It's like "sod off!"
That's one of the good things about a bit of chub, it puts off a few of the ar*eholes!

I have just noticed this thread, ha. I am having trouble seeing what i used to look like because i used to kid myself that i was thinner than i was. it's how i ended up as fat as i was because i was in denial that i had an eating problem. now i see pics of myself a couple of stone ago and i can't believe i let myself get there. and i see pics of myself and think 'you don't look half bad'. unfortunately i'm only half way towards where i want to be and i can feel the edge i had slipping because now i'm in more 'normal' sizes i don't feel the same urgency as i did. even though i still have two dress sizes to go at least...

abz xx

Can you visualise youself as a slim person? ... To answer simply, no! I have NEVER been thin in my entire 41 years so just cannot imagine it! I get fascinated at the moment when I suck my cheeks in & they actually suck in, ha! And no more piggy eyes!!

i used to kid myself that i was thinner than i was. it's how i ended up as fat as i was because i was in denial that i had an eating problem.

Abz, I had the same problem, I was very deluded. Just recently I have looked in the mirror and I have woken up to the fact that I am actually larger then I think I am in my head. However I realised that I can be the person that I imagined I was and this has kick started me to do something about it.

the problem i am battling against now is that i am a size 18 and feeling like a normal size. thing is, now i'm getting used to it i can see that i'm still overweight. i felt thin for a while in comparison to what i had been. so now i need to get cracking again. my brain hates me. i've decided :D hee.

abz xx

I can't see myself as a slim person.

I, honestly, do not recognise my reflection / pictures of me and it kinda scares me...

I know what you mean. It is very confusing. We seem to have the ability not to admit it to ourselves when we become very overweight - even though we have to buy huge clothes and end up wearing almost totally black trousers or skirts and avoiding having our photo taken. Then - marvellous - we lose all this weight - and can't believe what the clothes size and mirror tells us. Aren't we complicated?

i have always been big.. i think the only time I have ever been small was when i was born at 5lbs!

I can imagine a slim me though, even though I never have been. I would love to be a curvy size 14 or 16, just so I could shop in places like Primark! It kills me that I see so many gorgeous clothes and I know I dont even have to walk in the shop to find if they have my size as I am limited to MKone (which only ever has awful grandma-style larger sizes when i visit!) New Look, Evans.. its literally just dawning on me now how few shops I actually buy clothes from..

I can't ever see myself as slim. I've always been fat. Now, I'm a size 10, but I still feel fat, and still look it when I look in the mirror. :\

Ditto.
Sometimes I see that I'm thin now....mainly see the lumps and bumps..

^It annoys me to no end. I'm more self conscious now than I was at my biggest.

The fact I'm surrounded by tiny size 6-8 girls probably doesn't help...

Try not to compare yourself to those around you, It won't come to any good.
I can't tell you what to do for the best without being a hypocrite. But I can tell you what to avoid doing...from a hell of a lot of experience.
Don't try to fit in....be yourself, don't ever let yourself believe that appearance is more important than health and happiness...extreme dieting will rob you of your faculties...may sound weird, but if you don't allow yourself enough nutrition you will become emotionally unstable and probably depressed....
vicious cycle......

Having delivered that lecture....from your previous posts, you seem a hell of a lot more sensible than I was at your age!!!! Just keep things in perspective :)

Reactions: Taz
^I know. :) I try not to let it get me down; we're not all supposed to be the same size or shape, and I know half the girls that size won't stay the same way forever. It's just annoying they can be small effortlessly, while we have to make so much effort. It'll pay off though; always does. :)

Back