Chickpeas and Marmite

might be a better choice to have at xmas for a snack rather than dry roasted peanuts so if done as a rare treat or as a buffet plate its not as bad as some of the things we could have

My consultant promotes these things - Lasagne Crisps, Chickpea Cake etc etc. In fact she brought the cakes in to class for us to try!

Someone asked about the food abuse on the lasagne crisps and she said its best as part of a meal - my friend did chilli with lasagne nachos as part of her meal.

just goes to show that some people can have these things ok and some can't. If you have it as part of a meal, or just a small portion as a snack, I don't see what's wrong with it. The fact that they are healthier substitutions is a good thing..rather than high saturated fat crisps, or processed nuts

@tara - I know you didn't mean to mislead/ill advise or anything, its a really good idea, in moderation =) x

i use a whole can of chickpeas when making hummus as a snack not for a main meal and thats classed as syn free... i dont understand how this would then be different??

Because they're whole chickpeas just whizzed up so will be very filling, theyre still full of water. But once you roast them so they're dry they are a bit like eating a bag of crisps or something, all the water has been dried out of them, theyre tiny, weigh hardly anything and are not remotely filling so you are more likely to eat more of them (ie a lot more than the one tin of chickpeas you'd get in your hummus - which you're probably going to be eating other healthy stuff with as well such as carrots) and probably other food as well.

Its a bit like comparing eating a jacket potato and beans to a plate of SW crisps. A jacket potato and beans is definitely going to fill you up. A plate of SW chips has nearly the same calories as your jacket potato but is very definitely NOT going to fill you up.

Thing is, I sometimes roast chickpeas to bring out the flavour as part of meals. I don't use any more than usual. Sigh. This food abuse thing is confusing!

Yes, but then theyre part of a meal so its not a problem. Its when you roast them so they're totally dry and then snack on them on their own, quite possibly eating loads, that it starts to be 'food abuse' (words that I hate by the way as it makes it sound like a bladdy drug den or something :rolleyes: )

I think I must be the only person ever on slimming world to have never cooked with chickpeas! How do you do this recipe? Just drain the chickpeas, stir a spoon of marmite in then roast for half an hour?

I am wanting to be as good as possible over December lol, so will probs attach a syn value!

Seriously......food abuse is not about losing the water and drying foods out! If that was the case then a small glass of water to drink would replace what has been lost....job done!
And it doesn't explain why cous cous cake is 'food abuse' as that quite moist ;)
No water lost there!
It just means that you 'could' eat more as cake than you would as a meal and than go on to eat a meal aswell as your cous cous cake snack!!

Food abuse is simply about eating foods in a way that they were not intended, therefore supposedly taking in more calories than you would than if you were just having a meal.

And I'm sorry, I just don't buy the fact that a jacket potato will fill me more the SW crisps! I use the same amount of potato, cook it in exactly the same way, just cut it differently and present it on a plate differently. Why is that going to be less filling if I serve them both with beans?

Just eat them with marmite as a dip. lol[/QUOTE

think i will have a go at making them and they can be my peanut replacement snacky... i would only eat the same amount that i would if i made a batch of hummus.. i'll just buy the one tin so im not tempted to eat more!!!

Now I love crisps and I love baked beans. But a crisp and baked bean combo is a dish I would avoid :D

Maybe there is some truth in the dehydration argument. Fruits becomes synned/hexed when they are dried out. Maybe it is the same for chickpeas :confused: I don't know. I would rather have nuts as a healthy extra than dry out a chickpea, but that is because I am lazy and love nuts :D

Seriously......food abuse is not about losing the water and drying foods out! If that was the case then a small glass of water to drink would replace what has been lost....job done!

The only reason 'drying them out' matters is because they are then *less filling* so you are likely to eat MORE. Drying them out means you DO eat them in a way they're not intended. Two or three raw potatoes on their own would be *extremely* filling! In fact just one potato would be plenty, wheras one potato of crisps would NOT fill you up, so you're likely to make two or three potatoes worth - hence you've eaten 2 or 3 times as many calories.

And it doesn't explain why cous cous cake is 'food abuse' as that quite moist*
No water lost there!*
It just means that you 'could' eat more as cake than you would as a meal and than go on to eat a meal aswell as your cous cous cake snack!!

I don't know why you've got hung up on the 'water' thing? :confused: It really wasn't my point at all. My point was that if you make SW crisps or DRY chickpeas they will be lighter and less FILLING *even though* they have the SAME calories in as before you roasted them - so youre very likely to eat MORE (volume & calories) than you would in their uncooked state. What I said was:

"not remotely filling so you are more likely to eat more of them"

Nothing to do with the 'water' thing, just the amount you're likely to eat compared to if it *wasnt* cooked like that. :)

Its just one way we 'abuse' food and "use it in a way in which we shouldn't" like you say.

Food abuse is simply about eating foods in a way that they were not intended,therefore supposedly taking in more calories than you would than if you were just having a meal.*

Exactly! :)

And I'm sorry, I just don't buy the fact that a jacket potato will fill me more the SW crisps!

Then you have one weird appetite... :D it would take a LOT of crisps (a LOT more than ONE potato) to 'fill me up' as much as one baked potato! So I'd be eating more potatoes hence more calories to get equally full :)

I use the same amount of potato, cook it in exactly the same way, just cut it differently and present it on a plate differently. Why is that going to be less filling if I serve them both with beans?

But that's fine - if you use the same amount and serve with beans as part of a meal theres no problem, who said there was? :confused: No food abuse there, youve not eaten more than the snack version and the other parts of the meal (beans) will fill you up anyway. Good stuff!

Forget the water thing! - the only point was if you eat 'dry' stuff you're eating the same amount of calories in 'less' food (crisps dont take up as much space in your tummy as a whole potato!), so you wont get as full on the one potato and are pretty likely to eat MORE than one! Hence more calories.

Anyhow, Im going to bow out of this conversation as I dont seem to be explaining it well enough and I don't want to start upsetting anyone :confused:

PS: I still think the best rule is to use your common sense. Does it sound like a good idea to roast chickpeas/microwave crisps and eat them on their own in large quantities as a snack every day? No. Would it be OK on the odd occasion or with a proper meal. Yeah.

Peace x :)

Last edited:
Oh good God what's happened to this website??!

Scan Bran isn't free food, so you ALWAYS should be synning scan bran cake, or deducting 6 syns if using as a HEb.

Whoot!

Oh and PS... I lost 9 stone on SW using recipes like dried chickpea-nuts, it's when I STOPPED eating them that the weight came back on. For me, it's about eating more healthily rather than satiety. I didn't eat Walkers Max anymore, I had a tin of chickpeas instead. When I went back to my bad habits, oh hello lardarse!

Take from that what you will.

Last edited:
When i get bored i start to pick. i dont eat loads in volume but in syns it adds up. surely it would be better for me to make the chickpeas and marmite and snack on a few (maybe one large handful) then feel satisfied then opening a packet of scampi and lemon nik naks and eating the whole lot.

When i get bored i start to pick. i dont eat loads in volume but in syns it adds up. surely it would be better for me to make the chickpeas and marmite and snack on a few (maybe one large handful) then feel satisfied then opening a packet of scampi and lemon nik naks and eating the whole lot.

Not really - a tin of chickpeas contains about 300kcal (15 syns on Red) and I can fit that in about two handfuls *when its raw* - it'll be smaller than that when cooked (which was my original point ;) )

EDIT: OK Ive just weighed a medium handful of dried chickpeas (yes I am anal :rolleyes: ) - it's 55g. Going by syns online:

Chickpeas, 25g dry 4

So technically 'a handful' of dried chickpeas (55g) is 9 syns (180 kcal) (And you gotta add your Marmite calories to that ;) )

Whereas a packet of scampi and lemon nik naks is 159kcal - 8 syns.

But my point is it would be hard to stick to just ONE handful of chickpeas :)

But you're free to choose whatever you want to do. (We're gonna have a good time! We're gonna have a PARTY! :rolleyes: Ahem. *re-assembles self* ) You can skirt around it and tweak it in any way you want - theyre still not free!!! :)

I 'tweak' every day but I know Im tweaking ;) I know my non-wholemeal bread is NOT REALLY a HEX, but then I dont tell myself it is :)

/soapbox

oohh scampi and lemon nik naks...... i can never find the damn things... possibly a good thing though =(

They dont make 'em any more :( :cry:

Maybe we'll all have to stuff our faces with CHICKPEAS instead??!! :eek: :8855:

has anyone tried this.
They were talking about Christmas snacks and someone came up with;
mixing a tin of chickpeas with marmite then put on a baking tray and bake for 30mins. Then turn the oven off and let dry out for however long.
They are meant to be gorgeous and syn free.

:yuk:

:sign0137:

:9529:

Back