Cathys Dukan diary

I made my own crossants once and it put me off because of the amount of butter in them! I spent hours making about 8 croissants only for the gannets to demolish them in about 30 seconds flat!

no chips Jo? Hot home made ones with mayo mmmmmm

Yes I wonder if we made everything like croissants and pastries from scratch whether we would think again about eating them?

I'm not really a pastry fan, just make an exception for fruit tarts which I do love now and again. Anyway, to confirm the theory - to please my husband I made butteries (rowies) - google if you have no idea what I'm on about - and it's about 350 gr of fat for 500 gr of flour. Then you roll it out, sometimes raw lard oozes on the rolling pin. I've never liked them but like them even less now. He's asking for them again too...

i googled they dont look particularly appetising!

I'm not really a pastry fan, just make an exception for fruit tarts which I do love now and again. Anyway, to confirm the theory - to please my husband I made butteries (rowies) - google if you have no idea what I'm on about - and it's about 350 gr of fat for 500 gr of flour. Then you roll it out, sometimes raw lard oozes on the rolling pin. I've never liked them but like them even less now. He's asking for them again too...

If it's rowies like I know them they're a staple for breakfast where I live - and usually you warm them or grill them and then put butter on top so that it seeps through and just makes sure you're totally clogging your arteries! Am ashamed to say I quite like them ........ :eek:

If it's rowies like I know them they're a staple for breakfast where I live - and usually you warm them or grill them and then put butter on top so that it seeps through and just makes sure you're totally clogging your arteries! Am ashamed to say I quite like them ........ :eek:

Ooh, where are you? I'm from Aberdeenshire originally. We can pass secret messages to each other in Doric:D.

(Years ago, my Dad put butter AND syrup on his - he was a GP but wasn't great at following his own advice...)

They sound fabulous to me! I love pastries... I love buttery croissants...

Vicky - nope. Chips... couldn't give a fig! The other half bought us a deep fat fryer before his family came (note HE bought it - I've never needed one in 45 years, so...!).

So cross this morning. I put on 5lbs, I think a lot of it is water because the other day was at 191 so dont believe its really that much. I am having a horrid TOTM too plus my cold is still lurking and the cough hasnt gone,last night was the first night I hadnt been woken up with coughing. I think I had a chest infection, but didnt do anything about it. I dont mind , I'm not an antibiotic fan, but it just means it takes longer to clear. I have walked loads this week too.
SO my aim this week is to go on attack tomorrow, maybe today if meat defrosts in time, I have plenty eggs in but not much yogurt.
The other aim is to not let it get me down. I have such a sore tummy though today, I can hear it gurgling.
So yes thats me first fail. So blooming mad too.

you know something bubblemum i think a week on attack and u will be back on track !!

good luck hun !!

will Jet, infact I am looking forward to it lol

im sure ita a blip hun believe me we all have them *slaps own wrist for yesterday *

and you will do just fine !!!! lol and i do enjoy being on attack !!

So cross this morning. I put on 5lbs, I think a lot of it is water because the other day was at 191 so dont believe its really that much. I am having a horrid TOTM too plus my cold is still lurking and the cough hasnt gone,last night was the first night I hadnt been woken up with coughing. I think I had a chest infection, but didnt do anything about it. I dont mind , I'm not an antibiotic fan, but it just means it takes longer to clear. I have walked loads this week too.
SO my aim this week is to go on attack tomorrow, maybe today if meat defrosts in time, I have plenty eggs in but not much yogurt.
The other aim is to not let it get me down. I have such a sore tummy though today, I can hear it gurgling.
So yes thats me first fail. So blooming mad too.

I'm bloated and sore today too, Cathy - fun weekend ahead :sigh:. Lucky my weigh-in was yesterday or I reckon I'd be in the same boat. Plus if you had a PV day yesterday that retains loads of water (I always do PP before weigh-in).

Also if you've done loads of walking, you've probably traded fat for muscle (and muscle weighs more). If you're ill your body has maybe been trying to hang on to your reserves too.

I bet next week will show a huge loss for you.

If you're still feeling the effects of your chest infection Cathy - perhaps try some Echinacea....

speaking as a sufferer of chest infections and a disliker of antibiotics :) they work and you can get them in supermarkets now! :)

193 this morning so should be ok for next week.
I think the most difficult thing about this diet is making it work out with your own life , if you get what I mean. If I stayed at home and never went out it would be really easy, but trying to combine it with a social life, it quite difficult. Still hopefully once I get myself into some sort of routine, things will be much easier.

191 this morning, think it was actually 191.8 but its going the right direction anyway, feel much better about it today, (damn TOTM).
So having a PP day as usual(Monday to Thursday) so I should be on target for Friday I so want to be under 190. I am going to reward myself by looking for some new comfy winter boots. I have promised myself if I am good all week then I can start looking. I need a new pair of trousers/jeans too. Dont know what size to get though

I'm glad to see you're back in the zone...

Re social life - I hear you... when you eat out socially, is it more at friends' houses or at restaurants?

If restaurants - are there any Dukan friendly options available at the restaurants you regularly frequent? (steak/salad... omelette... if Japanese, go for sashimi and tell them to hold the rice...

If it's willpower issues at ordering time you have problems with (like me!), I've now learned to check out the menu beforehand, decide what I'm having, let a friend order for me and not even consult the menu if I'm feeling wobbly! Or, be sure to order first, before you hear what delights your mates are going to be taunting their arteries with!

If it's eating at other people's houses, that's easy... either forewarn your friend so that she adapts things for you (I'm always amazed at how readily people offer to do that for me!), OR take your own/eat first etc etc... I usually opted for the forewarning idea, offering to bring my own, but rarely being taken up on it!

Its usually at friends houses, its not been that bad really but I only need to look at food and its stuck to my hips. I try and eat more meat and veg and skip pud, but its usually only us that are there I feel really bad when somebody has gone to lots of trouble to make food and I dont eat it. It doesnt help that everybody else seems to be thin and eats a lot lol.
I just take a tiny amount and say how delicious it was over and over. Then hope the scales are kind to me the next Friday.
I dont like saying I am on a diet either, I feel this diet is right for me and the low fat low carb really works so its no a diet in the sense that when I have lost weight the diet will end. I just want to eat normally, and most of the time eat low fat/carb, then when I go out I can eat some of everything and not worry I will have put on half a stone over night, but I guess thats conso and its in the future.
I dont find it difficult choosing food when I am out, its just I hate the fact that if I do have a bowl of ice cream or a slice of birthday cake it sort of ruins the whole week, thats what I find difficult.
But I will get used to it. this is how it is from now on.

Given your last few posts, are you sure this sort of diet is for you Cathy? Because unfortunately yes each and every deviation will take you out of ketosis and result in a weight hike... that's the downside of high protein/low carb diets unfortunately...

I personally found it "easier" when I was doing the diet wholeheartedly to get my weight off with NO extras. Having a few makes for a rocky ride, I'm finding! And of course being out of ketosis means one's hungrier and more likely to be tempted so it's a vicious circle all round...

Back