Green Day Cheese scones. Free on green.

ILoveCake said:
We've started a scone revolution lol. I love seeing all the pics of the scones people have made. I need to make more and jazz up with veges and herbs.

Sausage, I'm loving the baby bell idea, I wonder if you could just place a whole complete baby bell inside a largish scone so it melts and goes stringy in the middle when you bite into it.

I will upload my pics before scoffed tonight :D x

3 little words - Oh. My. God.

These are absolutely de-bloody-licious! Made 7 scones out the mix but could have made more smaller ones. Had it with chilli spiced beef slow cooker casserole and even the OH was like wow! He scoffed 3 and wanted more but I warned him they would be filling (from an earlier post).

If you haven't tried them yet, get on it now! Am going to have the leftovers tomorrow with beans and onions.

image-919729326.jpg

Ok guys i was dead excited to make these scones, kept to the basic recipie although i didnt weigh the smash as i only had half a packet and that would be aprox 100g.
They look lovely and golden, but on their own they are quite dry, is that normal or do you think i have added too much smash?
I prefere them cold and i had some to dip into my soup which i really enjoyed.
For those of you who dont cook ( like me ) they are super easy to do, and if, like me you miss your bread to dunk into your soup they are great. i made 12 out of my mix and have frozen portions of 3 as i found 3 were plenty to have with my soup:D

I am going to join you mcv in the mini dumplings for soup. Bought some lentils other day and the recipe for lentil soup sounds too easy. But I miss bread with soup so fingers crossed these will be my new replacement! X

Ok guys i was dead excited to make these scones, kept to the basic recipie although i didnt weigh the smash as i only had half a packet and that would be aprox 100g.
They look lovely and golden, but on their own they are quite dry, is that normal or do you think i have added too much smash?

I used an 88g pack of Smash and a 300g box of cottage cheese. Probably about 50-75ml water as a I kneaded it a bit.

I'm attempting some more at the moment. This time I've added grated cheese, lazy garlic and mixed herbs made small balls. Hope they turn out like garlic dough balls. Fingers crossed x

Caldil said:
I'm attempting some more at the moment. This time I've added grated cheese, lazy garlic and mixed herbs made small balls. Hope they turn out like garlic dough balls. Fingers crossed x

Not the same as real dough balls but not that far off. Worth a try though as they are still yummy x

just made cobbler made my topping with a packet of mr mash 3 eggs and a tub of cottage cheese they where lovely

I've just made 6 off these out of the original recipe, oh my god they are sooo delicious, going to take some to work tomorrow with speedy tomatoe soup for my lunch. Really pleased with how nice they were, wernt dry at all. May play about next time and make garlic ones with plain cottage cheese, yum
Yum .

i sometimes add onion granuals for a change

juejon said:
i sometimes add onion granuals for a change

That sounds tasty, I've got some in my cupboard. I think next I make some I'll add some and a bit of grated mature cheddar! Mmmm

Had these twice now - as dumplings on a beef stew, and to have with Ermintrude's syn free jalapeno hummus today. I flattened them down quite a bit so I could spread the hummus on them. Yum, yum.

Now, I think someone has already mentioned it above, but as tomorrow is Saturday I have to say it again ..... PIZZA BASE! The mix would be great as a pizza base. I'm thinking cook it first, then add the toppings, or maybe just cook it for 10 - 15 mins, then add toppings and back into the oven for a further 5 mins or so. Meat toppings cooked first separately.

Hmmm, will need to experiment. Sadly will have to eat all the experiments until I perfect the recipe! :giggle:

Moonwatcher - search Smash pizza base

Hi Jodieboo,

I have tried the potato base once before, but wasn't very keen tbh. Mind you, it was a while ago, and I think it used real mash, so perhaps I'll experiment with it again and see. I think I would like this mix better though as it seems to be very 'doughy.' Might just have to suffer and eat plenty of SW pizzas 'til I find the one I like best!:D

Moonwatcher - search Smash pizza base

Ive done Smash pizza base before and thought it was cr@ppe tbh, but thats just my personal preferences :D I think this would make a better, more 'real' pizza base? I think Ill have a go this week :)

I've just made the scones and they are very tasty. I think I'll add some mustard powder next time. They will be great with syn free onion chutney. Thanks for the great idea.

Back