Chickpea Chat

I think the reason why it's harder to come up with ideas when we're in a rush to unplan cook is, because we're hungry and or pressed for time. So the brain panicks, and we resort back to things that we've ate for most of our lives, which isn't low GI :(

Soo... this morning as I was eating my delicious oaty pancakes, I found myself thinking of white bean pancakes I made a year or so ago. (White bean pancakes with maple syrup « the beautiful diabetic - they actually weren't bad)

If you'd asked me 10 years ago if I would ever eat pancakes made out of beans, I'd have said NO. DEFINITELY NOT. What's the strangest thing you've eaten in the quest to become healthier or slimmer?

When I did LCHF (low carb high fat) diet, I would eat a lot of fat, like a slab of butter on celery, or cheese and butter. It was very difficult to put in my mouth, chew and swallow it.

clarri said:
Black bean brownies!!! I did the south beach diet a few years ago and tried all sorts of weird things, but it was so expensive, and full of artificial sweetener.

It's funny because I have some SB cookbooks and for the most part they have nice low GI recipes in them (some artificial sweeteners but Rick Gallop for example does too - tbh I just ignore these). It seems to be the slimming community who have gone a bit mad creating substitutes for things that aren't 'allowed'. Which reminds me very much of when I was doing Slimming World, people were making fake Ferrero Rocher out of Weetabix and pizza out of mashed potato and crisps out of lasagne and so on.

So, I have to know, how were the brownies? I've always been curious! :D

CaliSweden said:
When I did LCHF (low carb high fat) diet, I would eat a lot of fat, like a slab of butter on celery, or cheese and butter. It was very difficult to put in my mouth, chew and swallow it.

This makes me feel ill just to read about. It's a testament to your willpower, Cali, that you didn't cave at the first bite!

This makes me feel ill just to read about. It's a testament to your willpower, Cali, that you didn't cave at the first bite!

I'd have to say it was more that I was desperate to lose weight. I wanted to gag a lot of times, and found it very hard to swalllow my foods. Hints why I changed to low GI/GL :)

It's true what they say about higher GI foods making you hungrier over the rest of the day. Yesterday I had a naughty donut - I had it just after my lunch (so not on an empty stomach, and after a low GI meal) but for the rest of the day I was *starving*. I had a fairly large dinner but afterwards was still quite hungry (not 'oh I fancy an oaty biscuit' but 'I must eat two oaty biscuits and a glass of milk and stop myself from making a sandwich also') - there was no other logical reason for this, I hadn't accidentally run a 5K or anything.

I've noticed that too about high GI/GL foods. They make me really hungry all day long, and not just a normal hungry. It's really crazy how it makes you so hungry all day long.

It's a really ugly downward spiral with high GI/GL foods. I also realized that it was no wonder why I gained so much weight without eating a lot too, the high GI/GL foods contains a lot of calories.

It is crazy isn't it! I think the extra effect on the blood sugar also makes us more likely to store fat. I was also thinking the other day about how I used to eat and that it was no wonder I got pudgy!

Talking of high GI/GL, I just had a couple of home-made scotch pancakes, which I made with LO. I am still hungry. He ate half a one and the rest are still there looking at me. Hmmm. Must. Stop. Thinking. About. Them. Arrgghhh :eek:

AshieFan said:
Talking of high GI/GL, I just had a couple of home-made scotch pancakes, which I made with LO. I am still hungry. He ate half a one and the rest are still there looking at me. Hmmm. Must. Stop. Thinking. About. Them. Arrgghhh :eek:

Freeze them? Yum though, they sound good. :)

I haven't had pancakes in months now. I used to make them at least once or twice a month on weekend mornings for my OH. He really fell inlove with American style pancakes.

I will have to try them out :) Maybe this weekend, we'll see :)

I just had high gi food, so wondering how I will react. Had a fruit bake thingy - aldi version of go ahead bake bars. Had some pringle like crisps, and a slice of wholewheat brown bread with cheese slice..... Enjoyed it eating it, but now feel like Im so slumped its awful.
xx

Back