Green Day Cheese scones. Free on green.

I have made mine with regular cream cheese loads black pepper and going to put them on top of a vegetable stew with grated cheese on top, will post photo later. Any idea how long to cook for? the stew will be cooked and wont make the scones too fat?

OMG lush lush lush,

I made these with 3 HE a's cream cheese and 2x28g cheese.salt and pepper.
I have decided to divide meal by 3 and have 1 hex and 4 syns per portion.
I made up the mash with eggs and cream cheese and put in fridge to cool like you do pastry. Then put it between 2 sheets of clingwrap and rolled out.
Placed on top of vegetarian casserole and sprinkled with grated cheese. Baked for 30 mins.
20120119210137.jpg
[/URL[/IMG]
[/URL

Thanks so much for the original recipe, will be a firm favorite.

peacedove said:
I used the cheese scone's as a topping for my quorn cassarole last night, used plain cottage cheese, tesco's value smash (20p a go) and added some mixed herbs....yummy....just the thing after a dissapointing gain in WI....almost felt guilty after eating, it was that good how can it possibly be all free!!! I am looking forward to trying it with the flavoured cottage cheese and maybe a little cheese, make a lovely lunch with a super speedy soup....which I will be eating a lot of next week to try and make up for my gain this week.

Do you have a recipe for super speedy soup ??

Reporting in on using the labne in this recipe instead of cream cheese... :drool::drool::drool:

I used my garlic, herb and chilli labne - didn't actually measure the amount, was probably about 250g. I just mixed up the scone mixture as usual and then added a little milk and water to get to the consistency I wanted. I made half into cheese straw size and half into 'Twiglets.'

Oh YUUUUUMMMMMMM! The cheese straw ones were good, but the 'twiglets' - Oh my oh my oh my! :drool::drool::drool:

I added about two teaspoons of marmite to half of the total mix, and mixed it in thoroughly, then took a ball about the size of a golf ball, flattened it down and then cut it into thin strips. They were a bit fiddly, but when they were cooked to quite crispy they were superb! My labne was quite strong for garlic and chilli flavour, so if you had a milder tasting labne you could put in more marmite.

I made them for tomorrow night in front of the TV, but I don't think they will be around that long! :devilangel:

Reporting in on using the labne in this recipe instead of cream cheese... :drool::drool::drool:

I used my garlic, herb and chilli labne - didn't actually measure the amount, was probably about 250g. I just mixed up the scone mixture as usual and then added a little milk and water to get to the consistency I wanted. I made half into cheese straw size and half into 'Twiglets.'

Oh YUUUUUMMMMMMM! The cheese straw ones were good, but the 'twiglets' - Oh my oh my oh my! :drool::drool::drool:

I added about two teaspoons of marmite to half of the total mix, and mixed it in thoroughly, then took a ball about the size of a golf ball, flattened it down and then cut it into thin strips. They were a bit fiddly, but when they were cooked to quite crispy they were superb! My labne was quite strong for garlic and chilli flavour, so if you had a milder tasting labne you could put in more marmite.

I made them for tomorrow night in front of the TV, but I don't think they will be around that long! :devilangel:

A-hem, they have all er... gone! :whistle:

A-hem, they have all er... gone! :whistle:

Thinking about this from the 'food abuse' side of things... the amount of this I made into 'twiglets' was the same as I usually make as dumplings. As part of a meal, with all the superfree and free etc., I struggle to eat all my share of the dumplings. These just slipped down (well crunched down actually! :D) with very little effort on my part ;) as a snack. I think it's still better than the evil shenanigans of a multi pack calling to me from the pantry, but don't think I will make them as a snack too often. Now, for lunch, with hummus, cherry vine toms, jalapenos, pickled onions, carrot sticks, gherkins ... Hmmmm! :drool:

Yup, there is no way I would let myself have these as a snack! :eek: Meal accompaniment only. :cool:

Just made a batch of these as part of our lunch, they were delicious, going to do some experimenting with the recipe..add red onion and shake a little bbq seasoning in them and see how they taste :)

Morrisons quick & easy cheese & onion mash ,
Is it free on EE or must I syn it ?
Want to make the scones ! Help please

I finally got around to making cheese scones. sw stylie! They were amazing, they had a real cheese and onion pasty quality to them. The family loved them too.

300g chive and onion cottage cheese
Salt and pepper to season.
2 eggs.
100g instant mash (dried powder form)
Frylight.

Whizz the cottage cheese with a hand blender, season and whizz in the 2 eggs.
Stir in the instant mash powder to make a dough like consistency.
Separate into balls and flatten.
Put in an oven tray and frylight for 20 mins.
Voila!

Free on a green day. I'd encourage all green day fans to try these, it's a little gem of a recipe. It could easily be converted into a green day cheese and onion pie in an individual pot to serve with vege sausages and beans. Winter food!
These could be jazzed up with garlic, chilli or fresh herbs. It works well with plain cottage cheese and dried chives too.

Hello ILoveCake, Just wanted to say thank you, I made these scones from your origional recipe today and they're lovely.

As others had said, I'd be wary of snackin on these, I've made them to go with Roast Pepper Soup this evening and shall have a couple for breakfast in the morning.

Like you, I'm a vegetarian following the green plan. Sometimes I really struggle with what to have instead of bread with soups and for brekkie- these are great.

Hi all, I have just read about these cheese scones. They sound too good to be true and I cannot wait to go shopping for quark and smash tomorrow! A couple of questions though, how long do you cook them for and on what temperature and do you have to add grated cheese?

Thanks

I love this thread, will def be trying these. x

Hi all, I have just read about these cheese scones. They sound too good to be true and I cannot wait to go shopping for quark and smash tomorrow! A couple of questions though, how long do you cook them for and on what temperature and do you have to add grated cheese?

Thanks

Hello Linzi11.

I didn't add any cheese, just followed the recipe in the first post - I was amazed how cheesy they tasted.

I cooked them at 190 for about 15 - 20 minutes, i kept an eye on them and took them out when they were golden - really lovely, I have a real savoury tooth and the options are a bit limited for us veggies on green - these really hit the spot.

Hi Sara, thanks for replying I can't wait to make them! I don't understand why your not supposed to snack on them though, if you are using syn free ingredients it should be free shouldn't it and therefore we should be able eat lots of them!

Hi Sara, thanks for replying I can't wait to make them! I don't understand why your not supposed to snack on them though, if you are using syn free ingredients it should be free shouldn't it and therefore we should be able eat lots of them!

I've never understood that either - if it's free, it's free surely? But experience shows that despite what SW say there are certain things that will slow your weight loss down.

I find that if I start snacking on lots of potato based things between meals I'll not do so well.
But as others have said, if its a choice between a couple of these scones or a bag of kettle chips, you're probably better off with the scones!

That's what I think, I always snack on the sw pasta n sauce quiche and still lose weight! I suppose it's just trial and error! Off to morrisons now for ingredients! X

Just bought the ingredients, so excited. Going to try a quark batch and a cottage cheese batch. I bought the morrisons own mash. It was 3 for a pound so I got a cheese and onion one, a roast onion one and z plain one, can't wait to experiment!

Back